Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459936)

Kiliki 11-02-2012 12:35 PM

QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

I don't ever cook pig bacon. I hate it. But I'm using it for something today.

anyway, TONS AND TONS of bacon grease!

what can I make with this?

I know it's fatty and not good for you. That's ok. We eat healthy probably 90% of the time. And I want to make something for my insanely skinny DH to eat. He LOVES pig bacon.

Suggestions?

s@hmommy 11-02-2012 12:36 PM

Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Gravy and biscuits. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

PBAki 11-02-2012 12:37 PM

I'll use it for everything if we had tons. Things just taste better with animal fat sorry. :drif::drif::drif:

In for answers!

bfuzzy2 11-02-2012 12:40 PM

Fry up some eggs!

My grandma would keep her bacon grease in the frig for future use.

Kiliki 11-02-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s@hmommy (Post 15887981)
Gravy and biscuits. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

I can't believe I'm born and raised southern and HATE biscuits and gravy and pig bacon. Am I the weirdest ever or what?

I also don't know HOW to make it. :giggle:

I found a recipe for biscuits. I'll try it I guess. Worried I'll screw it up tho.

How long will it keep? Can I reheat it for him for Bfast tomorrow and surprise him?

Kiliki 11-02-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfuzzy2 (Post 15888002)
Fry up some eggs!

My grandma would keep her bacon grease in the frig for future use.

ah, ok. This might be a good idea!

So, like spoon some out and melt it in the pan and then use it to cook eggs?

Sounds better than what I've been using (spray can oil stuff. :yuck:)

3 ladybugs 11-02-2012 12:46 PM

Oh there is a whole book on what you can do with lard (I need to get that book!). We purposely cook with it. In fact DH was outside on Sunday rendering our lard for the storm. :laugh: We have made salad dressing with it (you haven't lived till you have had this!), fry with it, use it in the place of butter when cooking (not sure about baking but I imagine this could work too) or any number of other things. To me lard is God's gift to Christians! It is liquid gold deliciousness!

Kiliki 11-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 15888028)
Oh there is a whole book on what you can do with lard (I need to get that book!). We purposely cook with it. In fact DH was outside on Sunday rendering our lard for the storm. :laugh: We have made salad dressing with it (you haven't lived till you have had this!), fry with it, use it in the place of butter when cooking (not sure about baking but I imagine this could work too) or any number of other things. To me lard is God's gift to Christians! It is liquid gold deliciousness!

That cracked me up!:giggle2:

I can't get past the part about it being basically pure fat.:yuck:

But, I could try.

lisaaag 11-02-2012 12:50 PM

Gravy and biscuits, seasoning vegetables when cooking, like blackeyed peas, butter beans, pinto, collard greens etc. I also use it to season my iron skillets and keep them greased. I keep a cup of it in the fridge at all times.

s@hmommy 11-02-2012 12:51 PM

Do you know how to make the gravy? That's the important part, it just smothers the taste of the biscuit anyway! It will keep if you want to reheat in the morning, just warm it up slowly and you will probably need to add a little milk to keep it from getting too thick.

I make it super easy. Heat up the grease (I use one package of bacons worth :blush:) pretty hot then turn back the heat to med-low. Add about 2 heaping spoons of flour (start with less), you want it to be watery enough you can still stir it with no lumps. Cook like this for a few minutes to cook out the flour taste. Then add about 2-3 cups of milk slowly and keep stirring. It will thicken as you cook it. It makes a pretty big pan full, you can add milk as after you take it off the heat if it seems too thick.

I may have to cook some now! Making me hungry!