Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   running while pregnant (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458535)

simplyleah87 10-29-2012 07:47 AM

running while pregnant

I was training for a half marathon before I got pregnant, but now that I'm pregnant I think I'm going to run my 10k in november and then call it good for now :p
well I ran nearly 5 miles last night and felt crampy (pms trype cramps) nothing extremely painful and no spotting or anything.

is it normal to feel achy when you're pregnant after running?
I remember cramping with my son for a few months.

I know several of you ladies ran while pregnant and even did half marathons, so how much is too much?

abunchoflemons 10-29-2012 09:06 AM

Re: running while pregnant

I was going to say if u aren't high risk, & have been running b4 u should be fine. I heard almost done moms in pregnancy running. I just wouldn't push too hard.

d_arnold 10-29-2012 09:24 AM

As long as you're not starting a new workout regimen you should be fine, but always listen to your body.

If you decide to do the 10k or keep going after that you could always do a run/walk.

CMamma 10-29-2012 03:15 PM

As long as you're not new to running, it should be fine. I was in the USMC when preggo w/my first & I ran for a while not even knowing I was pregnant, then I continued to run b/c I had to do regular workouts until a certain month. The only reason I ended up stopping is b/c I had a high risk issue that I found out about a few months into my pregnancy.

Cramping was normal for me, especially in the beginning. I think it's the ligaments stretching.

simplyleah87 10-29-2012 05:52 PM

I think I'm going to run my 10k in a few weeks and then take it easy. my midwife doesn't think I should be running 6 miles all the time?

weaverk 10-29-2012 08:17 PM

I had an ob who encouraged running. As long as you have a normal pregnancy, like not high risk, it is actually really good for the baby. It deceased incidence of childhood obesity and diabetes along with other things. She ran through her entire pregnancy all 3 times. I ran my first half marathon when I was 5 months pregnant and continued to run until I was not comfortable anymore. I think I was 32 week or so. It is so good for you and baby:)

MFrayne 10-30-2012 06:08 AM

Run! Like others said, if you've been doing it, there should be no problem. I ran my entire pregnancy. Some days I had some side pains or cramps, but other days were fine. Just listen to your body, if you need to walk then walk. I often walked up hills, and I definitely went slower! I could still run just not nearly as fast. I also wore a back/abdominal brace while running. It really helped the "bouncing" feeling :-). I ran a half marathon at 18 weeks too. The only reason I stopped running (at 37 weeks) was because I tripped and fell on my belly and my dh banned me from doing any more till baby arrived ;-(. All was well though, just had to spend four hours being monitored at the hospital but it would have been fine since I was full-term.

So go ahead and run if you feel good, just be careful and listen to your body.