Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Any mammas who travel for work? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459981)

thealmightyme 11-02-2012 02:46 PM

Any mammas who travel for work?

How do you and your children cope without seeing each other? Are they happy when you are gone, or when you get back?

Do they have more of an attachment to Dad/other care providers?

I just started a new job where I will be traveling out of the country. When I interviewed I was told approx 1 week per month. Which is not bad, but now that I have started it may be much more than that.

jamieism 02-11-2013 10:26 PM

I was just thinking about posting something about this. I don't travel as much as you but I started a job where I travel up to 20% - so far I've only had two trips that were four days and one or two over nights but its hard. I know a lot of dads do it all the time and its no big deal but it is hard for me. I feel bad for dh bc I know it's hard being alone with the kids and I miss my girls.

One of my DDs is a real daddy's girl but she has been that way since she was a year old - long before I took this job.

I know a some people say Skype is really great and I did that once but my youngest got so upset after that we didn't do it again. I do try to call though. I call dh every night and the kids every other night (again, dd3 gets upset so its hard on dh every night). Fwiw, dd3 was fine with a bottle and went right back to nursing when I got home.

We had dhs mom staying with us for one trip but not the other. In the end I think dh felt like it was almost easier not to have her, though she helped a lot with logistics and is a lovely woman. I think they do find kind of a rhythm on their own and he tries to make sure he isn't trying to cook too many meals (he is our everyday chef so that's no different - I think my girls all think cooking is men's work - ha!)

Anyway... I am curious about other mamas (and papas) who travel.

Oh wait - confession - since I took this job we totally fell off the cd wagon :blush: - dh just wasn't up for it unless I insisted and poor guy looks so frazzled at the end of the day I didn't have the heart to get uptight about it.

carriek38 02-12-2013 04:29 AM

Re: Any mammas who travel for work?

DP just went through some transitions at work & has had some really great opportunities open up, but they do require travel. I don't know yet how hard it is/will be on DP...DD misses her, but is pretty easygoing & just rolls with it so far. It's tough for me in that my office moved & I'm an hour each way from DD's dc & that makes for a really long day for both of us, but otherwise there's a different routine when DP is gone, but it works. I try to do some extra cuddling & something fun for us to do together, baking or something like that, & she usually gets to eat what she wants for dinner, so she makes out pretty well ;) IDK why, but the kid is phone & Skype-challenged, so a quick "Hello" on speaker is about all she gets. She talks about DP a lot while she's gone & ecstatic when she gets home, but not distraught or anything while she's gone.

jamieism 02-13-2013 12:43 AM

I think dd3 is like that when I am gone unless we Skype. Talks about me but is generally fine. I had an evening thing today until 9pm and she did ask DH if he would nurse her heehee but other than that...
To OPs question though, I don't think it really changes the bonding. Or maybe it does give them a chance to be closer to dh but I don't feel like they have lost their connection to me. Though I do feel a little out of the loop sometimes

Carrie that sounds exciting for Freya. Hard, but exciting.

onematchfire 05-29-2013 09:58 AM

I travel for work at least one day per week, at least three weeks out of four. Several times per year I have multiple-day trips. This is nothing new, since I've been doing so for almost four years. I'm due with my first in September, and my travel is one of the reasons my husband will be staying home with the baby. I haven't been through it but know three or four other mothers in the same position, and it's just something you have to find a way to manage, especially if you're the primary breadwinner.

Boona 06-03-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onematchfire (Post 16633121)
I travel for work at least one day per week, at least three weeks out of four. Several times per year I have multiple-day trips. This is nothing new, since I've been doing so for almost four years. I'm due with my first in September, and my travel is one of the reasons my husband will be staying home with the baby. I haven't been through it but know three or four other mothers in the same position, and it's just something you have to find a way to manage, especially if you're the primary breadwinner.

You have done a great job. That's really nice and most appreciable that you do that. I would like thanks to you that you share this information here with us. Keep it up.

katiegud 06-04-2013 11:49 AM

I rarely travel, but when I do we use Skype. DD just knows that I'll be back in a few days and she's ok with it. She's only 2 though, so maybe she's too young to get really upset about it. I make sure to at least call every day though, so she can hear my voice.

mom22sofar 06-04-2013 09:50 PM

I have always travelled a bit with work, and so my kids do not know any different. It is pretty normal to them, and typically, it means grandparents are coming to help out so they love it Even when it is just daddy at home with them, it is totally fine, it is pretty normal for them and not a big deal