Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Real food stockpile? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460144)

greencrunchymama 11-03-2012 08:35 AM

Real food stockpile?

We eat gluten free, real, whole foods and I'm trying to build up some food storage in case of an emergency but I can't think of things to buy. We don't eat canned food from aluminum cans so every time I buy a case they expire before we eat them. What should I get to stockpile? I'm drawing a blank.

bumminbeachbabe 11-03-2012 09:09 AM

You can purchase freeze fried foods in cans that are bpa free if that's a concern.

We are building our food storage. We purchase most of it through a company that specializes in food storage. They have fruits, veggies, grains, proteins, and dairy. I know they've been adding a lot to their line recently.

Eta: shelf reliance is the company. They've been adding gluten free stuff.

jbug_4 11-03-2012 09:20 AM

Re: Real food stockpile?

Yep freeze dried or dehydrated foods. And there are these http://www.aaoobfoods.com/KosherMREs...le.htm#Allergy Free . They are really expensive but my dd has food allergies and this is the only place I can find stuff like this that is designed for food allergies. Everywhere else has potential cross contamination risk with nuts.

greencrunchymama 11-03-2012 11:07 AM

Those are both awesome sites- thank you! I am going to have to place an order!

crystalanne79 11-10-2012 12:09 PM

oats? If we ever need to live off our stockpile oatmeal will be a big go-to for our family.

tootsy_toes 11-10-2012 12:14 PM

We store dried beans and brown rice. You can also grow your own spinach and other salad greens relatively easily, either outside, covered with plastic like a green house, or inside in trays.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-10-2012 01:22 PM

We always have 25-50lbs of rolled oats, rice, wheat berries, flour. Then we have 20lbs. of dried beans.
Then we buy coconut oil, olive oil in bulk and have ready for emergency. Dried fruits have a good shelf life, but we are out right now. Maple Syrup (the real stuff) and honey is something we always buy large quantities of and keep in stock. If you don't use sugar, you at least need to have something that will sweeten oats and whatnot so your kids don't get meal-weary . Having both will offer variety.
I do keep commercially canned green beans because if we are starving and need it, I have no qualms about eating it to stay alive! haha. I home can the rest of our garden and have in the pantry.

justineybean 11-10-2012 08:36 PM

What about canning your own food? That might not be an option but then you could use glass jars. :)

stacy32613 11-11-2012 03:19 PM

Well, assuming said emergency doesn't include power outage, you can make ahead and freeze... Lots of great suggestions, thank you for sharing!

qsefthuko 11-11-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 15918781)
We always have 25-50lbs of rolled oats, rice, wheat berries, flour. Then we have 20lbs. of dried beans.
Then we buy coconut oil, olive oil in bulk and have ready for emergency. Dried fruits have a good shelf life, but we are out right now. Maple Syrup (the real stuff) and honey is something we always buy large quantities of and keep in stock. If you don't use sugar, you at least need to have something that will sweeten oats and whatnot so your kids don't get meal-weary . Having both will offer variety.
I do keep commercially canned green beans because if we are starving and need it, I have no qualms about eating it to stay alive! haha. I home can the rest of our garden and have in the pantry.

I really like these ideas because it is economical, doesn't require refrigeration and financially doable.