Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why is my baby rubbing his face on everything? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460533)

Miss squish 11-04-2012 01:18 PM

Why is my baby rubbing his face on everything?

Ds is 6 mo today :goodvibes: he has an on and off habit of rubbing his face on or into things, particularly back and forth across my chest/shoulders when unsettled. Sometimes he rubs it on his playmat, rubs blankets on his face, or just uses his fists. He really pushes his face pretty hard and seems to be uncomfortable. I have not been able to connect it with anything! He's not congested, he has two bottom teeth already but there was no increase in this behavior when he was really miserable while the teeth were breaking through. I've tried giving him nasal saline drops in case his nose is itchy but that doesn't help.
Any ideas? Tylonel helps when he's doing it A LOT but I would rather figure out what the purpose of this is in case I can do something besides medicine. Plus him rubbing his face on me is driving me up the wall.

teacherpippi 11-04-2012 01:24 PM

Re: Why is my baby rubbing his face on everything?

I know you said he already has two teeth, but mine would do that when teething (or really, really tired).

sisu 11-04-2012 01:32 PM

Both of mine did that when they were overtired, along with rubbing their eyes. DD also did it when she was getting tired and wanted to nurse. I didn't ever get the impression that there was any connection to pain, teething, etc.

keen1981 11-04-2012 01:43 PM

I wouldn't give Tylenol for Face rubbing. It's a pain medication....

He's likely tired, or has an itch,

Steph Ed 11-04-2012 01:47 PM

I think it is just something babies do. Does he push off with his feet when he is rubbing his face?

luvsviola 11-04-2012 02:12 PM

I think it probably just feels good to an over stimulated baby. :)

slyeates 11-04-2012 02:12 PM

My dd does this too. She does it when she wants to nurse or when she is tired. Maybe he is rooting, or he could just like the sensation.

abunchoflemons 11-04-2012 02:25 PM

Tired. Mine would also stick hand down my shirt like I need to know my milk is there or something like that.lol.

Miss squish 11-04-2012 04:04 PM

I am well aware that Tylonel is a pain medication. When he does this for a long period of time and appears to me to be in pain, I use it and it helps.

I guess it could be tired.......he's been doing it more the past few days and he has not been sleeping well. I was thinking the cause for restlessness and the face rubbing were the same but I may be misreading that. I'll watch more closely with this in mind.

If it is that he likes the feeling, any ideas how to redirect? His nose especially is red from all the rubbing.

southernbelle04 11-04-2012 04:45 PM

My baby does this when she is overtired & fighting sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum