Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   anyone not giving babies animal products? need advice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457948)

rosi_cakes 10-26-2012 11:50 PM

anyone not giving babies animal products? need advice

Hi everyone :) my son is 7 1/2 months and the ppl working WIC I should start giving him chicken, ground beef and plain yogurt. Is this really necesary? I don't really want him to have any dairy until he's older. And as for meat I'm just against giving it him so young. When he is older he can decide for himself if he wants to eat meat. These are just my believes and just want to know if I'm wrong in not feeding him these things.

rosi_cakes 10-26-2012 11:54 PM

Re: anyone not giving babies animal products? need advice

P.S. he's breastfed and has been doing great on fruits and veggies if that makes any difference

shortcake2386 10-26-2012 11:54 PM

we dont. well. dd2 grabbed steak from dh when she was 10 months old(and ate it)but we dont actually cook red meat(dh just gets it if we go out) so its not in our house. the others were well over a year before they had chicken or fish. before that it was fruits, veggies and whole grains. we may have done yogurt a little before a year for ds though.

rosi_cakes 10-27-2012 12:05 AM

Wow really? So I can wait on giving him meat? I just don't see the point of giving meat such a young age.

neuro_mom 10-27-2012 12:27 AM

I thought you didn't introduce meat until 1 year of age (at least that's what I've read in a few books). Pediatrician told me that there are two different arguments on giving foods that lo can be allergic to. One argument is that the earlier you introduce the foods, the less likely they are to become allergic to them. The other argument is that you should wait until they are older before introducing potentially allergenic foods. He said that the research was pretty split so that you'd be wrong 50% of the time with which ever decision you made. Go figure. :~ I haven't paid any attention to when you can introduce dairy because my lo is sensitive to dairy (I'm bf'ing and can't eat dairy or it makes him colicky).

rosi_cakes 10-27-2012 12:56 AM

I don't drink or eat dairy (I'm vegan) so can't know if ds is sensitive to dairy which makes me even more nervous trying it

Esmerelda_RB 10-27-2012 09:15 AM

We're vegetarians, so no meat at all here! And I'm delaying cow's milk (and yogurt, cheese, etc), since mama's milk supplies all the nutrients she needs right now. If you think about it, when they say give whole cow's milk for babies under 2 years, babies really could just be having mama's milk.

rosi_cakes 10-27-2012 11:00 AM

that's so true thank you I feel much better about ignoring the nutritionist's suggestions lol

ohio_mama05 10-27-2012 06:13 PM

Neither of my kids would eat the meats. EVER. I tasted them myself and see why. Yuck!

leyash 10-27-2012 06:15 PM

I thought you weren't even supposed to give them dairy until a year. I wouldn't give my child under a year "real" food anyway. Mashed potatoes, maybe. Baby food, sure... but geez, most doctors don't recommend starting them on baby food until 4-6 months, and then 6 weeks later they want them on "real" food? No. I would let go of the benefits if they forced me to feed my child something I didn't want to feed them.