Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460581)

raisingcropsandbabies 11-04-2012 05:23 PM

Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
Hey C-section Mamas,
So DH is really after me to decided if we are done having kids or having 1 more. Like he mentions this every other day, kind of thing. The thought of a 4th c-section is really making this a harder decision and yet I've always wanted at least 5 children. I need your thoughts...

I have 4 kiddos (5,4,2,1) and the last 3 have been necessary c-sections. I had a lot of scarring after the 3rd baby and because of that I had a bladder injury when they knicked my bladder trying to separate it from the uterus (lots of scarring on it, connecting) during the 4th baby's c-section. Anyway, I got back feeling the urge to pee about a week after the c/s and so I am very thankful!!! Now the doctor didn't talk about not having more babies (he really feels like it should all be upto the Mom and Dad).

I just read these statistics and seeing as how the adhesions have already been an issue (and I don't know if a bladder injury is considered major)... I'm just nervous!!! My question would be: With the above background, would the statistics play a big role in deciding to add another to your family??? I know you can't tell me what to do, but I am hoping hearing your thoughts will trigger some more thought from me. Thank you in advance.

:
ICAN gives these risks for a 3rd C-section:

Risk of hysterectomy: 0.9%(1 in 111)
Risk of blood transfusion: 2.26% (1 in 44)
Risk of placenta accreta: 0.57% (1 in 175)
Risk of major complications: 7.5% (1 in 13)
Risk of dense adhesions: 32.2% (1 in 3)

And with a 4th C-section:

Risk of hysterectomy: 2.41% (1 in 41)
Risk of blood transfusion: 3.65% (1 in 27)
Risk of placenta accreta: 2.13% (1 in 47)
Risk of major complications: 12.5% (1 in 8)
Risk of dense adhesions: 42.2% (2 in 5)

- I don't believe we should make decisions out of fear yet I do believe in looking at risks and making informed decisions.

slimy72 11-04-2012 06:06 PM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
I have no clue what I would choose. But personally I would discuss the risk with your Dr. I know you said he feels it's up to mom and dad, but you could approach it as you would like his input as to the risks. Does he feel another is a safe choice. For me, the scariest risk up there is hysterectomy, but if you know that no matter what this is your last anyway, then I guess that isn't totally the end of the world (at least it wouldn't be for me because I already know I"m going to need one as soon as I'm done having kids.) Good luck in your choice, personally, I would want my medical professional's input on it.

happymama1 11-04-2012 06:32 PM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
My maternal fetal specialist told me she is comfortable with most people having up to 6 c-sections, as long as they are otherwise healthy.

Most of those complicaions can be dealt with in some form or another and are not life threatening. The reality is that there are just NO guarantees in life...you can have a vaginal birth with complications too. I wouldn't let statistics scare me out of having another baby if I had a longing for one. For me, I wouldn't want to regret not having another baby when I still could....

Really it is between you and your hubby, and if you believe in God....I'd pray about it quite a bit before making a decision either way.

:hugs:

raisingcropsandbabies 11-04-2012 06:48 PM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
Slimy72- Yes, a 5th baby would my last. I think I'll call the doc up soon and have a chat with him (though I do not think he'll be much help... his experience has shown him you don't know it should've been your last c-section until it really should've been your last c-section, if that makes sense... he said thinning isn't as much as a problem as placental abnormalities and scar tissue growth... he's had a few accretas with 4th c-sections that resulted in an emergency hys, but it's not one of those things that you'd know you before you get pregnant).. If we have a 5th, I actually have been tempted to ask him if they could to a partial hysterrectomy anyway with the thinking that maybe it'd nix the scar tissue adhesions issue that causes me pain. If I'm getting a tubal right after they take the baby out, it seems like a partial h. would accomplish both missions. He may laugh or be completely cool with that.

Happymama1- Thank you. I did have a vaginal birth that was a complete disaster with complications and injury to baby boy and to me, so I really understand your view! haha, sigh. I am a Believer and have been seeking God and I just am not hearing anything back! I'd just like to have a peace about one or the other (or a blinking neon sign). My body feels like a trainwreck a lot of days and so I don't know if I want to have another surgery and risk even more of that feeling. And yet, that worry about regret is very real... So I am really trying to come from a medical standpoint as my more concrete, main reasoning (until God either reveals it to me or DH just loses all patience and secretly gets a vasectomy! haha).

RachelFlores 11-05-2012 09:14 AM

You are making a hard choice. Two things to think about; why do you need to make this decision so quickly? You have a lot of young children very close in age, is there any reason that you and you husband couldn't decide to wait 2-4 years and THEN make a decision on whether you are done adding to your family? The time might give you greater perspective and you can really KNOW that you are supposed to have another baby no matter the risks OR that you family is complete with 4 children. Also, there is more than one way to add children to a family, if you feel the risks are too great, you could look into adoption.

Personally, if i were in your shoes, would wait and see if my health got better over a few years and if I still felt that a 5th child was supposed join us. I would not want to get pregnant right away when I felt my body might not be up to the task.

cowangel 11-13-2012 11:13 AM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
I would tell my dr. what I was thinking and ask them based on my last C/S what they would say to me now knowing what I am thinking - words of concern, words of advice, risks that sort of thing...I'm expecting my 5th and it will be my 5th C/S - I had a uterine window but I have not had the bladder issues...I decided that if God gave us a 5th we'd go from there...and He did so here we are...I don't think the risks go up much for for the 4th as compared to the 3rd myself...I personally would go for it :)...I've heard it said you don't regret the children you have, but you may one day regret the children you didn't have?

cowangel 11-13-2012 11:15 AM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
If your doc is not much help send your records to a doc that has more experience with multiple C/S's and ask their advice at an apt. with them...there are some docs that have experience with multiple C/S out there you just have to search...

gummybearmama 11-14-2012 10:35 AM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
I did not even think to look up the risks of a third csection. I will have to have one this time because I am high risk. That is alittle scary. I had some bleeding the first time around because of my condition but nothing too serious. As we draw closer I am getting a little more nervous. I almost wish I could have a vaginal birth but that I am really scared of lol

raisingcropsandbabies 11-17-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Weighing Pros/Cons of 4th C/S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelFlores (Post 15897826)
You are making a hard choice. Two things to think about; why do you need to make this decision so quickly? You have a lot of young children very close in age, is there any reason that you and you husband couldn't decide to wait 2-4 years and THEN make a decision on whether you are done adding to your family? The time might give you greater perspective and you can really KNOW that you are supposed to have another baby no matter the risks OR that you family is complete with 4 children. Also, there is more than one way to add children to a family, if you feel the risks are too great, you could look into adoption.

Personally, if i were in your shoes, would wait and see if my health got better over a few years and if I still felt that a 5th child was supposed join us. I would not want to get pregnant right away when I felt my body might not be up to the task.

Dh really wants me to come to a decision (thus the haste). We are using condoms and he hates it (as do I, but I don't do hormonal bc) so I think that plays a big factor in his impatience. He also likes them close together, but I told him I just can't right now. 4 in 4 years has put a toll on me (3 being c/s).

Anyway, I talked to DH the other night about it more in depth and he's giving me another 6 months to figure out what I want to do (he was really pushing me to come to a decision by 1 year old). I told him I would like to lose more babieS weight and kinda see how I feel after that and then the youngest will be 1-1/2 and that will probably make a difference (I've never had over 19 mos. apart kids and so to not even be pregnant at that point is sooo crazy and exciting to me). I'm glad he's comfortable with this because I felt like I was going crazy being on a timeline. DH is content with 4, feels done, but is fine with a 5th if that is what I want (though he really hates seeing me pregnant and during recovery... they are so helpless and that is a hard feeling for men!).

And Cowangel- I don't think I could regret a 5th baby and yet I might mourn the loss of bladder sensation or more painful adhesions and whatnot... it's a hard choice. I definitely want to be as healthy as I can be so I can mother my 4 kiddos the way they deserve. I hope it wouldn't have to be one or the other, but one must consider the risks that are real (esp. if a few have already happened). I guess I'll be staying in prayer! Never a bad thing! haha. Better than making a decision while so mixed up. :)

txmommytobe 11-17-2012 07:29 PM

Hi! I am currently pregnant with #4 and also had alot of concerns when we discussed TTC #4. I scheduled an appt and went in and talked to my doctor. My doctor told me it was not his decision how many children I would have but to explain to me the risks that I could face. That said he made me feel very at ease and we decided that having #4 was feasible. Definitely talk to your doc :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors