Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dissolving medicine in... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460869)

kaia.aline 11-05-2012 01:22 PM

Dissolving medicine in...

My 3 month old is starting a new medicine that needs to be dissolved in 1-2oz of liquid plus they want her to take a probiotic that also needs to be dissolved in liquid. The dr said I could use either pumped milk or water. What would you pick? Pumping is hard and a pain so I'd rather do water but I'm not sure if I really wanting her drinking up to 4oz of water a day either. We had been giving her a different med that had to be mixed with water but it was only 1ml per dose so this is considerably more.

Miss squish 11-05-2012 01:37 PM

Can the medicine and probiotic be mixed together in the same 1-2 oz?
If not You could pump enough to give the medicine and then give the probiotic in water, or the other way around.
I hate pumping so when ds was on probiotics I pumped every other morning and divided it for two days. Still a pain but not as bad. He wouldn't drink water so it was the only way to get him to take it.

FindingMercy 11-05-2012 01:49 PM

Re: Dissolving medicine in...

If it's a powdered probiotic, you can just dip a wet finger in it and then have them suck it off your finger and avoid at least that portion of the water.

mibarra 11-05-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss squish (Post 15899363)
Can the medicine and probiotic be mixed together in the same 1-2 oz?
If not You could pump enough to give the medicine and then give the probiotic in water, or the other way around.
I hate pumping so when ds was on probiotics I pumped every other morning and divided it for two days. Still a pain but not as bad. He wouldn't drink water so it was the only way to get him to take it.

I like this. :)

canadianbakers 11-05-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 15899423)
If it's a powdered probiotic, you can just dip a wet finger in it and then have them suck it off your finger and avoid at least that portion of the water.

Not sure about the meds - I'd probably try pumping and if it didn't work out I'd just use water - but :yeahthat: for the probiotic.

trying4more 11-05-2012 07:50 PM

My son was on probiotics and I just dipped my nipple into the powder before he nursed.

luvsviola 11-05-2012 08:08 PM

I'd do it in BM if you can so baby is more likely to actually take it. Meds in water might be icky.

I don't know if you need that much water though. DS did Prevaid (if that is it) and we just dumped the pill in a 10 mL syringe with about 7 mL of water in it, shook it, and pumped it on in.

kaia.aline 11-05-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
I'd do it in BM if you can so baby is more likely to actually take it. Meds in water might be icky.

I don't know if you need that much water though. DS did Prevaid (if that is it) and we just dumped the pill in a 10 mL syringe with about 7 mL of water in it, shook it, and pumped it on in.

When we were giving her Prevacid it was just 2ml of water but we are switching her to nexxium which is a powder pack and the dr said to put it in 1-2oz of liquid.

I will try wetting my finger for the powder probiotics like pp suggested but until I get better at pumping I guess I'll have to use water, I just pumped for tomorrow's meds but was only able to get 1/2 oz which isn't going to cut it :(