Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gift ideas for DD and DH?? Help! :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459281)

dancingingrace 10-31-2012 10:45 AM

Gift ideas for DD and DH?? Help! :)

I need some inspiration, lol! I'm trying to get a list together for gift ideas, and I need some ideas for the following:

-My 2yo DD for Christmas: I don't want to just get "filler" gifts that are just going to lay around...I don't have a problem with buying little toys that *might* lay around (in the sense of typical toddler play, when your living room is a disaster, lol), as long as it is something that she'll really like or play with. I guess I just don't want to spend money just to have gifts, I want them to be worthwhile, KWIM? She does have a play kitchen/food, baby dolls/some accessories, some puzzles, books, dvd's, some little people sets, blocks, a riding scooter toy, tea sets, crayons/coloring books, a keyboard, her size foam couch, play vaccuum cleaner, rocking horse, and other misc. things. She clearly isn't lacking toys, I know. But, I want to get things that will keep up with her age and be fun, and any new ideas would be great!

-My DH for birthday AND Christmas: I can't do anything SUPER expensive b/c we're on a budget, but I always like to give him something nice or special...he's just hard sometimes! He loves sports, but the first few years of our marriage I had gotten him so many sports things (like from his fav. teams, etc), and I don't know what else I could get him there (thinking about getting him some passes for rounds of golf or something). He works construction, so office/professional work things wouldn't be helpful. He's not into gaming or anything like that, and he's a pretty practical guy. In the past I've gotten him an engraved pocket watch, engraved business card holder (which he doesn't need now anyway), things for work (big thermos, insulated suit for outside, boots, lunchbox, etc), a massage (which he wouldn't use b/c "it was weird for another woman to touch him", and it went to waste...but then he later had one and liked it, so that MIGHT work), clothes, cologne, jewelry, etc. Some of these can be repeats, but again, any new or creative ideas would be awesome!

babynme8 10-31-2012 12:06 PM

Re: Gift ideas for DD and DH?? Help! :)

I'm getting my DD who is also 2 an InnoTab2 she loves my tablet and is always stealing our smartphones.

stephbrown13 10-31-2012 12:26 PM

What kind of construction does he do? My DH just got these awesome noise canceling headphones that he can plug his phone or an ipod into and they will play music while canceling out the outside noise (so good for tractor work, jackhammering etc). Also if it's his phone plugged in it will ring through the headphones which he loves because otherwise he never hears it if he's at a loud jobsite.

Otherwise I like getting gift certificates or tickets for fun experiences. Horseback riding, hot springs, zip lines, comedy shows, concerts etc. Our local college has a performing arts center with a lot of awesome shows. We just saw Alton Brown and he was hilarious.

If he loves sports maybe some tickets or passes to a local team?

For your DD does she like to dress up? After halloween you could see if there are any fun costumes on clearance and make her a dress up box.

mjhd 10-31-2012 01:32 PM

For DD, how about a broom, games, wooden train set?

For DH, I would go with an experience such as tickets to a basketball or hockey game (local or national depending on your budget).

d_arnold 10-31-2012 01:41 PM

How about an easel or something that DD could draw on? My DD is 15 months and LOVES to color (scribble).

danielle 11-01-2012 01:08 PM

My daughter enjoys her broom, medical kit, trains, play food, chef hat, play silks and Magna doodle.

Maybe a play silk? My daughter loved play silks, blankets, pillows all that stuff at two.

hac1224 11-01-2012 01:17 PM

If she's a young 2, Weebles were/are still a big hit here. If she's almost 3, what about My Little Pony? That's one of my almost 3yr old dd's favorite things right now, although I don't always let her keep the tiniest pieces yet.

umphreysmommy 11-01-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hac1224
If she's a young 2, Weebles were/are still a big hit here. If she's almost 3, what about My Little Pony? That's one of my almost 3yr old dd's favorite things right now, although I don't always let her keep the tiniest pieces yet.

Yes on the My little Pony. My dd will be 3 in december and she just LOVES them! She can sit and play ponies for hours.

dancingingrace 11-01-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephbrown13 (Post 15880132)
What kind of construction does he do? My DH just got these awesome noise canceling headphones that he can plug his phone or an ipod into and they will play music while canceling out the outside noise (so good for tractor work, jackhammering etc). Also if it's his phone plugged in it will ring through the headphones which he loves because otherwise he never hears it if he's at a loud jobsite.

Otherwise I like getting gift certificates or tickets for fun experiences. Horseback riding, hot springs, zip lines, comedy shows, concerts etc. Our local college has a performing arts center with a lot of awesome shows. We just saw Alton Brown and he was hilarious.

If he loves sports maybe some tickets or passes to a local team?

For your DD does she like to dress up? After halloween you could see if there are any fun costumes on clearance and make her a dress up box.

Well, he works in a lab (I still consider construction b/c it is still along that line of work, just not the heavy side of it, and it isn't a clean job), and I casually asked him last night if it gets loud around him at work. He said sometimes, so the headphones could be a good idea for his phone. He doesn't have an ipod, and wouldn't use one at work anyway b/c the nature of his job requires a lot of concentration on the formulas and stuff.

These are a lot of excellent ideas, thank you all so much, and keep them coming!! :)