Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What does it feels like having Mirena removed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458257)

Anna0623 10-28-2012 08:33 AM

What does it feels like having Mirena removed?

I m having mine removed tomorrow after a little over 2 1/2 years. DH will be staying home with the kids. Will I feel good enough to safely drive back home. The doctors are only ten minutes away. I'm just checking because I had crazy cramping when I had it placed, and want to make sure I won't need DH to drive me.Tahnks for any in put.
UPDATE: Thanks to the storm where having in Virginia the doctors office will be closed, and soonest afternoon availability was not until November 28th!! So i guess i have to deal with all the great side effects of mirena for another month.

mayliz 10-28-2012 08:55 AM

Well, my experience having it removed was not normal. The doctor couldn't find the strings and had to perform a mini-surgery in his office, which meant getting injected with three needles down there and then using something he called a sound device, basically a long rod with a hook at the end to dilate the cervix. I was dizzy afterwards and he gave me four Advil. It hurt like hell, not gonna lie. I screamed so hard my husband heard me in the waiting room and then I pretty much said, let's not do this, leave it in there. I'm a wimp! Hahaha. It was a good thing my husband went with me because I was in quite a bit of pain and shaken. But I think I would've been able to drive after an hour or so. Here's the thing, it's NOT common for that to happen. A few women do need surgery to have it removed but if you normally check your strings and can find them, technically you could pull it out yourself (not recommending, that). Mine retracted way up into the uterus. Because my husband was there, the OB went ahead and got it out. But it was a close call. I was fine afterwards...well, removing the Mirena brought on all kinds of unpleasant side-effects, too, but that's another story.

mayliz 10-28-2012 08:58 AM

Oh, and the removal itself is fine, not at all painful. Feels like a space has been open. You might get a little light-headed but shouldn't be awful or anything. The problem is when they can't find the strings.

MommyMeads 10-28-2012 09:15 AM

Re: What does it feels like having Mirena removed?

I had a different IUD (the copper one) removed and hardly felt anything. Having it put in I about passed out. It was so fast. They just reached up and pulled it out. Wasn't painful at all. Hope your experience is good like mine : )

cacasey1981 10-28-2012 11:03 AM

Like magic awesomeness. 100% less painful than insertion

lilg82882 10-28-2012 12:28 PM

Getting mine in was a crampy feeling. I didn't even feel a thing and couldn't believe she got it out so fast ::giggle2:

Anna0623 10-28-2012 01:23 PM

Its good to hear good storys. Keeping my fingers crissed i can only feel one string. But i bet it wont compare to all the discomfort and swelling i have had in the last 2 1/2 years.

BunnyMcFluff 10-28-2012 01:32 PM

I didn't feel a thing.

geetabean 10-28-2012 09:01 PM

I've had the mirena taken out twice. It is quick and painless. You might feel a little something, like a twinge, but it's not painful! From my experience you'll probably bleed a little bit for a couple days, so you might want to have pads on you and then for me, after about a week and a half I got my first normal AF. If things go how they are "supposed" to, you won't feel anything other than a little discomfort and maybe a little cramping after the fact. Good luck! :goodvibes:

Fishie Kisses 10-29-2012 01:01 AM

I didn't even feel it!