Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Is this normal...and it WAS working...now not so sure (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459736)

aaiya 11-01-2012 06:32 PM

Is this normal...and it WAS working...now not so sure

I'm on Day 1 of potty training my almost-27 month old DD. I'm noticing that (when she doesn't straight-up pee a puddle onto the floor) she'll pee a little bit in to her undies. Then she stops and we make it to the potty. Then she'll pee a little bit and think she's done. But there's more pee in there. Earlier today, I was making the mistake of thinking she was done...but after we had several puddles right after getting done peeing (practically while she was eating her 3 potty candy mini m&ms)...I started trying to talk her in to staying in the bathroom and we had more success...more pee than that first initial deposit.

I guess my question is...is this normal? DS never did this. (FWIW, my kids do have some food sensitivity issues but DD can usually handle most things as long as we don't overdo it...I'm wondering if I should get all food-strict or if this is a normal potty training behavior until they learn to release those muscles).

mibarra 11-02-2012 02:36 PM

Re: Is this normal?

DD1 did that sometimes. She would also ask to potty to go pee, then stand up, leave the room, and poop her pants. I think your DD is still trying to figure out what her body is trying to tell her. ;)

aaiya 11-02-2012 09:10 PM

Yeah, with Day 2 under our belts, I think she's just trying to figure things out. Today went MUCH better. Still had a few "dribble-pee a little-puddle" episodes, but had many, many more successes...and she kept the same pair of undies for most of the morning (Yay!) We even ended on a (mostly) positive note, which I'm glad about. It seemed like her little brain must have been working on it over night because this morning was SO different than yesterday was. Much less discouraged today! :D

mibarra 11-02-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaiya
Yeah, with Day 2 under our belts, I think she's just trying to figure things out. Today went MUCH better. Still had a few "dribble-pee a little-puddle" episodes, but had many, many more successes...and she kept the same pair of undies for most of the morning (Yay!) We even ended on a (mostly) positive note, which I'm glad about. It seemed like her little brain must have been working on it over night because this morning was SO different than yesterday was. Much less discouraged today! :D

We struggled for about 3-4 days, then it seemed to click. Glad it went better! :)

mashav 11-03-2012 03:08 PM

I think it's more normal for girls, just have to make sure they sit there for a bit more and explain the concept of 'all done'.

aaiya 11-03-2012 08:41 PM

Day 3 done...and I'm still hoping it clicks here, soon. Today wasn't as good as yesterday, though we did have some successes. With DS, we struggled for 11 days before I threw in the towel and put him back in diapers. I'm really really hoping not to have a repeat of history.

apboyles 11-04-2012 02:08 AM

I say, "I can't hear you peeing" and that usually gets DS to pee some more so I can hear it. Worth a try!

aaiya 11-04-2012 06:55 PM

Oooo...good tip. I'll give it a try. This afternoon, she peed on her "blankie" (which is really just a piece of fabric she stole from me :)) I acted like I could hear blankie talking and told her it said it didn't like getting peed on and wanted her to pee in the potty. She's been doing really well ever since! :D All the one-on-one mama attention while DH took DS to church solo probably didn't hurt, either. Let's just hope it continues!

aaiya 11-06-2012 09:22 AM

Day 5 (yesterday) was AWESOME!!! We only had one puddle all day! I'm super excited about this! I think after she has a few days of success under her belt, we'll start night training, too.

Steph Ed 11-06-2012 09:30 AM

Re: Is this normal...and IT'S WORKING!!!

Yay!!! Good for you and her!!!!