Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DS broke my stovetop :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460802)

Jen's_4 11-05-2012 10:26 AM

DS broke my stovetop :(

We just got a new glass top stove two months ago when our old one died. This morning DS dropped a drinking glass on it and it broke. :cry:

I know it was totally accidental, no harm intended, just one of those things that happens. So I was thinking DH and I would have it replaced and life goes on. Then I thought...If he broke a window with a ball or something, I would have him pay for it even though it was accidental. But more of me says, he's only 6, and it was an accident, it could have just as easily been me that dropped the glass. He already feels terrible about it. WWYD?

qsefthuko 11-05-2012 10:35 AM

Re: DS broke my stovetop :(

He is only six and it was an accident. I wouldn't make my kid pay for it. Now if he was throwing things and broke something that would be different.

tygr2410 11-05-2012 10:37 AM

I would see if it was under warranty

and I would not ask a 6yo to pay for a stove top he accidentally dropped a glass on....my 6yo would not be able to reach a glass in a cabinet on top of a stove....how did he even have a glass up high enough to drop and break a glass stove top?

Steph Ed 11-05-2012 10:49 AM

Yeah, he feels badly, and it was an accident. I think he has already learned his lesson.

Mama*Kim 11-05-2012 10:57 AM

At 6, I wouldn't expect a kid to pay for any accidental breakage. A little too young, IMO. As they get older, I'd expect them to pitch in or pay for things broken during off limits activities like throwing a ball in the house, but not for an honest accident that anyone could have done.

JoeysMomma 11-05-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
At 6, I wouldn't expect a kid to pay for any accidental breakage. A little too young, IMO. As they get older, I'd expect them to pitch in or pay for things broken during off limits activities like throwing a ball in the house, but not for an honest accident that anyone could have done.

I agree.

babycat42 11-05-2012 11:30 AM

I have a glass cook top and I drop things on it all the time and things have broken on it but it still looks brand new.

my2sweets 11-05-2012 11:35 AM

To genuinely feel sorry over a true accident is punishment enough I think. If he didnt care or is breaking something every wk then that would be a different story.

mibarra 11-05-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygr2410
I would see if it was under warranty

and I would not ask a 6yo to pay for a stove top he accidentally dropped a glass on....

I agree. Not even sure I would ask an older child. I mean, throwing a ball at the house, you have a reasonable expectation of damaging something. But holding a glass in the kitchen? Freak accident unless they were doing something weird, KWIM? ;)

EmilytheStrange 11-05-2012 11:50 AM

I would let it go. If it was something intentional, I would fine a consequence. But that's really a valid accident.