Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Green snot=antibiotics? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457378)

menthomas 10-25-2012 01:02 PM

I generally try to stay away from antibiotics as much as possible. Ds1 who's almost three has been on them 3 times so far. But now both ds1 and 2 have colds. Nasty green snot. Mean antibiotics are needed? No fevers at all. So can we just wait it out for a few more days? It's been about 2 days so far. Snot is getting worse though.

Christylkeller 10-25-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Green snot=antibiotics?

I would up what ever you are doing. LOTS of fluid (juice, water, tea, soups (broth based)), LOTS of saline, and either a vaporizer or humidifier at night. Also, playing in a hot steamy bathroom. You want to snot to come out and not stay in the body. I wouldn't go running yet to get an antibiotic since they don't have a fever, but if you don't get it really flowing out and the longer it sits, the more likely they will get a fever and be in need of antibiotics.

Shimpie 10-25-2012 01:10 PM

It's just a cold right? Colds are caused by a virus and antibiotics will do nothing for a viral infection. Even when I get a cold, I have nasty green snot.

Now if the boys are having difficulty breathing and non-stop coughing, then take them in to the doctor.

Hungry Caterpillar 10-25-2012 01:11 PM

I always thought that green = bacteria but last time I went in they told me new research shows that yellow and green can mean virus, too.

The steamy bathroom is very good for draining. You can also put a couple drops of Eucalyptus EO on the bottom of the shower and let that steam up.

If you do have insurance and it seems like it's not just in their head but in the chest, I would go in.

JennTheMomma 10-25-2012 01:15 PM

Unless there are more symptoms I wouldn't worry and just keep them hydrated, lots of rest, and nutritional foods.

abunchoflemons 10-25-2012 01:21 PM

How long has this been? U don't want it to end up in lungs as bronchitis or like. Get stuff out. Vicks if hard to breathe. Sore throat?

Kiliki 10-25-2012 01:32 PM

The big thing that sticks out to me is "no fever" ... obviously I'm not a doctor. And no, I don't have a "google degree" just life experience, as I grew up w/o health insurance and have only actually had it for maybe 2-3 yrs now.... you kind of realize humans are a lot more resilient than a lot of ppl think...

Anyway, my experience is, no fever, no lethargy, no difficulty breathing = things are more than likely fine and will probably clear up. Wait and see. Hope your babies feel better soon! :hugs:

Computermama 10-25-2012 01:42 PM

Green = infection, but not necessarily a bacterial infection. DD2 and I have a nasty cold and lots of green snot, but I'm dead certain it's just good old rhinovirus. Nothing to do but do my best to keep us comfortable and wait it out.

songbird516 10-25-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki (Post 15857296)
The big thing that sticks out to me is "no fever" ... obviously I'm not a doctor. And no, I don't have a "google degree" just life experience, as I grew up w/o health insurance and have only actually had it for maybe 2-3 yrs now.... you kind of realize humans are a lot more resilient than a lot of ppl think...

Anyway, my experience is, no fever, no lethargy, no difficulty breathing = things are more than likely fine and will probably clear up. Wait and see. Hope your babies feel better soon! :hugs:

I agree. I would not get antibiotics for those symptoms.

bigmamakelsey 10-25-2012 01:58 PM

I wouldn't. DS has had green snot colds quite a few times. He's 3 and has never been on antibiotics - it'll clear on it's own:)