Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stinky Tide (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459093)

greencrunchymama 10-30-2012 06:49 PM

Stinky Tide

I've been alternating between all free and clear with oxi active and clean breeze tide. The all gets the diapers stain free for the most part but I noticed my dds night diapers were starting to stink in the morning so I switched to the tide. It stinks and leaves a lot more stains! I can't stand the scent so I'm thinking about trying the free and clear but I'm worried it won't work as well.

What should I try?

mcrisp78 10-30-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Stinky Tide

I balked at cloth diaper detergents:) I had stink issues with mainstream, so I gave up for a month or two then decided to "just try" RnG. I have never had a problem since. I'm glad I tried:)

ChihuahuaMama13 10-30-2012 07:04 PM

If you like mainstream, go ahead and try Tide F&G. We used it for about a year and loved it. We just recently switched detergents because I either hand wash (and use some RNG) or throw some diapers in with towels, socks, and undergarments (in which case we now use Tide PODS).

greencrunchymama 10-30-2012 07:05 PM

I would like to try charlies soap but I am scared! I guess the worst that could happen is that I'd have to bleach and try something else. Maybe I'll look into Rng.

greencrunchymama 10-30-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMama13
If you like mainstream, go ahead and try Tide F&G. We used it for about a year and loved it. We just recently switched detergents because I either hand wash (and use some RNG) or throw some diapers in with towels, socks, and undergarments (in which case we now use Tide PODS).

Good to know you like it! Thanks!

UmmKira 10-30-2012 07:10 PM

I just switched to Tide and noticed suds when I was hand rinsing the diaper before putting it in the pail. I'm thinking an extra rinse may be needed, and that would cause stink if it goes unchanged.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

momma_dna 10-31-2012 10:51 AM

We used Charlie's and I liked it. If you do decide to use it, make sure you strip your washer with it before you do your diapers. We used it on all of our laundry because of this. Loved it on diapers, never had stains. But to be honest now that DS is eating solids most of our morning/night time diapers smell funky in the morning, sometimes just urine smell, sometimes faint ammonia, sometimes skunky. His skin is always clear though. Diapers always smell clean after washing and drying. A month ago I tried switching to tide to see if it would help with the morning funk and DS had a rash on his inner thighs from it :/ I have since stripped all the tide from our diapers and his skin is doing much better and the rash is gone. Also when I used Tide, I used up to the 2 line and his nighttime diapers still smelt funky after washing. We have super soft water so the amount shouldn't have been the issue. I had to rewash with bleach and Charlie's. Oh that reminds me, you do need to use a disinfectant with Charlie's. I am now trying Country Save and it is getting our diapers clean, but leaving stains.

thtr4me 10-31-2012 11:12 AM

Tide F&G worked really well for me for many years. Just this year I started having issues with general laundry stink (everything smelled off, not just the dipes). It could easily be that something changed in our water though that made the Tide stop working, as we are on well/spring water and the hardness and mineral content can vary. Switched to Target Clean Pristine and that has been working well for now, but am keeping the Tide on hand in case the Target stuff stops working.

mcrisp78 10-31-2012 01:11 PM

Detergents are on sale at Sweet Pickles and the mama from the store told me Eco Sprouts was a good detergent. The small pkg is only 5.50ish? Pretty good deal :)

Skybaby712 10-31-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmKira
I just switched to Tide and noticed suds when I was hand rinsing the diaper before putting it in the pail. I'm thinking an extra rinse may be needed, and that would cause stink if it goes unchanged.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

This is what happened to me. For about 6 months it was fine, then I switched to All f&c (mistake!!) and ever since then my diapers have been stinking. Those extra bubbles eventually lead to buildup which can lead to ammonia because the extra detergent in the dipes aren't washing out fully. Noone really mentions Nellies, but I just started using it and I :wub: it so far!