Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The great pumpkin debate-can I cook up a regular pumpkin? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458259)

bfuzzy2 10-28-2012 08:34 AM

The great pumpkin debate-can I cook up a regular pumpkin?

My boys received two pumpkins yesterday for free and we will probably just roast the seeds from it, but no carving or decorating as we have already done that. So I was thinking of cooking them up and freezing in 1 cup increments for later cooking and baking. It seems so wasteful not to.

Am I insane to do this? :loony:

slimy72 10-28-2012 08:57 AM

Re: The great pumpkin debate-can I cook up a regular pumpkin?

Nope, I do it every year. Some pumpkins are better than others for cooking up, but they all work. If it's the jackolantern kind instead of a pie pumpkin make sure you bake it flesh side up to loose some of the water so it is thicker.

Mama*Kim 10-28-2012 07:53 PM

You can bake up any pumpkin. The bigger, lighter ones (usually for jack o lanterns) tend to be a little more bland and not as sweet. Totally doable, but you may need to tweak recipes a touch.

Geckmumto3 10-29-2012 07:42 AM

Yes, I do it, too. I just cook them as I would a squash. As previous poster said, you may have to tweak the recipes a touch if the flesh ends up being more bland or more dense, but it works.

qsefthuko 10-29-2012 07:49 AM

I do as well. When using for pies I add less milk because the pumpkin is more watery.

bfuzzy2 10-29-2012 08:48 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the input too! I am excited to fill my freezer with some pumpkin!!

bfuzzy2 10-29-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 (Post 15870495)
Yes, I do it, too. I just cook them as I would a squash. As previous poster said, you may have to tweak the recipes a touch if the flesh ends up being more bland or more dense, but it works.

by tweaking do you mean more of a certain spice or sugar....can you elaborate a bit?

Mama*Kim 10-29-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfuzzy2

by tweaking do you mean more of a certain spice or sugar....can you elaborate a bit?

I'm not the person you quoted, but IME, upping the sugar is your best bet. There's nothing you can add to make it more pumpkiny, but if you like more of the spices, you can totally bump those up too.

bfuzzy2 10-29-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim (Post 15871248)
I'm not the person you quoted, but IME, upping the sugar is your best bet. There's nothing you can add to make it more pumpkiny, but if you like more of the spices, you can totally bump those up too.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Geckmumto3 10-29-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim (Post 15871248)

Yup. Just a bit more brown sugar and some more nutmeg can only make the pie nicer if in doubt. :drif: I have had some, too, where the pumpkin flesh seemed denser, so I added more condensed milk (or whatever liquid if baking breads/muffins).