Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sit and stand strollers for dummies?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460774)

Mom2Connor 11-05-2012 10:05 AM

Sit and stand strollers for dummies??

LO#2 is due in April, DS turns 3 in August. We definitely want a double stroller. We are stroller people, LOL, please, no flames.

DS likes riding in the stroller around places like the mall, etc He plays in the play area, then we wander (DH works nights, so we spend lots of afternoons out and about). At places like the zoo, etc, he usually walks but will ride on occasion too.

So all that said, we definitely want a double stroller. The city mini's look nice and I know they are so worth it, but it's just not likely in the budget and I don't want to spend that much since he probably won't use the double past that first year with newbie. Also, to use with the bucket seat we have to buy attachments, then the tray that holds drinks, etc. It just really adds up.

So we were looking at the graco ready 2 grow double stroller which can hold two seats or one seat and one sit and stand type bench. Problem is the seats only hold up to 40 lbs. DH is 6'3" and a big guy and DS at 2 yrs 3 mo is already almost 33 lbs (just weighed at dr today at an appt). So I doubt that will work long with the two seats.

So my question is this - we already have a good (non expired stored inside) graco snug ride 35 seat that we are going to be using for LO#2. The appealing aspect of the graco sit and stand is that the carseat just snaps right in (according to the BRU employee).

How do the bucket seats work with other sit and stands? The summer will probably contains lots of zoo, museum, etc trips so a bucket seat is a must and it must work with the stroller. Help, suggestions? I'm totally open minded hear. No particular budget, but it'd be nice to stay under a few hundred. I see lots of used sit and stands going to about $50 at places like OUAC and CL, mommy FB groups, etc, but I don't know what works with what seat. I would really appreciate any helpful tips on stroller! Thank you so much!:goodvibes:

Mama*Kim 11-05-2012 10:39 AM

The actual Sit And Stand brand ones have a bar that goes across the seat to clip the car seat to and a strap to put over the foot of the seat. As far as growth of your older son, keep in mind that he will start slowing down soon. DS1 was very similar to your DS at that age, but now at almost 5, he's just barely 40 lbs.

Nerissa 11-05-2012 10:49 AM

Re: Sit and stand strollers for dummies??

We are stroller people too. I have had many different sit and stands. Here is my take

We used the standard Graco double stroller until the baby was out of the bucket for the first two.

Baby Trend sit and stand-- like it for my older boys. There isn't a sun shade over the sit/stand part (at least on the one I had) they were 4 and 2 when I got it. At one point had three kids on it when my 4 year old neice was with us. With a newborn I didn't lke the idea of the bucket being out front. It just seemed so far away.

Joovy sit and stand--hated it. way to small. I have bigger boys and it was horrible to push

Graco ready to grow---love, love, love this stroller. If this had been available when I had DS2 i would have bought it and never needed another one. I used it as a standard sit and stand last spring at a festivle and had both my boys and my niece all riding on it. The sun shades cover both the front seat and the stand part. That is important to me for my red headed kiddos. It is soo easy to push even with the three kids on it. Last weekend I used it for the first time with the baby. My brothers GF daughter (age 1) sat int he front seat and I put the 2nd seat on and my baby trend bucket sat sideways perfectly in the seat. It was so nice for the zoo trip. I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

WannaBeGreen2011 11-05-2012 10:54 AM

I have a Sit n Stand and wouldn't trade it for the world for those first few weeks after the baby was born. I have the same brand stroller as car seat, so my carrier snaps onto the cup tray on the front seat. I don't know how the ones work that don't have the little groove to snap in so I'm no help there..

When the baby was born, my other son was 4. Those first few weeks of slow walking around the block to calm the baby were great to have the seat or the board for my older son since I wasn't comfortable letting him ride his bike while I walked. Now the baby can sit in the front seat without his carrier and my son still sits or stands on the back occasionally. He is 5 now so we don't let him in the stroller for walking the mall, etc, (I use a single stroller for that) but to walk around for a long time or where it isn't safe we still use it. I don't see it as much as a necessity now but in those first months it was a necessity for sure. Now I want my son to get his exercise so we make him walk or ride his bike, but if I'm going on a 5 mile walk around the neighborhood, no way I want to hear him complain how tired he is the whole time.

I probably could have lived with just my regular single stroller for the big one and worn the little one, but in order for me to get a shower every day, I walked the block until the baby was asleep, then left him in his carrier in the bathroom while I showered so it was a win-win for everyone. If I had worn him, I likely would have woken him up taking him off to take a shower.

I got my stroller second hand from a baby resale shop for $70. They are normally $115+.

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

samham 11-05-2012 02:41 PM

I bought a sit and stand but really really wanted a ready 2 grow but it wouldn't fit in my car. Sit and stand is ok but we don't plan on buying an infant seat and can't really use sit an stand without one for young baby. For DS who is 3, if he is sleeping, his head is much taller than front seat so he doesn't stay asleep long or his head falls over. His feet also drag on floor. It looks really uncomfortable. I'm so tempted to still buy ready2grow and just use the hubby's truck when we are going places we need stroller.

nonipie 11-05-2012 04:06 PM

We just got the Graco ready to grow the single one and I actually really like it. I do BW most of the time but there are situations when I just need a stroller. The baby goes in the front in the bucket(Graco 35) and the 2.5 year old and the 6 year old trade off in the back. Now my 6 year old is giant (48 lbs but tall) and he fits sitting or standing on the back and it is still easy to push. The 2 year old can easily hop on and off and it keeps her happy. On longer outings I can wear the baby, the toddler goes in the front seat and the 6 year old walks but if he gets tired he can sit on the back. Well worth it for the flexibility for us.

luvsviola 11-05-2012 04:33 PM

I sparkley heart love my ready 2 grow. It pushes nicer than the rest. I have a Mountain Buggy double all-terrain long days/walks and use the Graco for quick in and outs.

Nerissa 11-06-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samham (Post 15899390)
I bought a sit and stand but really really wanted a ready 2 grow but it wouldn't fit in my car. Sit and stand is ok but we don't plan on buying an infant seat and can't really use sit an stand without one for young baby. For DS who is 3, if he is sleeping, his head is much taller than front seat so he doesn't stay asleep long or his head falls over. His feet also drag on floor. It looks really uncomfortable. I'm so tempted to still buy ready2grow and just use the hubby's truck when we are going places we need stroller.

If you take off the sun shades and the front tray it isnt ant longer than a single. I had my ready to grow and single chico side by side in the garage today.

luvsviola 11-06-2012 07:14 AM

Yup--we take the sunshades off just to keep them from getting messed up, and took the tray off, and it fit in my single travel bag for on the airplane.

Bellaroo 11-06-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 15898070)
LO#2 is due in April, DS turns 3 in August. We definitely want a double stroller. We are stroller people, LOL, please, no flames.

DS likes riding in the stroller around places like the mall, etc He plays in the play area, then we wander (DH works nights, so we spend lots of afternoons out and about). At places like the zoo, etc, he usually walks but will ride on occasion too.

So all that said, we definitely want a double stroller. The city mini's look nice and I know they are so worth it, but it's just not likely in the budget and I don't want to spend that much since he probably won't use the double past that first year with newbie. Also, to use with the bucket seat we have to buy attachments, then the tray that holds drinks, etc. It just really adds up.

So we were looking at the graco ready 2 grow double stroller which can hold two seats or one seat and one sit and stand type bench. Problem is the seats only hold up to 40 lbs. DH is 6'3" and a big guy and DS at 2 yrs 3 mo is already almost 33 lbs (just weighed at dr today at an appt). So I doubt that will work long with the two seats.

So my question is this - we already have a good (non expired stored inside) graco snug ride 35 seat that we are going to be using for LO#2. The appealing aspect of the graco sit and stand is that the carseat just snaps right in (according to the BRU employee).

How do the bucket seats work with other sit and stands? The summer will probably contains lots of zoo, museum, etc trips so a bucket seat is a must and it must work with the stroller. Help, suggestions? I'm totally open minded hear. No particular budget, but it'd be nice to stay under a few hundred. I see lots of used sit and stands going to about $50 at places like OUAC and CL, mommy FB groups, etc, but I don't know what works with what seat. I would really appreciate any helpful tips on stroller! Thank you so much!:goodvibes:

The front seat of the Ready2Grow goes up to 50lbs. My 2 yr old is 35lbs so that was a huge factor in our decision to buy the stroller.