Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   seems I have a problem.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460730)

TakodasMomma 11-05-2012 08:01 AM

seems I have a problem..

So my son is 25 months old. And has discovered how to climb out of his bed. He doesn't fall and does it so quietly I don't even know he's out. So I am going to have to change it to a toddler bed. Here's my problem. He doesn't know how to stay in the bed but he does know how to get outside of our house and turn the oven on.. And get into all things. So I'm worried as to what to do...

escapethevillage 11-05-2012 08:53 AM

Re: seems I have a problem..

Put two baby gates at the end of the hallway, so he can only go as far as you want him to go. (for now)

But, also put high locks on the doors, and cover the stove knobs so he can't get to them. Just make it as kid proof as you can think of so when he's wandering around he can't hurt himself, leave, burn the house down, cook, or destroy something.

I'd also add some bells to anything that opens so you'll hear him.

It's usually a stage that they outgrow, But, I have had two friends who removed the bedroom door and put a security screen door on the bedroom to lock the boys in the bedroom because they were up most of the night FOREVER.

One lady put the son in the master bedroom on the other side of the house, took the knobs off the bathtub so he couldn't turn them on, and put a security door on his bedroom door. He was up most of the night working on the computer, or playing legos, but, if he was allowed freedom of the house, he'd go out in the pool, or out front (they lived in the desert and was the only house for miles..so he could have been killed out there)

They had tried everything else first, and letting him stay awake was the only option they finally decided on.

Kiliki 11-05-2012 08:54 AM

You said "change it to a toddler bed" ... does this mean he is in a crib right now?

Here are some things I recommend. First and foremost, you need to secure all doors leading outside. They have locks you can buy to put up high where he cannot reach. Or if you don't want to drill holes and do the locks (like if you are in an apt) you can buy these little alarms that go at the top of doors, that I am pretty sure you can install with those double-sided padded tape things (they come with in the package). When the door is opened, a loud alarm will sound.

Next, I'd try to find a way to make it to where he has no way of getting up without waking you somehow. Could you super duper baby proof his room and then leave the door closed? That way you know he is in there? If he knows how to open a door, this would be easier b/c you could just tie a bell around his door handle on the outside so that when he opens it, the bell dings and you'll hear it and know he's up.

How old is your LO? It is never too soon to start talking to him about safety around the house. Meds and chemicals should be put where he can't access them. Sometimes this takes some creativity, but it can be done. You don't even really NEED child locks to do it. Example: if you hsve a bathroom that locks, put all the chemicals under that sink, and all the meds in that cabinet, and then just leave the bathroom door locked and closed so he cannot open it. You should have (or be able to find pretty easily) the little tool to unlock the door from the outside.

The best way to prevent an accident (IMO) is to educate your kids. Again, this depends on age. But for us, this involves starting really early (like crawling age) and disciplining (however you choose to do that) for things like opening cupboards, or touching the stove. They soon catch on and will just move on to other, more interesting things. (I've used this method with all 3 of my kids and they've never gotten into any meds/chemicals they shouldn't.) You can teach them that chemicals can make you very sick, the stove can start a fire, etc. etc.

:hugs: I hope you can find some solutions!

abunchoflemons 11-05-2012 09:08 AM

What type of crib? If one side is lower put at wall. If climbs out other not sure.

dressagemom 11-05-2012 09:00 PM

I like PP's suggestion to start talking to your DS about staying safe. Obviously, you will do things like put meds and chemicals out of reach, but it's important to start teaching him that some things are only for mama or daddy to use. I also like the suggestion to put a bell on anything that might move to alert you to his position. Baby gates can help you limit his ability to move throughout the house.

With regard to teaching him to stay in his bed, it takes consistency. Every.single.time he gets out of bed, you have to put him back, and remind him that "it's time for sleeping now, stay in your bed." It will not happen overnight, but it will happen eventually. Even if he isn't ready to sleep, he can learn to stay in his bed and play with his toys, read books, listen to music, etc.

Personally, I don't like putting locks high up on the door, because I worry about getting out quickly in the event of an emergency. If that works for you, go for it. I have a friend who has had to do that to keep her SN child safe. She also has chimes installed on exterior doors to alert her to anyone opening the door (her son is a runner).

EmilytheStrange 11-05-2012 09:08 PM

either baby gates (which might not work if he can climb out of a crib quietly) or put locks on the doors and possibly knob covers.

DD is also 25months and we now live in a house without deadbolts and so I was having nightmares about her going outdoors at night. Doorknob covers are working for now and I am needing to get some locks for the tops of the external doors. A doorknob cover also keeps her in her room and will eventually keep her out of the baby's room.

You can buy childproof things for your oven/stove, or you might be able to just pull off the knobs when they're not in use.

everything else can be childproofed, but if you keep him in his own room, that should reduce the worries.

coffeemama 11-05-2012 09:12 PM

Get an angel care monitor with the movement sensor pad. We have a DD that is the same way so we put that under the mattress and a baby gate at the door to slow her down. The monitor beeps after so many seconds letting u know they r up

DottieHarley 11-06-2012 10:42 AM

You might be able to get away with a "tall" pet gate - like one made for german shepherds or something. Check amazon or pet stores, I'm sure they would have some in stock that you could look at (unless you mean he's figured out how to open the gate part).