Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   How long to "froggy" a newborn? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461562)

HeatherlovesCDs 11-07-2012 05:26 PM

How long to "froggy" a newborn?

I'm currently wearing my almost 4wk old in an MT. He'll be 4wks on Friday. It seems crazy to me that I'm asking this, but how long am I supposed to wear him froggy style? It was working fine and then all the sudden yesterday and today, he doesn't really want to froggy his legs when I put him in. So, it's a bit of a struggle. It's worse today. His feet are pushing down and slipping under the bottom belt portion of the MT. I'm having a hard time describing what he is doing. His feet aren't coming out from the bottom, but they almost are because he is pushing them downward. Hopefully, that makes sense. Now, tonight, he is even pushing up with them. It's making me uncomfortable, both from a physical standpoint and a safety one. Tonight, I'm wearing him out of desperation because I HAD to put my 2.5 year olds to bed and the baby won't stop crying. Otherwise, I wouldn't even wear him while he is doing this. I am holding onto him when he pushes. He isn't unsafe.

Anyway, so I feel like froggy'ing his legs isn't going to work much longer....like even tomorrow. :giggle: I wear him at least once a day around the house, usually more, and anytime we are out. Help.....

What are my options for a baby this young?

Oh, and he is a big baby. He was 10lb on Monday at the pediatrician. I've always had tiny, not on the chart babies. He is my first out of 6 to be on the chart and he's in the 74th percent for weight! I feel like I'm in uncharted waters. :giggle2:

Mercy24 11-07-2012 08:01 PM

Re: How long to "froggy" a newborn?

The recommendations have changed and they no longer recommend froggying babies at all. Make sure the seat doesn't spread his legs too far.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-07-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercy24 (Post 15909174)
The recommendations have changed and they no longer recommend froggying babies at all. Make sure the seat doesn't spread his legs too far.

Really? I had no idea. :blush: He's only 2.5 years younger than my last babies. I wonder when the recommendation changed. I'm glad I asked this then.

The seat should be fine because it's made more narrow, but I haven't tried it with him yet.

So, do people not use MT's with newborns anymore? I know my other babies wouldn't be able to use one with their legs spread at this age. They were much smaller than he is. Out of curiosity, what is the reason it's not recommended anymore?

kannondicarpo 11-07-2012 09:16 PM

First: I CANNOT believe your LO is 4 weeks already. I was reading this and then saw it was you and almost choked. My little guy is going to be 2 weeks tomorrow. It's SO unfair!!!!!

Second: I had NO idea the recommendation changed either. I've been froggy-ing Zakary in the Ergo, he's not a small baby either (9lb8oz yesterday), but there's no way I could spread his legs that far. I do wear him in the RS too but I still froggy him in the kangaroo carry. I'm not sure how to wear a newborn (other than a wrap) without froggy-ing their legs.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-07-2012 09:37 PM

Shannon - First, :giggle: You are right. It's not fair. But, at least yours is out too now. :) Second, I don't have a wrap...well, I do, but I was planning to return it. LOL. I got a Moby from Target, but I've never opened it. Maybe I should try it out. I can't nurse in my MT with a NB which is the reason for buying the Moby. I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to nurse in it either though. Hence, taking it back. Ha, ha!! But, the MT I have is specifically made with a more narrow seat to accommodate babies who are smaller. I'll have to try it tomorrow and see. I have an Ergo too. I haven't used that with him yet. The seat on it is wider. I'll have to investigate tomorrow. :giggle:

Liadan23 11-08-2012 03:17 PM

my understanding is, you CAN froggy if you want to, if the baby is comfy, and you make sure the weight is on his butt and not his feet. but you no longer HAVE to froggy. i didn't froggy either of my babies and wore them in a ringsling from birth. i started wearing dd in our bbII around 4 weeks, and i didn't froggy her then either (although i had the infant insert and i think i needed it). i tried to froggy both times, but they both hated it! honestly, i was probably doing it wrong. but legs out just worked better for us. i would do whatever you feel is most comfortable for you and the baby :)

Mercy24 11-10-2012 11:01 PM

Sorry for the super short answer before, I was in a hurry. I have no idea why the recommendations changed or when for that matter. I do know it was recent cause 11 months ago I was still told to froggy. A lot of people don't recommend using mts with newbies unless they have a way to make the seat smaller. Liadan is right, you just want the weight to be on their bum instead of their feet.

starbeam 11-11-2012 01:05 AM

i started wearing my son in a moby with his legs spread and sticking out (chest to chest style) around 4 weeks old, and he's pretty little even. but, i still froggied him in the ergo until like 5 1/2 months. i think it depends on the width of the seat. i would use your moby, because then you can make sure the seat is just spread from his knee to knee, not to narrow so he's perched on his crotch, and not too wide either. after you wrap him, just check again to make sure the seat is spread from knee to knee, put your hands under his knees and lift up while you bounce a bit, to make sure he's sitting on his butt and sunk down into his seat pretty well. i bet he'll be comfy. just stick with the moby til he's big enough to be legs out in your mei tai.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-11-2012 02:35 PM

Thanks! I wore him with his legs out in the MT a couple of times now. He is comfy that way and it works well with where his legs are in the seat. I just scrunch the seat just a little and it's fine since the seat on my MT is more narrow anyway. So, we'll just stick with that. I won't worry about trying to nurse him in a carrier right now. I'm battling yeast/thrush and sore nips anyway. So, I prefer to make 100% sure his latch is as it should be and not try anything that might put any added stress on the girls. :giggle2:

Thanks for your help everyone!

sambelina 11-14-2012 12:45 PM

I think the new recommendation is legs out from birth or just make sure no pressure is on the legs and feet. My ds likes to be froggied. He's 4 weeks (tomorrow. YIkes!) I have seen other mamas roll up a receiving blanket and use it under the bum for more support. Maybe if you did that he wouldn't be able to push as much? I don't know. I just feel weird stretching little babies out at this point. But, if that's what he wants then I guess you have to honor that.