Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Food suggestions during labor (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457788)

amb2j 10-26-2012 02:10 PM

Food suggestions during labor

During the birth of my DS (24 hours of labor) I wasnt the best about eating or drinking...to be honest, I went into labor at 445 am, ate a light breakfast at 930am (it was VERY early labor so things were barely happening), but then basically refused any food or drink until my son was born at 442 the next morning. Like many laboring moms, I was just too focused on birthing and too uncomfortable and nauseous to even think of eating. Well, now that I am expecting my second, I know better! I was the most exhausted Ive ever felt in my entire life after birthing my son, and also ran into some problems with regression and stalling which Im sure werent helped by a body that wasnt fed.

All this to say...any palatable, easily consumed and nutritious snacks that you found best during labor? I dont plan on eating frequently, so I want to get a good bang for my buck. FWIW Ill be laboring at home as long as possible and then on to the birth center :-).

raisingcropsandbabies 10-28-2012 04:06 AM

Re: Food suggestions during labor

With my first I did NOT want to eat in labor. IT was a long, rough one though and the midwife insisted I eat spoonfulls of honey to booster my energy throughout it. It went down fast and I didn't have to think about how much I didn't want to eat it for too long! haha. So maybe have a container of local honey (or honey sticks) ready. It took me a few years to want honey again, but it must have gave me the energy I needed when I needed it though!

247mom 10-29-2012 04:05 AM

Usually really eating good complex carbs and a good amt of protein when approaching labor and then complex and simple carbs during labor can work well. If you have a support person w. you who has some snacks ready and can encourage you enough to eat them, many women find that eating during labor keeps their energy up better. I ate things like cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, and crackers and PB. I drank a lot of Red Rasp. Leaf tea w/ plenty of honey to sweeten it and a pinch of good quality sea salt for nutrients. Many women like to drink an electrolyte solution to keep their energy up during labor too and replace electrolytes lost. HTH!!

NappyChappy 10-29-2012 02:44 PM

I am always hungry and I had little ham and cheese sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls, sliced avocados, and cool ranch doritos. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. For lunch the day of birth I had Skyline Chili and wheat crackers.

DragonnMama 10-29-2012 03:10 PM

I second the tiny, tiny bites idea. We were in the hospital unexpectedly and my husband still snuck me itty bitty bites of everything -- granola bars, fruit snacks, you name it!

andrea020611 10-29-2012 08:19 PM

I tried to snack during labour, but would throw it all back up. I did have lots of Gatorade though, DH would pass me the bottle for a sip between each contraction. Luckily I was labouring on the toilet cause I had to pee pretty often ;)

JennTheMomma 10-30-2012 09:58 AM

For me I eat yogurt, small PB sandwiches or PB on crackers, luna bars.

steph410 10-30-2012 10:49 AM

I had little individual applesauces and granola bars.

jlsquire0324 10-30-2012 12:23 PM

Nothing that gives you heartburn!! That during labor (especially if you vomit like me) is the absolute worst!!!

nicksgrl126 11-01-2012 11:53 AM

I always recommend honey sticks, hummus, and smoothies to my doula clients.