Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Wwyd- ear infection (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460615)

dudleypippen 11-04-2012 06:33 PM

Wwyd- ear infection

I'm fairly certain my 7 month old has an ear infection. DH noticed him pulling on his ear on Friday and this afternoon he was definitely doing it more. He doesn't seem to be in pain, no fever, normal behavior. He has had a minor cold so far, but nothing that I thought required a trip to the doctor. Should I call and bring him in tomorrow or am I a bad parent for just waiting it out at this point?

mibarra 11-04-2012 06:37 PM

It's hard to say. If it's not otherwise bothering him I might wait it out, but there's always the risk it will rupture and you'll be stuck with a baby screaming in pain in the middle of the night...you just never know...

Newton 11-04-2012 06:37 PM

Re: Wwyd- ear infection

When my DD was that age the Dr said the newest research said to wait 48 hrs before treating an ear infection b/c a huge percentage clear up on their own

Sarahknavy 11-04-2012 08:02 PM

A few times we thought my son had an ear infection but turns out it was just from teething.

EmilytheStrange 11-04-2012 08:04 PM

if you're breastfeeding, you can put some in his ears.

but it could just be teething, especially without any other symptoms. Either way, BM won't hurt.

Nerissa 11-04-2012 08:05 PM

I would take him in tomorrow. I recently had ear infection and it was horrible. It hurt so bad. I will not wait it out and make my kids suffer.

songbird516 11-04-2012 08:13 PM

I would wait out out. He's more likely to get actually sick from germs at the doctor's office, and research seems to show that antibiotics are overkill for most ear infections, sinus infections, etc. and both of my kids have pulled their ears for no discernable reason.

luvsviola 11-04-2012 08:15 PM

If he isn't bothered by it (my kids scream hysterically in the middle of the night), I'd let it go. Many peds don't treat ear infections with antibiotics unless the kid is obviously bothered by it, anyway.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-05-2012 03:44 AM

I put olive oil (per their pediatrician) in their ears if they seem to be bothering them and it's worked out every time. I also have had an ear infection and have put olive oil in my ear and it healed up! Some people warm it up, but I'm too lazy. It feels strange, but I can't argue with the results!

mcpforever 11-05-2012 09:13 AM

I would wait until he's clearly in pain. At this point, it is most likely just fluid and not infected.