Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to find a reputable piercer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460441)

Rhianna'sMommy 11-04-2012 07:57 AM

How to find a reputable piercer?

So dd2 (5) is starting to talk about getting her ears pierced. How do I find a reputable piercer? The only place I know about is Claires (which is where Mommy friends I know have taken their kids). I know no one who does piercing or tatoos so I can't really ask about piercing parlors. And I am not comfortable taking my 5 yr old to a random tatoo place to get her ears piercedeither.

So how do I find a good place to get dd's ears pierced if I don't really want to do the piercing gun at Claires?

loveramongstars 11-04-2012 10:17 AM

Sometimes department stores like JCPenney do them in their salons. You can check Salons. Also, where are you?

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

JennTheMomma 11-04-2012 10:57 AM

Re: How to find a reputable piercer?

Normally only tattoo parlors use needles, which is what you're suppose to use. Sometimes Pediatricians will use needles, but rarely. I honestly feel more comfortable at a parlor than a store in the mall, but parlors here don't do kids under 14.

ccserrano 11-04-2012 12:17 PM

Our pediatrician (2 different drs) did both of my daughters .

twinpossible 11-04-2012 12:28 PM

I would rather go to a parlor then Claires. The above post is right, you are supposed to use a needle but Claires just pushes the earring through the lobe. My suggestion is to ask around, my hubby and I have tattoos so most likely we will take our girls there for their ear piercings if they want them and we feel they are old enough to decide. Our local parlors will pierce only ear lobs on children under 18 and the parent needs to sign.

mom2LBJ 11-04-2012 01:20 PM

google tattoo & piercing in your area and read reviews. Going to a reputable tattoo shop and having them done with a needle is going to be better than having someone use a gun at Claires. I've seen children with their parents walk into the tattoo shop while being tattooed to get their ears done all the time. The shop I go to also requires children to have an ID (like a passport) and to have the parent's ID also.

Rhianna'sMommy 11-04-2012 07:22 PM

We have well child visits on Wednesday. I'll have to ask my pedi if they do it. I've googled a tiny bit and not finding a ton of reviews but I haven't spent a lot of time looking yet.

KaleidoscopeEyes 11-05-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 15894739)
Normally only tattoo parlors use needles, which is what you're suppose to use. Sometimes Pediatricians will use needles, but rarely. I honestly feel more comfortable at a parlor than a store in the mall, but parlors here don't do kids under 14.

yeah its age 16 here.

yanyan 11-05-2012 10:43 AM

Why is it better to use a needle than one of the piercing guns?

tygr2410 11-05-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanyan (Post 15898484)
Why is it better to use a needle than one of the piercing guns?

a gun compresses the tissues around it and just pushes them to the side vs a needle removes it and does not cause the same trauma.

I would also take my child to a parlor. I have lots of piercing myself. The places are clean and inspected by the health department....i don't think Claire's is. I'd call ahead of time and ask what their policy is and if they would do a child, so long as the child consents and the parent accepts liability.