Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favourite children's books for 1-3 year olds (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459661)

jam's mum 11-01-2012 02:11 PM

Favourite children's books for 1-3 year olds

Because Jammy is our only child, her library is rather meagre. What are/were your little ones' favourite books? Or your own?

Feel free to add suggestions for further down the line.

Blossom of Snow 11-01-2012 02:30 PM

Re: Favourite children's books for 1-3 year olds

Right now DD's favourite books are anything Winnie the Pooh! Most of them are the newer kind with lots of illustrations but she will sometimes sit through a chapter from the original books (House at Pooh Corner/Hundred Acre Wood, if you've never read them, do so, I think they're hilarious!)

Some of my/her other favourites are Where the Wild Things Are, Bear Hunt, Leaf Man, All of Us, I Love You So (warning this book will make you cry), Brown Bear Brown Bear, Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon. Oh, and Goodnight Gorilla.

My DD has a ginormous library thanks to my bibliophilic in-laws :giggle:, so I'm probably forgetting some. I'll ask DH what they've been reading lately at bedtime and what his favourites are. HTH!

jam's mum 11-01-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blossom of Snow (Post 15884578)
Right now DD's favourite books are anything Winnie the Pooh! Most of them are the newer kind with lots of illustrations but she will sometimes sit through a chapter from the original books (House at Pooh Corner/Hundred Acre Wood, if you've never read them, do so, I think they're hilarious!)

Some of my/her other favourites are Where the Wild Things Are, Bear Hunt, Leaf Man, All of Us, I Love You So (warning this book will make you cry), Brown Bear Brown Bear, Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon. Oh, and Goodnight Gorilla.

My DD has a ginormous library thanks to my bibliophilic in-laws :giggle:, so I'm probably forgetting some. I'll ask DH what they've been reading lately at bedtime and what his favourites are. HTH!

I have a love for the original Winnie the Pooh that I literally don't know how to put into words. I also highly recommend the original Mary Poppins for when she's older, although be warned, in the original she's absolutely horrible!

I haven't read Leaf Man, All of Us or I Love you So, I will check those out. My baby also loves Brown Bear, Brown Bear. I have no idea why.

Leiiki 11-01-2012 02:46 PM

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late
No No, Yes Yes
Yummy, Yucky
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Bad Kitty
Poor Puppy
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
If You Give a Moose a Muffin
Click, Clack, Moo

More for girls:
Madeline
Eloise
Angelina Ballerina

tallanvor 11-01-2012 03:09 PM

Anything by Eric Carle, Jan Brett, Sandra Boynton, Laura Numeroff, Dr Seuss.

The Click, Clack, Moo books
Thomas the Tank Engine books
Charlie and Lola
Guess How Much I Love You (and other books with the same bunnies)
Goodnight, Gorilla
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Purple Coat
Harry and the Terrible Whatsit

Liadan23 11-01-2012 03:22 PM

some of these have been said, but they bear repeating! :)

brown bear brown bear
goodnight moon
i love you forever
anything by sandra boynton (ds has some faves of hers, but they're in spanish and i can't think of the english titles right now :) mostly we like them all though)
are you my mother?
where's spot?
the little engine that could (this may be for slightly older than a 1 yr old, but it's my 3 yr old's current favorite)
go dog go
little blue truck

- anything you can sing to; there are several books that illustrate raffi songs like baby beluga, down by the bay, the wheels on the bus, etc. ds LOVED these as a younger toddler, and still does now

i also have a soft spot for mother goose rhymes but i find the big books with 100 pages of them overwhelming for little kids. i have a couple small board books that just have like 1 rhyme a page. one with the whole book as a single rhyme would be even better for the really young ones :)

mekat 11-01-2012 04:53 PM

The little Critter series is cute by Mercy Mayer
The Monster at the End of this Book
Another Monster at the End of this Book
Bear snores on (and other bear books in the series)
Ten Little Lady bugs
I Love You Stinky face.

All the others I would have suggested are already listed so the ones above are just those I didn't see mentioned.

chandni3 11-01-2012 05:29 PM

I like the Sandra Boynton books, my daughter is only one so she doesn't really give an opinion, she likes all books but her favourites are ones with real pictures rather than drawings.

UnderTheStars 11-01-2012 09:09 PM

We have lots of favorites, and it's usually a while before the same book cycles around at bedtime, but the ones that do are:

all of the Llama Llama series
Roar of a Snore
Bubble Trouble (this one is a tongue-twister...read at your own risk :giggle:)
Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum
I Love You, Stinky Face
Mister Seahorse (part of the Eric Carle books)

keysersoze 11-01-2012 09:15 PM

Lots of great suggestions so far. I'll just add ones I haven't seen:

Room on the Broom; The Whale and the Snail; The Gruffalo -- all by Julia Donaldson
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Anything by Phillip and Erin Stead (A Sick Day for Amos McGee, and their newest Bear has a story to tell)
The Olivia series by Ian Falconer (not the TV based series ones, though)
anything by William Steig or Bill Peet
anything by Elsa Beskow, Astrid Lindgren, Gerda Muller, Sibylle Olfers
Old Mother Westwind by Thornton W. Burgess
The Curious Garden
The Cloud Spinner, Michael Catchpool
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Jamie Lee Curtis's books
Mo Willems, Knuffle Bunny trilogy
H.A. and Margret Rey, All of the original Curious George stories
Beatrix Potter stories
The Napping House and King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, both by Don and Audrey Wood
Stone Soup