Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In June (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   When to tell the kids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461195)

2sweetboys 11-06-2012 12:45 PM

When to tell the kids?

DH and I are struggling with when to tell our kids that a baby is coming. I say we should wait as long as possible so it's not such a long wait for them, but DH says I need to tell them soon so they understand why I don't feel good.

Our DD (4) keeps asking if I'm still sick because of how nauseous I am. I had the flu a few weeks ago and I think they all think I'm still sick from that.

I can't cook, I barely eat actual meals, and I'm tired/cranky most of the time. I know they are all old enough to know that something's not right, but I'm just not sure that telling them now is a good idea.

What would you do?

MyM&W 11-06-2012 01:58 PM

I already told our kids. I told them before anyone else lol

SpartyGuard 11-06-2012 02:06 PM

Re: When to tell the kids?

My 4yo is catching on to the fact that I'm not feeling well. She's been quite sweet about it and tries to help me. She even asked me why I still don't feel good this morning.

We're having a dating u/s next week and I'm thinking we'll tell her at that point when we have a picture we can show her.

gingerpeachee 11-06-2012 04:03 PM

Little G said, "Mommy why are you always so sick?" last week. And I said, "because Mommy is spending all her extra energy growing a baby right now."
"There is a baby in your tummy?"
"Yup, but its not coming out until after Christmas and after Easter"
"Can I call Grama on the telephone?"

Telephone convo-
"Grama, grama mommy has a baby growing in her tummy and its not coming out until after Christmas and after Easter and I think its a sister!"

He hasn't really brought it up since. LOL

kanga1622 11-06-2012 05:05 PM

DS is 2.5 but has obviously noticed a change in our routines. He keeps asking me "what the matter is" and then telling me "you're okay mama."

We have asked him if he would like a little brother or sister but he's oblivious. We don't really want him to know until we are ready to announce because he tends to repeat the strangest things to random people.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Leaner 11-07-2012 08:37 AM

I haven;t told mine yet, they are 11, 7 and 19 months. But it is because daddy wants to wait until after our u/s next week. It is really hard because I do feel sick all of the time.

bluecandi 11-08-2012 12:47 PM

My girls are 2 and 4. My odd keeps saying Mama your belly is so big and round and I think theres a baby brother in your tummy!!

Lol. I dont want to tell them till Im ready to announce because odd repeats EVERYTHING, to anybody within earshot. :S

tricia17lee 11-08-2012 06:59 PM

We're telling DD tomorrow when we hear the heartbeat. I'm so excited!! She's almost 3 an wants to be a big sister very badly. We're going to try to record her reaction in case it's cute or big.

rockchikcassie 11-08-2012 07:27 PM

We told the almost 5 year old the same night we found out. He's super excited just like he was with the last baby. He says "her" name should be Tuna. The 18 month old doesn't have a clue, but I don't think he'll understand yet. We don't not say anything in front of him or anything like that, we just don't talk about it with him since he isn't really talking yet. He's going to have a very hard time with the new baby when he/she gets here tho.

SpartyGuard 11-09-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia17lee (Post 15912795)
We're telling DD tomorrow when we hear the heartbeat. I'm so excited!! She's almost 3 an wants to be a big sister very badly. We're going to try to record her reaction in case it's cute or big.

I want to record DD too. I have no idea how she'll react but I think she'll be excited!