Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   stroller use vs babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458306)

Junipervt 10-28-2012 12:59 PM

stroller use vs babywearing

this is a spin off from the "do babywearers use strollers" thread

If you do not often use a stroller (you babywear most of the time) what kind of area do you live in?

choose the answer that most fits your driving. don't get hung up on the rural vs suburban vs urban wish I could edit a poll

newmommy13 10-28-2012 01:29 PM

I voted other because we live in a small city so not rural or suburban but the only thing in walking distance is a park and our public transportation is sadly lacking so we drive everywhere.

tmwmommy 10-28-2012 01:30 PM

We are in an urban area where I can walk to the grocery store, dd's school, and church. However, I often have to drive to go to bigger stores or for large shopping trips. I almost never use a stroller whether driving or walking because I find them bulky for our small car. I occasionally use an umbrella stroller.

qsefthuko 10-28-2012 01:52 PM

Re: stroller use vs babywearing

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmommy13 (Post 15868097)
I voted other because we live in a small city so not rural or suburban but the only thing in walking distance is a park and our public transportation is sadly lacking so we drive everywhere.

I voted the same for the same reasons. The only public transport we have are nasty, dirty, smokey taxis. We can walk places but they are all 1 1/2-2+ miles away except for a tiny park.

Junipervt 10-28-2012 02:32 PM

I live in an urban area (small city) & walk most of my errands except big grocery shops. Often I'll walk 6-8 miles in a day. I use the stroller much more now then when I lived in a different less walkable part of the city (drove most errands). I'm curious if stroller use vs babywearing is linked to car use. When I take the kids places in the car I don't often use the stroller once I get to wherever it is we're going unless I'll also be needing to haul lots of stuff or try clothing on.

Computermama 10-28-2012 05:56 PM

I prefer to babywear vs using a stroller for a couple of reasons. Number one is that I live in a raised ranch with no garage so I have to store the stroller in the house, and that means lugging it up or down stairs. My front entrance is on the landing and is JUST big enough for the door, it's a total PITA and one of the things I would change in this house if I could. I live in a small city, within walking distance of the only mall (yep, so small there's only one mall) and take public transportation to anywhere else I have to go, which means lugging a stroller onto the bus and juggling baby while I fold and stow it. If I wear her, I can just walk out the door, and walk onto the bus. Easy peasy. She also tends to be happier when I wear her vs ride in the stroller, which helps. Once we get going if it's someplace I can walk to, the stroller is easier and carries my stuff as well as baby (big graco stroller), but for many of the places I have to get to when DH is at work (I don't drive) babywearing is far less hassle.

waterisntsomething 10-28-2012 06:39 PM

Rural..I would love a stroller but can't afford one right now.

bluedaisyma 10-28-2012 07:32 PM

suburb. we can walk for most errands except that I have 6 kids and can't carry that many groceries ;). Where I live doesn't have anything to do with stroller usage though. I only use one now for my 2 yr old when I am alone and it's too far for him to walk bc I can't wear him and the 5 mo old together for more than 30-min to an hr

harmoni247 10-28-2012 08:28 PM

We live in a very walkable area and rarely drive anywhere. We use a stroller and babywear. I have a behemoth stroller for grocery trips, long walks (2+miles), etc. and a really good quality umbrella stroller for public transport. I love to babywear, but walking that many miles with a heavy kid on your back just isnt realistic. Luckily my youngest is two now, so both options are getting less and less use. I think your theory sounds right. When we drive we dont use a stroller.

Palooka 10-28-2012 08:44 PM

Urban. We stroll occasionally on the weekends when taking an hour long walk for fun. The rest of the week he's in the ring-sling.