Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you deal with earache? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457368)

vatblack 10-25-2012 11:33 AM

How do you deal with earache?

I am looking for a home remedy for earache. I do not think my daughter has something really bad going on in her ear. She had a bit of trouble sleeping last night until I gave her Motrin. Today she is playing, running going on as normal but now and again I see her cup her hand over her right ear. When I ask her if it hurts I get a "yes" sometimes and a "no" at other times.

I remember as a kid my mother used to put something hot in and let me lie down on the "good" ear.

Anything you'd recommend?

Oh, I need to mention that we are all just getting over a bad cold/flu. My left ear is also sensitive when I swallow or cough... I think my daughter has the same problem as me.

vatblack 10-25-2012 12:32 PM

Re: How do you deal with earache?

Anybody?

Kiliki 10-25-2012 12:38 PM

It actually could just be normal swelling/draining that happens when you get a cold.

I have sensitive ears, and if I get a cold, my ears hurt. The cold goes away, and then the pain subsides within a day or two.

I probably wouldn't do anything unless it starts to get infected. You can always try a heating pad on the sore ear, but that might be a bit much for a kid.

I have heard of others putting warm olive oil in their ears, or hydrogen peroxide. But I think that is more for wax issues. Though the oil might help ease the pain a bit.

3Xblessed 10-25-2012 12:39 PM

We have heat bags made out of flax seed that I heat in the microwave. I have also used trumeel (sp) which is a homeopathic ear ache cure and it seems to help. That and motrin for pain...ear aches are the worst.

Kiliki 10-25-2012 12:54 PM

If you tug on her earlobe, or rub behind her ear, does it hurt her? Sometimes that can give you some indication of how "sore" it really is.

bigmamakelsey 10-25-2012 12:56 PM

You can heat an onion in the oven, let it sit until warm, and put it up against your ear.

MommyZ of 2 10-25-2012 01:07 PM

Similisan makes ear drops that work great for pain. It is immediate for me. They cost a lot, though, and I have no idea what's in them. They're a homeopathic section item at the drug store.

Kiliki 10-25-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2 (Post 15857507)
Similisan makes ear drops that work great for pain. It is immediate for me. They cost a lot, though, and I have no idea what's in them. They're a homeopathic section item at the drug store.

I noticed nothing when I used those. I was really disappointed. :/

Holly dolly 10-25-2012 01:30 PM

Just to caution you...if the earache is due to infection...do not take it lightly! If left untreated it can cause permanent hearing loss!! I am not pro-antibiotic, but earaches/infections are not something I'm willing to mess with.

I work for an audiologist and I've seen sad cases where kids were not treated and will have to deal with permanent hearing loss for the rest of their lives. :( I am not accusing you of that :) but just want to give a word of caution. Sometimes in our quest to protect our children, we can end up doing more harm than good. (((hugs)))

Kiliki 10-25-2012 01:44 PM

OP, I'm sorry. Pardon me while I hi-jack your thread for a sec.... :blush:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly dolly (Post 15857609)
Just to caution you...if the earache is due to infection...do not take it lightly! If left untreated it can cause permanent hearing loss!! I am not pro-antibiotic, but earaches/infections are not something I'm willing to mess with.

I'm not saying this ISN'T true. But I think it would have to get REALLY bad - like stuff oozing from your ear - before it got to that point. Am I right??? (genuine question)

I only ask b/c I grew up in a poor family. We had no health insurance. More than once, I can remember my ear swelling SHUT. Like, couldn't even get a Q-tip in it, it was h the touch, I could barely get a shirt on b/c the pain from just having the shirt touch my outer ear would send me into tears.... And I never had abx. Maybe once or twice. I swear I spent a good 75% of my childhood with a serious-moderate ear infection in one or both ears.

My hearing is totally fine.

so it makes me wonder how severe would it have to be to get to the point of PERMANENT hearing damage? I've heard of temporary hearing loss, when the eardrum pops from the pressure, and then it heals. But I've truly never heard of anything coming permanent coming from a run-of-the-mill ear infection, even the most painful ones.