Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need help with shoes... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457851)

misskira 10-26-2012 05:50 PM

Need help with shoes...

Ds2 has some kind of weirdness on his feet. Kind of like callouses, with red in them. Puffy and firm, but not blisters and they don't seem painful. They are on the inside heel and ball of his foot and big toe, on both feet. They've been there for a couple weeks so I took him to the doctor today to make sure it wasn't a fungus or something. We didn't see our usual doc, and this one was nice enough. She seems to think its from his shoes since the rash is on both feet and in the same spots. It's odd because ds doesn't wear shoes often. Usually only in the store a few times/week. Not at home and not in the car. And he's had these shoes since August.

So all that to say I guess we need new shoes. Ds has wide feet... His current shoes are stride rite, regular style soles since he's been walking so long. Any suggestions for different shoes? maybe something semi soft soled? He needs waterproof since we live in Oregon. And they need to be wide.

Or any other ideas on the rash/callous?

earthflower 10-26-2012 06:07 PM

Re: Need help with shoes...

Ds used to wear stride rites wide.

misskira 10-26-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflower (Post 15862850)
Ds used to wear stride rites wide.

That's what we have now. And ds1 has always worn xw stride rites with no issue. We've never had any other brand in the house because of our duck feet. So I'm at a loss. Ds1 has the same shoes, just bigger, and has been wearing them much much more often with no issues. It's so weird. I still don't think it's the shoes really but don't have a better idea.

Suzi 10-26-2012 06:26 PM

I agree with the doc that if he has the same spots on each foot it is probably his shoes. His feet may have grown so that could account for why his feet are showing the problem more recently.

When I sold kids shoes Stride Rite Wides were the average, Mediums/Regular were actually too narrow for most kids. A lot of their shoes come XW and some come XXW.

Make sure you don't have him super poofy athletic type socks. They take up more room in the shoe and then have a thicker seam.

earthflower 10-26-2012 06:45 PM

Does he have a narrow high arch?

Lands End -which you can buy at Sears stores as well as online- has shoes that comes in wides and in lots of colors
online shoes.com, shoebuy.com, zappos.com, or the like, probably has the most options in wides. Also Crocs and if you want rubber soles that are really flexible check out www.livieandluca.com