Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Continuous contractions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460402)

aemarques 11-04-2012 01:48 AM

I'm now about 2.5 months pp and want to have a natural home birth for my future babies. I don't know if I can do it though, but I googled about this and I'm not the only one who has experienced birth like this. I planned for an all natural birth with midwives in a hospital.

My contractions immediately began 2 minutes apart 1 minute long. Very sudden. Not super painful but there and definitely crampy and uncomfortable. Within 5 hours of them beginning they were continuous with very few breaks. I had LONG contractions where I thought it would never end. When I got to the hospital I was hooked up to the moniter and my longest contraction was 51 minutes long. Long unbearable crazy intense contractions. The nurse asked what I took to induce labor because this was abnormal. I did take castor oil the night before. I received an epidural and immediately dilated from 3cm to 10cm and ready to push, so fast they didn't even have time to catheterize me and drain my bladder babies head was too far down.

But do you think it was truly from the castor oil or this is just the way my body labors? I googled and other women have experienced similar things but with out the castor oil.

Should I go for the all natural next time? I'm just scared to be at home with a midwife because there is no way I could bear hour long contractions for hours and hours. With breaks and contractions lasting 3-4 minutes sure, no problem.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-04-2012 05:53 AM

Re: Continuous contractions

With my first, I had back labor with no breaks between contractions (just constant pain one after another after another after another... the midwife even had me drink some alcohol to try to give me a small break between contractions with not much luck). I just thought it was a normal back-labor to have that, but maybe not? Did you have back labor or contractions in the front?

MelDM 11-04-2012 08:37 AM

During a contraction babies don't receive adequate oxygen from the placenta. Which is why we worry when contraction are too close/often or lasting too long. A baby cannot survive 51 minutes without adequate oxygenation. Did you feel your uterus and it was tight for 51 minutes? Or did you have back pain/pressure for that long? I would guess that babies position made it feel like a constant contraction, but in reality it wasn't. Not only that but if your uterus was truly contracted for that long, you would have had a horrible postpartum hemhorage.

aemarques 11-04-2012 10:23 AM

I had no back labor all of It was in the front. Baby wasn't doing well and I had to be on oxygen and was told do breathe as deep as I possibly could. I was on the verge of a csection.

I was very out of it, and when I finally decided it was okay to get an epidural they did it while I was in a contraction and wouldnt wait for the break. Im assuming because they were so long and id be waiting a while for it to end. It was the nurse who told my husband how long it was on the moniter,

But even if it was just pressure or baby was in a painful position, is it common for it to go on for so long? I just want to know what to expect for future labor to determine if I should try it from home or not.

mysticmomma1879 11-04-2012 03:16 PM

T

BeccaSueCongdon 11-04-2012 03:24 PM

Sounds like the second half of my active labor at home, though it was short. My DD was born after 3 hours of active labor (I had 12 hours of early labor that weren't like that, though). I didn't have any complications that were identified at home after baby was born, though j did lose a lot of blood. My own preference will be to birth in a hospital next time. And I didn't use castor oil. My mw had me taking magnesium supplements as a uterine toner so maybe that had a role? Not sure.

If I personally had your scenario, I would not choose to deliver at home. The pattern of your contractions sounds close to the pattern for placental abruption, and I'm not confident in the ability of a cpm (or even a cnm or OB) to recognize an abruption without seeing baby's HR over time on an EFM, and comparing them to contractions on the monitor. The potential risk isn't worth it to me personally. And for the record, I enjoyed my homebirth and am happy I did it. So my choice isn't based on regret over that experience.

aemarques 11-04-2012 07:45 PM

Yeah I think I may choose another hospital birth with midwives just for the safety of the baby. And the possibility that this happens again. They still provide everything naturally including a birth tub and such you just can't deliver baby in the tub you have to get out.

If my second goes okay maybe I will plan my third as a home birth. If we have a third, hoping!

Thanks for sharing your story mama :)

BeccaSueCongdon 11-04-2012 11:11 PM

You might consider trying it without castor oil this time to see if that makes a difference too. It wouldn't necessarily *prove* whether the castor oil caused it last time, but I'd be curious about it.

I'm on the fence about whether I'll do the magnesium for uterine toning again. On one hand I know it's not a scientifically validated thing so I don't *know* that it made a difference in helping me have such a quick birth. But there is part of me I think that doubts whether my body would perform that way without help. Sort of a self-doubt sort of hangup if that makes sense.

aemarques 11-05-2012 07:03 AM

Yeah after I had the baby the nurse came to talk to me about what happened and said I had a bad reaction to the castor oil and that she's seen it happen before. Not sure if I believe it was the castor oil, I don't see it as being something so powerful like a drug to cause to me labor this way but who knows, I will never take it again.

I forgot to mention I was also vomiting uncontrollably. They gave me antinausea meds and it didn't help at all, i was miserable. Maybe that was from the castor oil.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-05-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aemarques
Yeah after I had the baby the nurse came to talk to me about what happened and said I had a bad reaction to the castor oil and that she's seen it happen before. Not sure if I believe it was the castor oil, I don't see it as being something so powerful like a drug to cause to me labor this way but who knows, I will never take it again.

I forgot to mention I was also vomiting uncontrollably. They gave me antinausea meds and it didn't help at all, i was miserable. Maybe that was from the castor oil.

How much did you take? And how did you take it?