Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Anyone here have a csection due to HELLP? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458031)

lizzy911 10-27-2012 12:55 PM

Anyone here have a csection due to HELLP?

Hello! I'm new here. I normally post on another forum but I want to start PMing people so I figure I might as well join in for a bit.

I recently had my first baby. I had pregnancy induced hypertension starting at 32 weeks but it was well controlled. Then I suddenly had a nightmare experience and ended up getting an emergency c section due to HELLP syndrome at 37 weeks.

Anyway, just curious if there were other HELLP mamas here and if so, how are you handling future pregnancies? Are you going to a high risk doctor? What did your doctor say about your chance of getting HELLP again - I have seen statistics as low as 5% and as high as 25%.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-28-2012 05:29 AM

Re: Anyone here have a csection due to HELLP?

I have not had a c-section due to HELLP, but I just wanted to say "hi" and I am glad you and your baby are doing well.

Maybe post about HELLP on the labor or pregnancy board because I know I've seen a few women on here say they have had it with their first, but not their subsequent babies.

Mom2Connor 10-28-2012 08:02 AM

I did, but it didn't develop until just over 38 wks (DS was 10 days early). It was a scary miserable (because I was so scared, sick, and have virtually no memory of DS's first 24 hrs once we were back in the L&D room) experience, the mag was AWFUL as I'm sure you experienced. We are 15 wks with our second (due in April) so right now it's just a waiting game. I am using the same OB, I figure they took good care of me and DS the first time so why not trust them this time. Hopefully I do not have to reevaluate that line of thinking. We were on the high risk floor for the entire stay with DS. My dr said we would not be on the high risk floor for this one unless there was a problem, but I personally don't care which floor we deliever on - as long as they keep us safe.

She did not express any concern that it would repeat itself, and said there isn't much you can do to prevent it, so just take good care of myself and we'll take things as they come. We are currently planning on a medicated hospital VBAC (natural folk need not critique ;) ) but if a c-section happens, it happens. I don't have any feelings one way or the other and I don't get "labor disappointment" based on how baby comes out of me. It's all natural and the same to me if I grew the baby for 9 months and it comes out of my vagina or my belly or my nose! I would hate to have to repeat the mag and c-section recovery, but beyond that......

swrlgrl105 11-05-2012 02:45 PM

I personally have not, but my cousin ended up having an emergency c-section with her first at 24 weeks :( She was SOOOOOO sick and almost died, her little guy was such a fighter though, and is now almost 10 months chronogical. He has some vision and digestive issues but so far, other than that he is good :)

her Dr. told her that he strongly advises against having any more since she developed it so severely so early on, and next time she and/or the baby could die. its a really scary condition from what I saw