Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So for Christmas my two year old has asked for... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458957)

dancermommy1 10-30-2012 11:37 AM

So for Christmas my two year old has asked for...

A guitar. :headscratch: Twice.

I wasn't even aware he knew to ask for anything for Christmas in the first place, as we haven't asked him what he might want or encouraged him to pick anything out. The other day we were in Toys-r-us (our standby play place for rainy days, lol) and right as we were leaving we passed the guitars. He pointed to a red rock-style type guitar and said "I would like to have that for Christmas"

I stopped, DH stopped, and we just stared at each other. I said "You want a guitar for Christmas?" and DS said "Yes. I would like one"

So then yesterday we were flipping through the mail and were looking at the ads in the "toy catalog" from Target. After looking at all the toys in the catalog (again, I wasn't asking him if he wanted any of them, we were just looking at the pictures and he was asking what things were). He thumbed back a few pages and he pointed out two things... One was a matchbox car racetrack (well come on--who DOESN'T want one of those?? :) ) and the other was a kid playing a guitar and he said "I need his guitar".

Now, he's never played the guitar as far as I know. I have a violin and he's plucked it a bit. We have a piano and he bangs on it a little. I have a doumbek (drum) and he bangs on it some. I have some finger cymbals he will mess with, and he has a little keyboard with a microphone. He will play around with these things but doesn't show any overwhelming interest. I find it bizarre he keeps asking for a guitar!

So---would you get one for him if he was yours? We may luck out, my brother apparently has some guitars sitting around that he doesn't use and may give us one--but I would really rather get him one his size if I think he will actually play it than to hand him a big old adult sized guitar and expect him to do anything useful with it...

Thoughts?

marenmccoy 10-30-2012 11:58 AM

Re: So for Christmas my two year old has asked for...

I am generally pretty minimalist in terms of toys and gifts, but showing an interest in a musical instrument is pretty rad.

I know our 2 year old wanted a guitar too so we actually got him a Ukulele, since it's more his size, and he loves it.

kushie tushie 10-30-2012 12:01 PM

LOL my 2 yr old has been asking for a guitar as well but he is totally obsessed with music and making music.

So we bought him a guitar for Christmas!

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Brooke789 10-30-2012 12:06 PM

We have a 'toy' guitar on our two year olds christmas list. It is made by B Toys and looks like a dog.

escapethevillage 10-30-2012 01:13 PM

I would get an inexpensive child sized guitar for the next few years, and if he shows a real interest, get a nicer one.

He's going to be too small for one right now, but, I wouldn't refuse him his wish when it's music.

EmilytheStrange 10-30-2012 01:20 PM

I would definitely get him a child-sized guitar. And set him up with some lessons from that brother if possible.

The idea that my child would tell me what she wants is amazing!

luvsviola 10-30-2012 02:01 PM

I got my son a Buzz Lightyear guitar. It is not the best, and was only $36, but the price was right for how well he will take care of it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Buzz-Lig...ghtyear+guitar

dancermommy1 10-30-2012 04:06 PM

So I see he's not alone in his guitar wish :-D

I think we will get a ukulele. I can teach him to read music, but we have many talented friends who play guitar and all sorts of instruments who could teach him to really play on down the road if he retains interest :)

songbird516 10-30-2012 05:46 PM

We got our daughter a guitar around that age. It's mostly a play guitar, but holds the tuning pretty well. She loves to strum it and make up songs. She is 2 and 3/4 now.

stevensmom 10-30-2012 05:47 PM

DS got a guitar for christmas when he was just turned 3 and then he got another one when he turned 5 for his bday from my grandpa