Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Prepping/stripping used diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457533)

linzerin 10-25-2012 08:39 PM

Prepping/stripping used diapers

Hello everyone!

We are expecting our first in February and have started buying a variety of used dipes on here over the past few weeks. I have mostly fitteds, covers and inserts.

I'm looking for advice on how I should prep my used diapers.

1. Should strip them? Almost all are in EUC and barely used.

2. Should I bleach them? Don't know if I should be worried about yeast, bacteria, etc.

3. Do I handle the fitteds, inserts differently than the covers (covers are all PUL)?

4. Since I still have about 4 months until they will be on a baby bum, should I do this now, or closer to my due date?

Thanks mamas, you are a wealth of knowledge!!
~Lindsay

urbanalbino 10-25-2012 09:07 PM

Re: Prepping/stripping used diapers

I am also new, expecting my first in Jan, but from my research, you shouldn't use bleach. Not sure why, but most people I've run into use RLR instead of bleach. As far as waiting or doing it now.. I'd go ahead and do it. I always say its better to be prepared. I'm not sure about the stripping -- I would think that if they don't stink or aren't stained, stripping probably isn't necessary, but we'll see what other more experience mommas have to say. =) --Rachel

Friesjm 10-25-2012 09:22 PM

Ooh good question! Expecting our first in 5 weeks... Eek! Need to start prepping mine too!

Ladybugmama 10-25-2012 09:49 PM

I would wash with a few drops of tea tree oil to kill bacteria & possible yeast. Then you can strip with a few drops of dawn dish soap & line dry.

nonipie 10-25-2012 09:56 PM

Many people use bleach; it's fine to use. I personally always bleach new to me diapers. You can not see yeast, ammonia or lingering bacteria just by looking at the diaper and it has nothing to do with the condition of the diaper so better safe than sorry. I also always strip. Buildup is also not something you can always see. Too many people think some stink is normal for me to take a chance with bacteria on my baby's bum.

You can wash it all together, no need to seperate by type. I would strip then wash in your normal detergent with bleach. No reaon why you can't do it no so that's one less thing to worry about down the road.

lady longs 12-11-2012 08:40 PM

Bumping this really helpful thread as I am stripping and disinfecting a lot of flats/covers/trainers that I just got.

I made the mistake of NOT doing that with my sons "new" trainers (I just threw them in the wash) and he woke up with an ammonia burn. I felt so bad.

So, I figured others may need to be reminded too!

1)Strip
2)Wash & Disinfect

Easy peasy.....

One question:

Anyone know if you do all the rinsing that you would normally do following a stripping immediately after the stripping OR if you would just wait and do it following the washing & disinfecting stage?

cdeweese 12-11-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady longs (Post 16032607)
Bumping this really helpful thread as I am stripping and disinfecting a lot of flats/covers/trainers that I just got.

I made the mistake of NOT doing that with my sons "new" trainers (I just threw them in the wash) and he woke up with an ammonia burn. I felt so bad.

So, I figured others may need to be reminded too!

1)Strip
2)Wash & Disinfect

Easy peasy.....

One question:

Anyone know if you do all the rinsing that you would normally do following a stripping immediately after the stripping OR if you would just wait and do it following the washing & disinfecting stage?

I would do all the rinsing after stripping/before disinfecting.

I also use bleach on everything (and 2-3 Tbsp in every load). I've been doing this with PUL, microfiber, organic cotton, regular cotton, hemp and microfiber for over a year. All of my diapers look new and I've never had a problem :)

lady longs 12-11-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese (Post 16032641)
I would do all the rinsing after stripping/before disinfecting.

Thanks for this tip! I will do that...

I also use bleach on everything (and 2-3 Tbsp in every load). I've been doing this with PUL, microfiber, organic cotton, regular cotton, hemp and microfiber for over a year. All of my diapers look new and I've never had a problem :)

I keep seeing this over and over by lots of mamas. Its pretty surprising to me!

I am not opposed to bleach, but we never really needed it on the last kiddo we diapered. Never had a problem at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time and hoping for the same luck