Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   QUICK!! Best sweet potato cassarole recipe (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459717)

LittleABC 11-01-2012 05:29 PM

QUICK!! Best sweet potato cassarole recipe

I have a pig roast to go to Saturday. I need good sweet potato casserole recipes. Share please

rebeccalynne15 11-01-2012 05:37 PM

Re: QUICK!! Best sweet potato cassarole recipe

We do our sweet potatoes ...peel and slice about 1/2 inch .... put a layer in bottom of pan sprinkle with white sugar, couple pats of butter and couple drops of vanilla extract ....do this til the pan is over full (it will sink ) . and back at 400 till tender .

Done at 3 11-01-2012 05:39 PM

Ingredients:

1 (29 ounce) can Bruce’s cut yams, drained and mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 cup cream
16 marshmallows
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Blend yams with sugar, salt, spices, butter and cream.
Cut 6 marshmallows in half and mix with yams.
Turn into greased baking dish.
Top with remaining marshmallows.
Bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and delicately browned.

Leah52 11-01-2012 05:46 PM

This is the best casserole ever, the only one I have made since I was a kid: Senator Russell's Sweet Potatoes.

hbee 11-01-2012 06:32 PM

You have to go with marshmallows, definitely. (Of course, if you ask DH's aunt... you have to go with marshmallows and whipped cream :headscratch:)

ktmelody 11-01-2012 06:38 PM

Oh gosh. Dont do marshmallow.

Use 6 sweet potatoes. Cut in thin slices. Layer in a 13 x 9 pan. Melt butter. Pour over them. Season with sea salt, ground pepper, a pinch of paprika and then sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake in. 400 degree oven for about 30-40 min or until fork tender and sugar is carmalized.

:) 6 sweet potatoes will feed 4-6 adults. So you may need to do more than that depending on how many people.

MDever 11-01-2012 06:48 PM

I always make one like this.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-s...le/detail.aspx

Shhhhh I have used canned yams though:chuckle:

the_oz_girl 11-02-2012 07:23 AM

My mom always used canned yams, draining and adding butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and marshmallows on top. No one ate them except her yet she made them every single year that she hosted.

I grew up & stopped using canned. Now, hosts ask me to bring the sweet taters and I never bring home leftovers. (If by some odd chance there is anything leftover, guests & hosts alike ask me if they can 'help me out by taking home some leftovers'...I've given up and just make two batches so I can leave one at home!)
Get real sweet potatoes. These are pretty small, come in bags around here, and are usually found in either an orange or yellow fleshed option. These are not the huge yams that most people think of. Ask your grocery department manager to get them for you next time you have time. The huge yams already on display will work in a pinch, but the difference is big enough to bother with if you have the time. Slice super thin, using a mandoline or food processor so that they are totally even. Layer them like you would for scalloped potatoes, overlapping each slice by about 1/2, and fill the pan to just beyond totally full. It'll slump down some, but not too much if you have the slices layered nice and close. Take a whole stick of real, salted butter & melt it. Mix in 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 Tablespoon molasses, and 1/2 each vanilla & almond extract. You can add a teaspoon or so of lemon or lime juice if you want a nice bright flavor with depth, but it's just icing on the cake at this point. Pour over the layered potatoes and sprinkle with pecans, walnuts, or a combination. Bake at 350 until a toothpick in the center goes in & out without dragging whole slices of potato with it, totally tender. You can serve at this point, or continue as follows. Top with marshmallows, if there are some diehard 'mallow fans in the guest list, at the very end. You'll want to crank the heat up to 450 or so, so that the 'mallows brown quickly. If you can loosely cover the dish before serving, this will help melt them too, just be careful they don't stick to the foil and disappear at the unveiling, lol.

hbee 11-02-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_oz_girl (Post 15886758)
My mom always used canned yams, draining and adding butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and marshmallows on top. No one ate them except her yet she made them every single year that she hosted.

I grew up & stopped using canned. Now, hosts ask me to bring the sweet taters and I never bring home leftovers. (If by some odd chance there is anything leftover, guests & hosts alike ask me if they can 'help me out by taking home some leftovers'...I've given up and just make two batches so I can leave one at home!)
Get real sweet potatoes. These are pretty small, come in bags around here, and are usually found in either an orange or yellow fleshed option. These are not the huge yams that most people think of. Ask your grocery department manager to get them for you next time you have time. The huge yams already on display will work in a pinch, but the difference is big enough to bother with if you have the time. Slice super thin, using a mandoline or food processor so that they are totally even. Layer them like you would for scalloped potatoes, overlapping each slice by about 1/2, and fill the pan to just beyond totally full. It'll slump down some, but not too much if you have the slices layered nice and close. Take a whole stick of real, salted butter & melt it. Mix in 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 Tablespoon molasses, and 1/2 each vanilla & almond extract. You can add a teaspoon or so of lemon or lime juice if you want a nice bright flavor with depth, but it's just icing on the cake at this point. Pour over the layered potatoes and sprinkle with pecans, walnuts, or a combination. Bake at 350 until a toothpick in the center goes in & out without dragging whole slices of potato with it, totally tender. You can serve at this point, or continue as follows. Top with marshmallows, if there are some diehard 'mallow fans in the guest list, at the very end. You'll want to crank the heat up to 450 or so, so that the 'mallows brown quickly. If you can loosely cover the dish before serving, this will help melt them too, just be careful they don't stick to the foil and disappear at the unveiling, lol.

Want to come to my house for a party?

Southern Momma 11-02-2012 09:00 AM

I never liked the ones with marshmallows but that's how my granny always made them.
I LOVE making them like the link MDever posted but I must say, after reading the_oz_girl's recipe I'll be trying them like that next :drool: