Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Asked to be adoptive parent... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460105)

BlackRose 11-03-2012 02:29 AM

Asked to be adoptive parent...

My cousin's friend had her ask me if I'd want to adopt her baby, my cousin did so knowing that I have been trying/wanting another baby for close to 7 years now. What I know of the birth mom is that she already has one daughter and is 6 weeks pregnant. She is wanting to go into the military but they don't accept single parents. So her plan is to sign over rights of her daugther to her mom and adopt the baby out. She is wanting an open adoption.

It brought me to tears that my cousin would think of me for this. I'm at a loss of where to go from here. I've looked online and it says that I'd have to no live with anyone. This worries me since once my grandmother gets her new house I will be moving in with her to help her and be there for her. I've seen this as God giving me a sign that we will bless me with what I've been praying for if I just put the effort in to make myself/life better.

Sorry for the jumbled ramble. Any help and info appreciated. :goodvibes:

sunnymommy 11-03-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Asked to be adoptive parent...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRose (Post 15890417)
I'm at a loss of where to go from here. I've looked online and it says that I'd have to no live with anyone. This worries me since once my grandmother gets her new house I will be moving in with her to help her and be there for her.

What you would need to start with is contacting an adoption attorney or agency to help you with a private identified (meaning that the birth parent and adopting parent already know each other) adoption. The attorney will need to meet with the birth mom and tell you what requirements you would need to meet, likely getting an adoptive home study done. I am not sure where you are getting the not live with anyone part. That shouldn't be a problem.

BlackRose 11-03-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnymommy (Post 15891510)
What you would need to start with is contacting an adoption attorney or agency to help you with a private identified (meaning that the birth parent and adopting parent already know each other) adoption. The attorney will need to meet with the birth mom and tell you what requirements you would need to meet, likely getting an adoptive home study done. I am not sure where you are getting the not live with anyone part. That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the point in the right direction. I will be contacting attorneys on Monday.

It was in Utah Adoption Laws that I found online. It says you that they require you to own/rent your own house. :headscratch:

sunnymommy 11-03-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRose (Post 15892352)
It was in Utah Adoption Laws that I found online. It says you that they require you to own/rent your own house. :headscratch:

Hmmm.. well each state is different and sometimes very specific. I don't know anything about Utah. I am guess though that it has to do with showing being able to financially support the child.

MillieP 11-04-2012 12:20 AM

Is the birth father also interested is placing the baby with you?

Agree, definitely contact an adoption attorney for what the next steps would be. Exciting!

BlackRose 11-05-2012 04:11 PM

The BM is underage and the dad isn't involved. Therefore according to Utah law he has no rights. My cousins husband went through this a year or so ago.

WynneBabies 11-05-2012 04:21 PM

At 6 weeks along, the bio father has time to become involved (as it wasn't long ago he was "involved" with the mom, if you know what I mean). I know Utah has laws that are extremely unfavorable to bio fathers, but it still is something to take into consideration this early in the game. If the mom is underage, I'm assuming you mean she will not turn 18 before the baby is born? If so, I know some places that mom's parents have to approve the adoption since the mom is still a minor.

BlackRose 11-06-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WynneBabies (Post 15899821)
At 6 weeks along, the bio father has time to become involved (as it wasn't long ago he was "involved" with the mom, if you know what I mean). I know Utah has laws that are extremely unfavorable to bio fathers, but it still is something to take into consideration this early in the game. If the mom is underage, I'm assuming you mean she will not turn 18 before the baby is born? If so, I know some places that mom's parents have to approve the adoption since the mom is still a minor.

I do believe she will be 18 shortly after the baby is born. From what my cousin has told me the father was a exboyfriend that she only saw again for that 1 time.

MillieP 11-07-2012 07:45 PM

Even if the dad doesn't have "legal" rights I still think its worth reaching out on a moral and ethical level.

WynneBabies 11-07-2012 09:58 PM

No matter what the circumstances, the dad still has legal rights. He's the biological father. Utah is tricky though. Anywhere else they would need to get his approval for the adoption.