Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   I need help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460862)

whitneywalters 11-05-2012 01:07 PM

I need help

Please help me figure out what I need to try to get my son to read. I am struggling, he is struggling and every time I think we are getting somewhere, it turns out we are not.

I have already tried -
teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons
level one readers

kannondicarpo 11-05-2012 01:09 PM

Re: I need help

We use Hooked on Phonics mixed up with a few sight words a week. After a few other trial and error programs it's going REALLY well. My little guy would much rather work on math all.day.long than read but now he is really starting to enjoy being able to sound things out.

whitneywalters 11-05-2012 01:13 PM

That is Alex, he loves math and hates reading. He gets mad, cries and over all will not try. I don't know what to do.

Jen's_4 11-05-2012 01:20 PM

We're in the same boat with my DS. In case you haven't already, I would get him an eye exam. Turned out that DS needed glasses. But he is still struggling, and I really think he is dyslexic. Is there any specific issues your son is having? It may not be that he is not wanting to try, but just that he really doesn't understand it. I would try to see if something else is going on before worrying about switching programs. We've tried HOP and MFW and it's still not going so well for us. I am planning on calling his ped today to see about what we need to do as far as possible dyslexia.

maryspromise 11-05-2012 01:22 PM

I wouldn't sweat it. Just read to him a lot, and he will pick it up in his own time. Let him choose some of the books (even if you've read them a thousand times), enjoy the stories, and try to forget the pressure of making him read by a certain point. Kids who learn later often excel in reading comprehension.

If you really want to try a new program, I highly recommend PAL Reading and Writing from Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW: excellenceinwriting dot com).

Blessings! :)

abunchoflemons 11-05-2012 01:24 PM

I would read & read book til my oldest could help me & still do but now my oldest can sound out so I play stupid more when we have time to read.fun books he/she interested in helps.

whitneywalters 11-05-2012 01:25 PM

Already did the eye exam, he needed glasses.

I thought maybe he was dyslexic also but he is starting to outgrow some of what he was doing ( like writing things backwards, writing from right to left instead of left to write, starting from the bottom when wring instead of the top ). He seems to forget what he learns ( only when reading ), like we were reading **** and Jane books, he would read the whole thing really well for a week so I started another book, he would know some of the words in the new book but others that I thought he knew, he wouldn't. He gets mad when I ask him to sound something out, we went through the whole alphabet today and I asked him what every letter sound was, he did it fine but then when reading he could not tell me what sound H made.

whitneywalters 11-05-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryspromise (Post 15899289)
I wouldn't sweat it. Just read to him a lot, and he will pick it up in his own time. Let him choose some of the books (even if you've read them a thousand times), enjoy the stories, and try to forget the pressure of making him read by a certain point. Kids who learn later often excel in reading comprehension.

If you really want to try a new program, I highly recommend PAL Reading and Writing from Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW: excellenceinwriting dot com).

Blessings! :)

We do read a lot. He has some Mickey mouse books that he loves and read them over and over and over lol.

He also loves animal science, we read animal books all the time. He retains the knowledge about the animals fine but doesn't recognize words.

whitneywalters 11-05-2012 01:29 PM

I also let him play reading games online and he seems to do okay with those.

firstlynn 11-05-2012 01:41 PM

I tried the books you listed & didn't get anywhere with DS1. Honestly, the 100 easy lessons book had good reviews, but even I can't stick with it enough to start teaching him. I really like the basic phonic books they have here: http://early-reading.com and progressivephonics.com (free site). Keegan (4.5) can now read the basic words and is trying to 'sound' the other words.