Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I being to paranoid? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457838)

DalesWidda 10-26-2012 05:06 PM

Am I being to paranoid?

Today dd (9) went to a halloween party. I went in, met the grandma of the kids hosting the party, etc. I felt fine leaving her, but on my way out I noticed about 8 kids jumping around in a trampoline. They were jumping up and down, rolling around, one girl was getting her cape pulled. I went back in the house and told dd and then the grandma that I didn't want her in the trampoline. I was very nice and didn't explain or anything. All I said was, "I let dd know that I would prefer she stay out of the trampoline. I wanted to let you know as well."

Am I just overprotective? All I could think of was someone getting hurt, trampoled on, falling out, etc. And there were no adults outside watching. I hate for her to be the odd one out, but....

Resellmybelle 10-26-2012 05:09 PM

Re: Am I being to paranoid?

A neighbor child broke his arm when he went flying off the trampoline at our home.

Nobody was out back watching, I was a kid myself so I do not remember all the details. Needless to say, he never came back to our house to play, lol.

Better safe than sorry!!! You can let her jump on one sometime when you are supervising her to make up for it.

mmmom 10-26-2012 05:53 PM

I own a trampoline for my kids and I would have done the same thing, well almost I would have told my kids the same rules applied as at our house 1-2 kids at a time so she would need to wait until all the other kids got out.
My daughter is taught trampoline safety in her tumbling class and takes it very serious so I know she would listen.

tallanvor 10-26-2012 06:29 PM

That is too many kids for a trampoline, especially if they are older and bigger. If someone had been out there watching them and if they had clothes on that weren't likely to get caught and pulled, and whatnot, maybe it would've been okay.

DalesWidda 10-26-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 15862945)
That is too many kids for a trampoline, especially if they are older and bigger. If someone had been out there watching them and if they had clothes on that weren't likely to get caught and pulled, and whatnot, maybe it would've been okay.

yeah, if there would have been an adult out there and some groundrules laid out I would have been fine with it.

Terra 10-26-2012 06:33 PM

Personally, no I don't think it's paranoid. I would have been the same too. With things like that I do like to be safe because it *is* easy to get hurt if there are too many. Hope her party was great!

misskira 10-26-2012 06:39 PM

I was in gymnastics class when I hyperextended my knee because another girl pushed me. Accidents on trampolines are so easy to happen. That many kids and no supervision is asking for disaster. I think you handled it well.

luvsviola 10-26-2012 06:43 PM

I'm kinda surprised she was letting them on it at a party. What a huge liability!

I would have told DD that I would stay and watch her jump, but that she wasn't to jump while I wasn't there in case she got hurt.

TwinKristi 10-26-2012 07:03 PM

The first day we had our trampoline we let the boys and a couple neighbors jump and someone pulled on my DS and his face slammed into the framing and busted his lip open. Dh took it down while we were at the ER for stitches...
You're not being overprotective at all. She mustn't realize the risk she's taking!

Angel89411 10-26-2012 07:30 PM

I was on a trampoline at a party as a preteen. Too many, too rowdy. My ankle got caught between the webbing and bar and I fell to the ground.

Not overprotective.