Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   REALLY need suggestions....feel like I'm losing the homeschooling battle :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459298)

jessd32003 10-31-2012 11:43 AM

REALLY need suggestions....feel like I'm losing the homeschooling battle :(

Hi mama's. I need curriculum suggestions! We are fairly new to the homeschooling scene and i'm finding my daughter to be somewhat hard to teach. This is not surprising because her teachers have always complained about her inability to focus (we have seen many dr's about possible ADD but after different meds not working, the dr does NOT believe she has ADD). If it doesn't interest her, she just doesn't want to learn about it. It's like she doesn't care that she HAS to! I think she is more of a kinesthetic learner which makes it difficult to determine if she is tuning me out or just messing with something to help her focus. We've tried a lot of curriculum's and the only one so far that she likes is Math U see.

Curriculum we have tried: Lifepac (tried this for history and language arts), Saxon (tried this for math and she was nothing but frustrated), Switched on Schoolhouse (HATED sitting in front of the computer for hours), Mystery of History (she likes that you can download MP3's so this is read to you but she finds the content boring), Math U See, A beka (currently using this for Science but she is not a fan).

Curriculum SHE likes: Math U See

Curriculum I like: Math U See and A Beka (We use this for science and I like it but we skip over a lot of the lessons that she just can't get into, such as rocks and plants).

She really likes the Math U See because the gentleman on the DVD teaches it to you first, then you do the worksheets. She doesn't like reading things on her own, which is probably why she doesn't care for the A Beka Science (I end up reading it to her). She doesn't like things that are more advanced (she doesn't like to be challenged so if it's too hard, she shuts down). So what, if any, curriculum out there is similar to Math U See??? Is there anything similar for Language Arts, Science, and/or History? It's driving me nuts battling her every day, but, going back to public school is NOT an option here. Thanks in advance!!

MDever 10-31-2012 12:02 PM

Re: REALLY need suggestions....feel like I'm losing the homeschooling battle :(

My son is a challenge too. We are doing better this year with me accoodating him ore. If he attended public school he would have an IEP so we do similar things at home. This year we are using the following. FYI-We are a secular family.

Math-Math Mammoth
History- Story of the World(I read the text aloud)
Science- http://www.eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.(I read the text aloud and we do atleast one of the hands on activities)
Language Arts-We do a Writing and Grammar workbook, spelling list from K12reader, and read books from the library.

jessd32003 10-31-2012 12:26 PM

Thank you.....I think I should have gotten Story of the World instead of Mystery of History. We are a religious family with good morals and values, but it is frustrating that every curriculum seems to incorporate bible lessons. She is soooo hard to teach as it is, adding bible lessons seems to take away from what I NEED her to learn. I'm just trying to stick with the main subjects to get her caught up with those before I throw in anything else. What writing and grammar book do you do?

tallanvor 10-31-2012 12:50 PM

My oldest does actually have ADHD, and is very much a hands-on learner, and here's what we use.

Math-U-See
Apologia for science
Rod and Staff for grammar (textbook style, somewhat boring, but thorough, so I told her she just has to buck up and do it, but we only do it a couple times a week)
Progeny Press for literature
History Revealed for history -- This is also Bible based, so there will be a lot of scripture in it, at least for the beginning. We are finishing up creation up through the flood right now. However, in all of that, we have researched dams, floods, copper making, made fossils, and a few other things. In the next unit we will continue using the Bible for our main text, but we will be doing other things as well. Before we started using this, we used Truthquest, which we liked, except for the fact that it wasn't real hands-on.

You might also consider Drive Thru History. I have heard it's enjoyable, but haven't used it myself. We have done various videos on Netflix, though. When we did the Revolutionary War, we watched every episode of Liberty's Kids.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 10-31-2012 01:29 PM

I like Apologia for science. We are doing SOTW and really like the audiobooks. Netflix does have quite a collection of documentaries, so maybe you can get her hooked on a topic with that and then sneak in some read alouds or projects. good luck.

cedavid2011 11-01-2012 04:56 PM

What about unit studies? Pick a subject she wants to learn about and base all of the lessons on that. For example: baseball... read about it and its history, write about it or copy a passage out of one of the books you read, math could be figuring out stats and averages or adding and subtracting balls, depending on age it could be really in depth stuff. I know www.homeschoolshare.com has lost of free unit study ideas if you wanted to try it for free. Hope that helps. :)

3girlymom 11-19-2012 10:04 AM

Heart of Dakota.

Have you looked at that? Bigger or Preparing would work for her age. In Preparing she will just start some independent work, but you will also be involved.

It's been my lifesaver for the past 4-5 years! You tailor it by using whatever you want for math and english. That is all we switch up. They use lots of living books, various curriculums, etc. It's nice that it's all pulled together, complete with lesson plans and instructions for project/acitivites.

erin_c_odonnell 11-19-2012 10:10 AM

Check out Easy Grammer too. My 9 yr old is using that this year and we really like it. Very simple and it offers from 1st grade up I think.

mommagruber 11-19-2012 10:25 AM

Have you ever tried lap books? They are a fun way to study topics and keep all of the work together. You can find quite a few samples and free ones online too. :)

frogerella 11-21-2012 10:58 PM

Have you considered that your daughter might be a right brain learner? RB learners can be misdiagnosed as ADD or ADHD. If she is RB then curriculum choice becomes a challenge b/c most curriculum is designed for left brained learners. Which obviously doesn't work well for for the RBL. It's like putting gasoline in a diesel engine expecting it to work b/c it's fuel.

This is an article that gives some ideas as to RB characteristics.
http://suite101.com/article/right-br...eristics-a2607

I struggled with my daughter until I realized she was a RB learner (visual & kinesthetic). I then tailored curriculum and learning experiences toward her learning style and what a difference. Now my daughter is only 5, so it's obviously different. But once I tailored her education to her style it went from a challenge to excitement for both of us.

So, food for thought :)