Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ditching my pockets for flats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459494)

Kyonarai 11-01-2012 02:21 AM

Ditching my pockets for flats

It seems unthinkable, but I am really considering it. We have ridiculously hard water here in southern TX, and it's a pain to get my pockets clean. I've been using BG 4.0s with Doopsy hemp/bamboo inserts, and the inserts just seem to be holding onto ammonia like crazy, despite stripping attempts. that and the interior lining of the bg 4.os keeps getting buildup and giving my DD a rash.

I've had the opportunity the last month or so to only diaper in flats in flip covers, as my husband and I were traveling and often didn't have access to optimal washing conditions. I've found myself falling in love. I was mostly worried that the wetness against her skin would cause a rash, but it seems to be the opposite. She only had one slight rash the entire month, and it was because she had a poo at the beginning of a nap(I was sleeping alongside her) and she sat in it for however long it was from the time she pooped till the time she woke up, and it was gone in two diaper changes, no rash cream necessary. By contrast, we just got home from traveling, and she has a tiny ope sore down there after only a day back in her pockets, and I thoroughly washed(and bleached the **** out of!) everything before we left.

In short, I've about had it with pockets, time to put my diaper rite flats and 15 flip covers(don't judge me! There were sooo many seconds sales...and buy 2 get one sales, and the colors! I needed the colors! *glances around shiftily and pets lovelace cover*) to good use, and put the BGs away.

Celestials 11-01-2012 06:56 AM

Re: Ditching my pockets for flats

I too ditched my pockets for flats and LOVE it. Now I'm tempted to try the bamboo flats... Good luck!

keonli 11-01-2012 07:09 AM

You can just use the flats to stuff the pockets. I have a mix of flats and pockets and that's what we will be doing.

L J 11-01-2012 07:14 AM

I did only flats and Flips from 3-12 months with dd. Unfortunately, when she started climbing and riding on toys and being an all around toddler the flats starts bunching in the middle horribly and I was having issues with her peeing straight out the side as a result. So I'm back to stuffing my pockets with flats and pinning prefolds. Hopefully it will work longer for you. It was my absolute favorite diaper ever! I wish it was still working for us, it was such an easy combo.

mms1972 11-01-2012 07:14 AM

LOL....Also u can lay the flat inside the pocket and use it like a cover if u don't want to stuff! :)

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

Kyonarai 11-01-2012 08:39 AM

I am having issues with the stay dry lining getting some sortof buildup that gives her a rash, despite stripping attempts. Any ideas on how to get rid of that? Also, the bg pocket covers wick moisture out of the leg holes if the insert gets full. This is fine for during the day, but really aggravating if she falls asleep in one for a nap, so I'm really not sure if I want to keep the pocket shells at all.

FunLovinMama 11-01-2012 09:43 AM

Flats and flips are a great choice! I'm sure you will love them!

L J 11-01-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyonarai
I am having issues with the stay dry lining getting some sortof buildup that gives her a rash, despite stripping attempts. Any ideas on how to get rid of that? Also, the bg pocket covers wick moisture out of the leg holes if the insert gets full. This is fine for during the day, but really aggravating if she falls asleep in one for a nap, so I'm really not sure if I want to keep the pocket shells at all.

I sold mine when I went to all flats and Flips, and even though I did wind up buying a few pockets back recently because of our bunching issue, I didn't mind and I got good deals. I say go ahead and sell them, and if you need to re buy later there are always seconds and sales.