Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WWYD-possible cat bite? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461071)

happysmileylady 11-06-2012 06:51 AM

WWYD-possible cat bite?

We have 3 cats. Two are smart and pretty much avoid the kids at all costs. The third however apparently likes torture. It doesn't matter what the 4 year old does to her she keeps coming back to her. :banghead:

Now don't get me wrong, I do NOT allow my child to torture the cat. Every time we catch her messing with the cat, chasing the cat, coming near the cat even, we impose consequences. But it's having NO effect, because 2 hours later, she's back at it. Natural consequences of the cat scratching her have had no effect either. Again, when we find out she's messing with the cat we punish her but there are times that we don't know she is messing with her and she has gotten scratched.

Well, yesterday, I was putting laundry in the machine, and apparently the cat wandered into the front room with the 4 yr old. All I heard was the cat meow and hiss, then Rae Rae started crying. She came to me, I looked at her hand saw a couple of scratches, sat her in the corner and told her if she would quit messing with the cat, she wouldn't get scratched.

Well this morning, she started to chase the cat, I took her hand to stop her and when I looked at it I noticed that it seemed a little red. I looked closer and it looks like maybe instead of a scratch, the cat might have actually bit her for the first time.

And it appears that it might be getting infected.

I hate to go to the doc over a little cat bit...but on the other hand, I have been bit by a cat before and my thumb swelled up twice it's size in a very short time and ended up in the ER getting some heavy duty antibiotics. So I know cat bites can be no joke.

Would you call the doc, or wait and see?

canadianbakers 11-06-2012 06:56 AM

Re: WWYD-possible cat bite?

We treat cat scratches and bites ("good" ones when it's really broken the skin, not just surface stuff) with peroxide and then polysporin and a bandaid. Never had any troubles with infection doing that.
I'd try that and see how it looks through the day. If there's no improvement, or especially if it's looking worse, get it checked out. Heck, I'm sure the Dr has seen sillier stuff!

thoennes6 11-06-2012 09:52 AM

Cat bites can get bad quickly. I would say antibiotic ointment but keep a close eye on it. If it starts to look worse take her in.

keen1981 11-06-2012 09:55 AM

Cat bites can infect faster than dog bites- I'd treat topically and watch closely. Are your cats up to date on everything?

happysmileylady 11-06-2012 12:22 PM

Quick update, I went ahead and called the doc and brought her in. I had a well child visit scheduled for her and the baby both for Thursday, so we just moved them up to today and got it all knocked out today.

Yes, it is infected and yes it did need antibiotics so I am glad we did go.

The reason I didn't realize that the cat had bitten her is because the scratch was on the top of her hand, but there's a puncture wound bite mark right in the center of the first and middle finger, right between where the two join the palm of her hand. And the infection was spreading (though slowly) down into her hand. My biggest worry and probably a bit paranoid, was that if it spread too much into her hand, it might start to damage the nerves in her hand. It was just in that right awkward spot. The swelling was going down in between the two knuckles. Didn't seem to hurt her though.

Now I just have to watch for any reaction to the antibiotics, in her 4 years, we haven't ever had to give her antibiotics lol.

Yeah, the cats are all up to date on everything and the one in particular that bit her is indoors 99% of the time anyway. She occasionally pulls a houdini act and darts out the door for a bit, but, like I said, she's all up to date on everything.

dagmomma 11-06-2012 01:26 PM

Another cat bites are worse then dog bites bc they are like a small puncture that usually does not bleed so the infection stays inside of the skin. Take her to the Dr.

Just read your update. I am glad yo ugot it all taken care off.

Mom2Connor 11-06-2012 04:08 PM

Glad you took her in. I read the first post and was going to recommend it. Cat bites are just nasty to deal with because they are so narrow and deep. It's an infection or abscess waiting to happen.