Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   transitioning from ec to pt? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459065)

BNC 10-30-2012 04:42 PM

transitioning from ec to pt?

Laney is 20 months and goes potty when i remind her or when i send her (if i see her start to grab/sign potty or about ever hour).

If i dont notice her grabbing though she just goes wherever she happens to be. She can hold it, bc if i see her grabbing and tell her to go to the potty she gets there with dry undies.

How can i get her to start heading to the potty without being told? She gets verbally rewarded when she makes it with dry undies (we cheer, clap and dance). She cant verbally say "potty" yet, she can sign potty but chooses not to (i sign it ever time she goes and ask her to sign it but she refuses).

Any suggestions for making the leap to really being potty trained?

MaterofJacob 11-04-2012 06:39 AM

Re: transitioning from ec to pt?

:popcorn:

Van1300 11-04-2012 08:00 AM

Honestly, I think some of it is developmental. I part time EC'ed with my DD. We would go to the potty upon waking, before and after naps, before tub, and before bed. She didn't show a true interest in holding it for the potty until 24-26 months. She will be 3 next month and is still not night trained (wears a pull up and wets 1-2 weekly).

I think if you just encourage regular potty trips and keep up the communication (the signing, the rewards), she will get it eventually. For us, stickers were a huge reward. We started a sticker book and DS loved to collect 1 sticker after each pee and 2 stickers for each poop.

Kätzchen 11-04-2012 11:51 AM

My daughter (15mo) has been full time underwear with absolutely no "accidents" since she was 11.5months. I took her to the potty often, and I made sure to use the same motions and words each time. Now, every time she has to go, even in her sleep, she says "potty", no rewards needed. I think it's more what mom is comfortable with. If you let your baby get used to peeing in a diaper, that's something they know and do. I've managed to have both of my girls diaper free before age 1 without a bit of fuss, but maybe I'm just really lucky? :)

Katie Mae 11-05-2012 10:41 AM

I thought I'd be able to switch DS out of diapers at 1 like others say, but it hasn't happened. He's 15 months and I've done a modified EC since he was 2 weeks. (I can't call it true EC because I didn't follow everything they say, but it was our own method that was basically EC.) Anyways, I am tentatively planning on undies at 18 months or so, but I'm not as ready to jump into undies this time around. We put DD in undies at 18 months, and she only recently will say she needs to go, and take herself. (She's 2.5) DS does tell me when he needs to go sometimes though, and that is positive. I guess I have just resigned myself to the fact that being a mom to my children includes washing lots of damp undies. DD wears pull ups at night and naps (I got tired of washing sheets 4 or 5 times a week) and DS wears a disposable. Though both kids will wake to pee in the night, the both scream bloody murder when I try to potty them and so I just mostly cuddle and hope they pee in their diaper so they will go back to sleep. I feel bad, like I'm going to ruin them, but I have decided that I have to sleep. ;)

Lillikin 01-02-2013 08:22 PM

I've had lots of frustration thinking we were so close only then to have a set back. My daughter is very independent and would hate to stop playing to go potty. We had to get where she felt in control, if I ask if she needs to go potty she will tell me no almost every time, but if I ask her "L go potty by yourself?" it is a complete 180. We would have wet pants nearly every day, but to do cloth seemed I couldn't have enough for a load of laundry, so aggravating on different levels. We did go to pull-ups on vacation and I think that broke my laundry habits and her training awareness, so I've fought with changing from training panties to cloth to disposable and back so many times that I could scream. At 26 months just before leaving for Christmas she stayed dry, changes did affect her while we were gone, but other than getting to the potty and peeing as she is getting situated she has stayed dry. We did start to offer her a reward for staying dry and that motivated her greatly, learning the importance of not only going potty sometimes but each time and keeping dry. I will try to do things differently next time to be as consistent as possible and try to be more patient. On another note, I only changed a few dirty diapers in the past 14+ months, so there was a positive to ec'ing plus many others that I failed to express here.