Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite books??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457320)

Holly dolly 10-25-2012 09:38 AM

Favorite books???

I am going to get my boys some books for Christmas. They LOVE to read, and we go through books like crazy. We have a TON of old Golden Books and other random books that I've picked up at yard sales and such.

What is your suggestion for good children's books (preferably that aren't $12+ per book)? Favorite author or series (we love Eric Carle, Laura Numeroff, Dr. Seuss...)? My boys are 2 and 5. I would love Christian themed books!!

**Before you ask...we live in a rural area. My oldest ds is in kindergarten but is only allowed to go to the library once a week. The closest public library is 20 miles away and we don't get there often at all.**

foggierbard9 10-25-2012 09:48 AM

Re: Favorite books???

Favorite books in our house:
I'll love you Forever
Dr. Seuss
Eric Carle
Berenstain Bears(they have a bunch that are Christian stories too)
Beatrix Potter
Winnie the Pooh

My kids also like some chapter books. We read Magic Treehouse all the time and then have Read Along copies of Little House on the Prairie(just the first book), Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ramona, and Walk Two Moons.

My kids are 4 months, 2 1/2 yrs and 5 yrs old...don't do much reading to the 4 month old yet.

danielle 10-25-2012 09:58 AM

Look into Jon Muth. Although he has more of a Buddhist outlook, they are high quality stories.

tallanvor 10-25-2012 10:16 AM

In addition to the above, we have enjoyed...

the Giggle, Giggle books (Giggle, Giggle, Quack; Duck for President; Click, Clack, Moo; etc)
Jan Brett books
Thomas the Tank Engine
Harry and the Terrible Whatsit
Charlie and Lola

I word of caution on the Berenstein Bears books. You might not care so much, but in case you would, I have found that many of these books portray the dad as stupid, as the children knowing more than the dad, and the mom basically as never doing anything wrong. Not all the books are like that, but many of them are. I screen the ones we get from the library.

Oh, and chapter books would be good at that age, too. In addition to the ones above, we like Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton), Hank the Cowdog, Adventures in Oddessey (some of these are really geared for older kids, so while there wouldn't be anything bad, there may be stuff above their level), Chronicals of Narnia, Roverandom, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, and Redwall.

cheezpoofs 10-25-2012 10:31 AM

My kids love: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Gruffalo (This one is great! I highly recommend it!), Love You Forever, The Little Lost Duckling, Go, Dog, Go, anything Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton books, Clifford books, Li'l Critter books, The Berenstein Bears, Disney, Curious George, etc.

One great way to get books on the cheap is through Craigslist. I have found boxes of books that had a hundred or more books in them for only twenty-five dollars or so. Can't beat that price!

JennTheMomma 10-25-2012 10:32 AM

Little Critter
Strega Nona
Splat the Cat
Fancy Nancy
Bereanstein Bears
Frog and Toad
Little Bear

mibarra 10-25-2012 10:43 AM

I love love love the Llama llama books, and they have a Llama Llama Holiday Drama one about Christmas. ;)

Holly dolly 10-25-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 15856626)
In addition to the above, we have enjoyed...

the Giggle, Giggle books (Giggle, Giggle, Quack; Duck for President; Click, Clack, Moo; etc)
Jan Brett books
Thomas the Tank Engine
Harry and the Terrible Whatsit
Charlie and Lola

I word of caution on the Berenstein Bears books. You might not care so much, but in case you would, I have found that many of these books portray the dad as stupid, as the children knowing more than the dad, and the mom basically as never doing anything wrong. Not all the books are like that, but many of them are. I screen the ones we get from the library.

Oh, and chapter books would be good at that age, too. In addition to the ones above, we like Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton), Hank the Cowdog, Adventures in Oddessey (some of these are really geared for older kids, so while there wouldn't be anything bad, there may be stuff above their level), Chronicals of Narnia, Roverandom, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, and Redwall.

I have noticed that about the BB books. :( I always screen what I read too. I had forgotten about Jan Brett!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezpoofs (Post 15856696)
My kids love: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Gruffalo (This one is great! I highly recommend it!), Love You Forever, The Little Lost Duckling, Go, Dog, Go, anything Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton books, Clifford books, Li'l Critter books, The Berenstein Bears, Disney, Curious George, etc.

One great way to get books on the cheap is through Craigslist. I have found boxes of books that had a hundred or more books in them for only twenty-five dollars or so. Can't beat that price!

We have several Sandra Boynton books...I'm going to check out The Gruffalo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 15856700)
Little Critter
Strega Nona
Splat the Cat
Fancy Nancy
Bereanstein Bears
Frog and Toad
Little Bear

I LOVED Strega Nona and Little Bear when I was a kid...wonder if my mom still has them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 15856753)
I love love love the Llama llama books, and they have a Llama Llama Holiday Drama one about Christmas. ;)

Definitely checking these out!!

keysersoze 10-25-2012 11:00 AM

miss rumphius, Barbara cooney
anything by bill peet, William steig, Julia Donaldson, Elsa beskow
the tomten by Astrid lindgren and her other books.
little house books
Eleanor estes, the moffats
knuffle bunny trilogy
boxcar children

Holly dolly 10-25-2012 08:02 PM

Thanks everyone!! I have several authors to search now!!