Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Any unbiased opinions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460893)

hmurrant 11-05-2012 02:06 PM

Any unbiased opinions?

My son (6) is singing the national anthem with his school choir at an OHL game (Ontario Hockey League) on Friday. The game doesn’t start until 7:30 pm. It is his dad’s weekend, and he generally goes to his dad’s Friday night (we meet halfway between houses at about 7 – ie. after we are both done work). It is over two hours from our house to his dad’s. I told his dad we could meet Saturday morning instead, but he wants to come down and watch the game, then take ds up to his house afterwards (the game ends at about 10), and have him just “sleep in the car.” I think, especially with the time change, this is going to equal ds not getting anything close to a good night’s sleep. (He already generally gets back from his dad’s quiet tired and “under-rested”) I wasn’t even planning on him staying the whole game – just sing, watch the first period, then go home to bed.

So I am looking for any unbiased/objective opinions. Am I right to stick to my guns and “pull rank” to make sure ds gets enough sleep? Or am I being overly stubborn and unreasonable, and I should just let ds go to his dad that night?

I know, small fish in the grand scheme of things, but my brain is at an impasse with itself debating whether it’s “no big deal, what’s one night of no sleep”, or “what’s a few hours to let him get some good sleep, before going up to his dad’s?” Maybe it will be more obvious to someone who hasn’t been running in circles with it for hours?

mama2jack 11-05-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Any unbiased opinions?

I would let him go. He will get back on track. If dad is fairly reasonable you could probably get him to agree on him heading home early but it not it should be some good father son time.

danielle 11-05-2012 02:14 PM

I'd just let him go with his dad. It doesn't seem like the right hill to die on. Make a deal that if he starts to get tired during the game that dad will use good judgment and take him home.

*KaiMom* 11-05-2012 02:15 PM

It's one night; I'd save the "pulling ranks" for something else. Also, if this is court ordered visitation there isn't much you can do about it anyway; it's his dad decision when he goes to bed while he's at his house.

Nickel+3 11-05-2012 02:20 PM

Let him go. It sounds like a fun time.

Ashleah143 11-05-2012 02:30 PM

I would let him go it sounds like your ds dad is trying to make it "special" for your ds by coming out to watch and stay at the game with him.

luv2bAmomma 11-05-2012 02:42 PM

i'm with the other mama's let him go! :)

misskira 11-05-2012 02:49 PM

I wouldn't say anything more. It's nice that dad is trying to participate in something special for ds.

Mom2Connor 11-05-2012 02:51 PM

I would absolutely let him go. It's not the end of the world not getting a good nights sleep every single night, and dad is the one who is going to deal with it the next day anyway.

It sounds like a really fun, memorable, experience and I think it's awesome that dad wants to come down to watch him sing and stay for the game. I wouldn't even dream of not letting him stay and watch the game, so might as well let him go with dad and sleep on the way there.

madebymommy 11-05-2012 02:54 PM

I would let him go, its not a school night so one night with a little less sleep won't hurt!