Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Major increase in spit up! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458403)

Kay+Dave 10-28-2012 07:11 PM

Major increase in spit up!

Ok mamas, I'm new at this and could use some veteran input! My son is 7 months. He started eating cereal around 5 months, and have been very gradually increasing and adding variety. Here is my question: he has been spitting up A LOT. Could it be due to solid food? Because he is learning to crawl? When does spitting up normally stop?! I'm quite tired of cleaning up pretty, multi-colored stains off every piece of clothing, ha! :) thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

knodceo 10-28-2012 07:19 PM

What exactly are you feeding him? Is it all food or one? Is he being over fed?

Kay+Dave 10-28-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo
What exactly are you feeding him? Is it all food or one? Is he being over fed?

I make all my own food...he's eating avocado, peas, yams, pears, prunes, apples, carrots...quite a variety. I haven't noticed an increase when he eats a particular food. Just an increase in general. I really don't think I'm over feeding him; whenever I stop he is always willing for more, but I don't want to give him too much. I still want most of his nutrition to come from breast milk, of course. I'm kind of at a loss!

knodceo 10-28-2012 08:06 PM

Is he really active right after eating? Could he need a burp?

Kay+Dave 10-28-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo
Is he really active right after eating? Could he need a burp?

He is really active. I can't get him to burp too often...so maybe it is air bubbles! He is army crawling everywhere. Could the pressure on his belly be enough to cause that much spitting up?

The other strange thing is that it's not even right after eating...it could be an hour or two later and he is still spitting up!

knodceo 10-29-2012 06:12 AM

Weird...does it appear to be all of his food?

I would have said the pressure on his tummy and being really active right after eating, but huh??

EmilytheStrange 10-29-2012 03:49 PM

Re: Major increase in spit up!

completely normal.

My child never spit up. Like maybe 5 times total in the first year. The pediatrician was all 'oh don't worry, every child starts spitting up more after they turn 6 months!, you'll get your time!' (not that I was worried.... he was just jealous or something).

anyways.. come 6months, yes, DD spit up more than she had spit up previously, but still, it was very seldom.

so, from a digestive standpoint, yes. It's normal.

other than that, I would probably be a bit weirded out by 2 hours after a feeding. Is it possible he's overeating?

UrbanMamma 11-07-2012 11:27 AM

My first child never spit up. My second never did until he was eating solids and at 5 and 6 months often did when introduced to a new food. We backed way off for a month, reintroduced solids and now no spit up.

mariamommy 11-08-2012 09:45 PM

I think it is normal. My son did this after eating soft solids when he was crawling. He'd just be crawling around and "blup" leave a little here and there all the time, it drove me nuts.

Teexie 11-08-2012 10:19 PM

My DD was never much of a spitter, but she spit up when she was teething. I'm guessing from swallowing all the extra drool.