Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   help me build my tinkle traps! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458597)

ktgrok 10-29-2012 11:46 AM

help me build my tinkle traps!

Serged or turned? Why?

If you have the soaker lined with something stay dry, like microfleece, is there much benefit to lining the whole diaper with it? Or does the soaker cover most of that area anyway, so it really doesn't matter?

Did you get your soakers sew in or not? Sew in seems better to me, less work matching them up with the diapers. Plus if grandma babysits (rare, but sometimes), she doesn't have to worry about putting them in. He's a pretty heavy wetter. Would there be times I didn't want the soaker in there? I'm getting brown edge GMD done, and he's currently 13lbs, but like I said, a heavy wetter.

Closure: I'm thinking I'll get 4 done with velcro, for grandma, and leave the rest with no closure? Does that make sense?

ktgrok 10-29-2012 03:52 PM

Re: help me build my tinkle traps!

anyone?

ktgrok 10-29-2012 09:20 PM

last try, lol. Would it be weird to have some lined with cotton velour, but the soaker be topped with microfleece?

tentrevival 10-29-2012 09:32 PM

I don't have any personal experience with tinkle traps, but I hate posts where no one answers, and I do have opinions on prefitteds, so here's my two cents.

I prefer serged, because turned always seems too bulky on fitteds.

I would just get the soaker topped with stay dry, because lining the whole thing adds a layer of bulky fabric that doesn't absorb anything and like you said it's not really necessary if the soaker is covered.

I think the only reason you'd have a separate soaker is to save on dry time, but my workhorses are sewn in and we really don't have a problem. I would get really tired of having to put them in every time.

I prefer my diapers with no closure, but some with velcro for your mom sounds like a great idea. my mom is really crafty and practical, so I always think she should be able to figure the diapers out, and she still always has strange questions, so it's always good to err on the simple side for helpers.

I think I would choose one lining material. velour is a little bit stay dry. you could probably get the colors to match and it not be too weird, but it is one of those things that would bother me personally. that's just me.

Hope that helps.

Heather1583 10-29-2012 09:51 PM

A suggestion for not sewing the soaker in would be to make them like softbums pods and have a single snap in the back, that snaps the soaker to the diaper. Still dries faster, but they dont really come unsnapped for me in the wash. Otherwise I aggree with the poster above.

ktgrok 10-29-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tentrevival (Post 15873752)
I don't have any personal experience with tinkle traps, but I hate posts where no one answers, and I do have opinions on prefitteds, so here's my two cents.

I prefer serged, because turned always seems too bulky on fitteds.

I would just get the soaker topped with stay dry, because lining the whole thing adds a layer of bulky fabric that doesn't absorb anything and like you said it's not really necessary if the soaker is covered.

I think the only reason you'd have a separate soaker is to save on dry time, but my workhorses are sewn in and we really don't have a problem. I would get really tired of having to put them in every time.

I prefer my diapers with no closure, but some with velcro for your mom sounds like a great idea. my mom is really crafty and practical, so I always think she should be able to figure the diapers out, and she still always has strange questions, so it's always good to err on the simple side for helpers.

I think I would choose one lining material. velour is a little bit stay dry. you could probably get the colors to match and it not be too weird, but it is one of those things that would bother me personally. that's just me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I think I'll get half with cotton velour and half with microfleece. That way I'll love at least half of them :) Do you have any issues with the serging bothering the skin? I hear that is the reason for getting them turned instead.

thoughtfulmama 10-29-2012 11:12 PM

I had 18 converted for my SIL, I prefer the serged, lined the whole diaper with velour, backed the soakers with hemp and loved the way they turned out! One suggestion, if you have a boy ask Tammy to stitch the soaker toward the front, mine were closer the the middle, just an FYI.

ktgrok 10-30-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtfulmama (Post 15874101)
I had 18 converted for my SIL, I prefer the serged, lined the whole diaper with velour, backed the soakers with hemp and loved the way they turned out! One suggestion, if you have a boy ask Tammy to stitch the soaker toward the front, mine were closer the the middle, just an FYI.

Why do you prefer serged? And thanks for the heads up on the soaker.

tentrevival 10-30-2012 08:25 AM

I've never had serging irritate my babies' skin.

Nerissa 10-30-2012 08:45 AM

I just had 18 converted from my prefolds. I went with the super basic. Serged edges in rainbow of colors and The doublers are sewn in and made from the cut away sides, no closure. I love them. They wash up great. I would personally get the doublers sewn in. I have had non sewn in doublers and it was a pain.