Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   C-section ?s (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461668)

kileysmama 11-08-2012 01:15 AM

C-section ?s

So I am due with my 3rd LO in February. Due to some complications with DD2 (brain hemmorhage which led to seizures/stroke) my husband and I were worked up for bleeding issues/disorders etc. Turns out that while they do not believe that it caused my daugther hemmorhage, we are at risk for having a baby that has neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Because of this our doctor feels that a C-section this time around is best. I'm not crazy about the idea, but am accepting of the fact that it truly is best for baby. I'm still freaking out about it though, and have a TON of questions.
1) How soon before I can hold my baby?
2) How does the csxn affect breastfeeding? How soon can I breastfeed? I've dealt with oversupply with my other two, but I've heard planned csxns often struggle with supply?
3)With my vaginal births I never took anything other than motrin...obviously I'll likely be needing something stronger this time around. How has this affected your LOs when breastfeeding?
4)How soon before usually before you're in a postpartum room typically?
5)I desperately want to be able to see my other 2 girls that afternoon/evening. They are 4 and DD2 will be 21 months when I have this LO...I don't want to traumatize them either...will it be appropriate for them to visit?
6)I'm assuming I'll need someone with me the first night especially if I want to keep baby with me, but I prefer DH to go home with the others kiddos to try and keep things as normal as possible. Will I need someone after the first night with minimal help from the nurses or would I even be able to keep baby with me?
7)How awful is it going home...especially with older kiddos (DD1 is 4 and fairly independent, but super active...and sassy. DD2 again will be 21 mos., and she's super attached to me now). I've told DH that he needs to take at least 2 weeks off of work. Will that be enough? Getting others to help is kind of a pain b/c my MIL is super sweet, but drives me nuts so she's only helpful in small doses, my mom usually watches my sister's kids (and not really well) so I end up with 4 kids tearing my house apart instead of just my own 2, and most of my close friends also have kids so I really don't want to burden them...plus again some of them it ends up being more like a circus than any help with the addition of their kids.

Lastly, what kind of things will I need/make thigns easier in the hospital and at home. Can anyone reccomend an abdominal binder? If you've used one did it seem to help?

Ughh thinking about this is giving me anxiety.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-08-2012 01:42 AM

((Hugs))

I'm subbing to your post so I can come back and post tomorrow. :-) I had an unplanned CS with my first kiddo, a vbac with my second but I was prepared for a CS if we needed one and I've put tons of thought into planning it all out. :-)

When are you due?

kileysmama 11-08-2012 01:46 AM

Re: C-section ?s

I'm due Feb. 23rd so I have time, just super freaked out about it. I suppose that's not abnormal lol.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-08-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kileysmama
I'm due Feb. 23rd so I have time, just super freaked out about it. I suppose that's not abnormal lol.

Totally normal :-)
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! I bet with the right answers to your questions, and some tools and a plan of action, those anxieties can be redirected into a positive energy. They probably won't completely disappear, but having a plan definitely helps! :-)

2+2macht4 11-08-2012 02:10 AM

I could hold both my boys immediatly after birth. DS1 was full anesthesia and I held him as soon as I woke up. DS2 was spinal and I held him in the Op as the operation was still ongoing he was with me from the time he was delivered.

2) How does the csxn affect breastfeeding? How soon can I breastfeed? I've dealt with oversupply with my other two, but I've heard planned csxns often struggle with supply?

DS1 had issues but I did not have much pro breastfeeding support and we had thrush from antibiotics, it is a risk but treatable and any good lactation consultant and doc would catch it early. Ds2 was nursing as soon as I was in the recovery room and has no issues at all. Each baby is different.

3)With my vaginal births I never took anything other than motrin...obviously I'll likely be needing something stronger this time around. How has this affected your LOs when breastfeeding?

If I may be frank you wont need anything more though you may want more:giggle: In Europe they are very different with pain meds. I got one dose narcotic and from day one I was high doses of ibuprofen and paracetemol which was slowly lowered. Today I am 10 days post op and have notyet taken any ibuprofen its my first day that I made it this far. That said there are plenty of stronger pain meds you can safely take while breastfeeding, but you can also go the ibuprofen route, I wont lie it is rough especially the first days, but each day gets better. I was standing the same day as my op and walking the next, I was not thrilled about it, but it was doable.

A few hours in recovery then I was in my own room, maybe 2 hours tops.

5)I desperately want to be able to see my other 2 girls that afternoon/evening. They are 4 and DD2 will be 21 months when I have this LO...I don't want to traumatize them either...will it be appropriate for them to visit?

My 22 month old came to meet his brother just a few hours after I was putr into my own room and I even nursed him, just carefully, and I did not try to pick him up I had him brought to me to sit next to me and explained he had to be careful, he did really well.

6)I'm assuming I'll need someone with me the first night especially if I want to keep baby with me, but I prefer DH to go home with the others kiddos to try and keep things as normal as possible. Will I need someone after the first night with minimal help from the nurses or would I even be able to keep baby with me?

I am in europe which is different but rooming in is the norm. I could hav been alone and had the nurses do changes and life him up and down but I did not want that so we paid extra so my mom could stay, I believe in the us family can stay for free? In germany we have to pay for a private room its not covered by insurance. I had my mom the first 2 nights and it was a huge help, but if not the nurses will help with everything.

7)How awful is it going home...especially with older kiddos (DD1 is 4 and fairly independent, but super active...and sassy. DD2 again will be 21 mos., and she's super attached to me now). I've told DH that he needs to take at least 2 weeks off of work. Will that be enough? Getting others to help is kind of a pain b/c my MIL is super sweet, but drives me nuts so she's only helpful in small doses, my mom usually watches my sister's kids (and not really well) so I end up with 4 kids tearing my house apart instead of just my own 2, and most of my close friends also have kids so I really don't want to burden them...plus again some of them it ends up being more like a circus than any help with the addition of their kids.

It is a rough transition especially for the smaller kids, my husband is home 3 weeks and my mom is here 5 from the US. My son is having a very rough time adjusting but it is his first sibling, I dont think my c section makes it any different except the first few nights laying down pain is worse so I needed a lot of help with night and morning care. Otherwise no difference from a normal birth.

Lastly, what kind of things will I need/make thigns easier in the hospital and at home. Can anyone reccomend an abdominal binder? If you've used one did it seem to help?

I have never used an abdominal binder, I think it would be bad over the scar as irritation plus you need fresh air to heal. Important cotton underwear, one that goes over the scar like haines briefs. Also a firm pillow for the first days to hold against your stomach if you laugh, cough, or to help sitting up and down. Also a good quality breastfeeding pillow is a great help.

Not a lot is different, I can wear my son in a moby, I can pick up my soon to be 2 year old. I do not know vaginal birth as both my boys ended c section but the counce back is pretty fast, not as fast as vaginal but also not exteremly long either.

Hope that helps feel free to pm me if you have more questions :)

BeccaSueCongdon 11-08-2012 02:26 AM

This will depend on a few different things;
*how you are doing after the procedure
*how baby is doing
*the protocol for the OR

Basically it's as soon as mom and baby are both stable, and at the discretion of the specific hospital/OR/anesthesiologist.

I've seen some hospitals - in cases where both mom and baby are doing fine - allow mom to have baby places skin to skin over her chest while she's being sewn back up. This would require someone to support baby you won't be able to yet. A doula can assist with this and can even help establish breast contact at this time. This would be at the discretion of the anesthesiologist, as THEY are the one in charge of the OR.

You'll want to ask your provider about your baby's condition and what you might be able to expect immediately after delivery. You can share your preferences with them and discuss their policies and find out when they will bring you and baby together.

The specifics of this would be a good question for your an IBCLC lactation consultant. They can help you craft a plan for establishing breastfeeding. Some moms experience a slight delay in their milk coming in when they have a CS. You can establish BF by getting baby to the breast as soon as you and baby are both stable. The football hold and side lying hold are good bc they keep baby off you incision. If you and baby need to be separated for care, request a pump and pump for 10 minutes on each side every two hours until baby is returned to you and is successfully latching and suckling. You can feed baby the colostrum that you pump.

My LO did seen markedly sleepier when I was on the painkillers. BUT, I came off of them around the time he would have been becoming more alert anyway, so it's really difficult to tell. :-/ Every baby is different. Some moms report their babies being difficult to wake for feedings. If this happens you can strip baby down to skin to skin to stimulate their rooting reflexes, do what you can to wake them, pump if they're just too tired and feed them with a syringe to help them get energy/calories. Everually they'll come out of that fog and in the meantime you can pump to stimulate your supply and get them colostrum, and give them lots of time at the breast even if they're just licking or sleeping, bc that helps stimulate your milk production.

It depends on how you do after the procedure. Once baby is born they can take about an hour to close you up, and then they'll either move you directly to a PP room to monitor you or they'll have you in a recovery room for another hour to ensure you're stable. Other moms may chime in on this with their experiences as well as I'm sure it differs from hospital to hospital.

Once you're in your PP room it should be fine. You and your DH can gauge how you're feeling and you can cover up your catheter and stuff. Also, when you talk to the OB beforehand, talk to him about your desire to see your kids soon after the delivery and ask which pain relief options will keep you the most lucid so you can be mentally present for them. :-). There are certain pain relief options that can impair your cognitive function and make you feel loopy/sleepy and that might be a little scary for your girls as kids are very perceptive to mom and dad being "off" like that.

It depends on the hospital. Call them and ask or ask your doctor what their policy is. Another family member - or even better! - a doula would be awesome for this. Nurses can be somewhat helpful but they usually have several mama/baby pairs to care for and are pretty non-exist at night unless you're in dire need. That was my experience at least.

2 weeks should be an ok start as long as your DH is serious about taking really good care of you and making sure to let you rest and just BE. You'll need about six weeks for your body to be back to pre-surgery condition and ready to return to normal routines. A good gauge is to watch your lochia or postpartum bleeding. It starts out heavy and slowly tapers off. If you start doing too much too soon it will get/stay heavy as a sign that you need to chill out and rest. You can read about cesarean recovery and I'm sure someone will chime in with some good books (if not ill grab a title for you).

Make a list of things that would stress you out as "to do's" when you should be resting. Things like dinner and laundry and housework. Etc. And talk to your DH, MIL and mom about how you'll be needing some help during those first six weeks. Things like freezing meals ahead of time, arrangin to have church family do a meal train (if you do that), plan on disposable utensils for the first two weeks, rent some super fun kids movies for your oldest kids, recruit your helpful friends with kids to have play dates with your kids and plan on I being crazy so the kids can just get their crazy out. See if you can enroll your older kids in an indoor sport with the parks and Rec or something So they'll have a physical outlet.

Hmm... Not sure I can help on the abdominal binder. Hopefully someone else though!

Ughh thinking about this is giving me anxiety.[/QUOTE]

raisingcropsandbabies 11-08-2012 04:29 AM

I held my babies in the recovery room. At our hospital they make you lie down flat for a certain amount of time and so while I got to hold them in there, I didn't get to snuggle/snuggle for a couple more hours.

My milk doesn't come in (it didn't with my vaginal birth either... inadequate supply of milk glands). I do nurse because I make a couple Tbsp. though and I was able to nurse in recovery and find positions that were good. A PP mentioned antibiotics and thursh... My Pediatrician has me start giving my newborns probiotics as soon as they are born to counteract the antibiotics. 3 out of 3 times it has worked!

I took motrin and oxy. Didn't notice much (but read #2). My SIL did notice a difference with her LO though (they were both so sleepy) and so she switched to something that starts with a D (Demerol?) and found that pain med worked a lot better for them.
Stay on top of pain meds though!!! Make a time sheet of what and when you are to take something (you'll go home with: pain med, motrin, colace, and iron... it can get confusing in the middle of the night and everyone is groggy).

I spent an hour in the recovery room for my 3 c-sections.

With my kids (they are all 1 year apart), I buy a couple new toys and a new dvd (like with #3, the older 2 were 2 and 1 yrs old) and they came to see me early evening (the c/s was 8am). I was happy to see them, but told them they could only kiss me. Then we broke out the dvd and let them watch it while one by one they came up and saw the baby. Then on the 3rd day, they came again for another small toy... just so I could watch them play for 30minutes and then they could head out. With #4, they came the day after the c-section (they were new 4, new 3, and 1-1/2) and they got a new toy and watched a cartoon. With the noise level I was ready for them to go back home an hour later! haha.
-So it's really upto you on when you want them to come. I don't think you'll traumatize them... you'll just be in your bed (the railings need to be up so they don't run upto your belly!) and off limits unless Papa lifts them up to kiss you quick.

Different hospitals have different rules about baby with you without someone present (my hospital allowed it). I ALWAYS want someone with me the first night especially though. I don't change diapers that first night and can't lift the baby well. The other nights are optional. I tend to like someone with me at night and them being gone in the day is fine. The baby is allowed to stay with me the entire time, but by the 4th kiddo, I happily let the nurses snuggle with the baby while I caught a couple hours of uninterrupted sleep. I knew at home I wouldn't get that luxury. :) The nurses were always happy to help me when DH or my family wasn't there though.

We work it out so my DH takes off 2 weeks and then a family member comes out (sister usually) for 1 week to help after that. For #4 though, my mom and sister each came out for 1 week (separately) and so I had help for a month (and needed it!). For my first c-section, help for 3 weeks was perfect though. So if you can arrange it, do it! Give up control of what the house looks like or how the laundry is folded or how dishes are washed, and just be grateful for the help (learned that!). It will save your sanity. Also, shut yourself up in your room if you start going crazy and turn on a fan or some soft music.
-Start teaching your toddler how to climb into her carseats, booster chair, crib etc. Start training her that you can only hold if she climbs on your lap from the couch. Start telling her you can only lift her off of chairs (when you are finally allowed to pick her up, it is MUCH easier when she is on a raised surface). All this will make for a better recovery.

I just got one from Babies R Us. Okay, not to freak you out because it's not necessarily painful all the time; but they help because when you stand up without using counterpressure of some kind (a band, a sheet you hold against yourself) it can sometimes feel like your insides are gonna fall out of your incision. It's not true, but it can feel that way! That counterpressure provides relief.

Helpful Hints:
-time sheet for medications
-probiotics for newborns
-teaching toddler more independence with higher surfaces
-buying a stash of small trinkets and toys for post-partum recovery! it's so helpful when the older kids get bored or want you, but you need to rest or are in pain... great for distracting and having them do something fun. (I go to Dollar Tree and find things and then usually get a new dvd or 2 and get one nicer toy each).
-stay ontop of pain meds (it's much easier to stay on top of pain than to have to catch up with existent pain)... you are not a superhero if you stop pain meds early and suffer through it.
-make freezer meals for family prior to baby coming. That way if you are home alone or DH can't cook, you and your family are still eating healthy meals. I did not do this after #2 baby and we ate crap because dh doesn't cook, I felt like crap too (for eating it and feeding it to my first son). With baby #3, I cooked 6 weeks worth of meals and it was wonderful. With #4 I cooked 4 weeks worth. Makes life much easier! Also great when you don't have help anymore, but are still not back to normal yet. At least supper is took care and breakfast too (if you make breakfast meals in the freezer as well).
-WALK, WALK, WALK in the hospital and at home! It doesn't feel good at first, but it will help you heal faster and is supposed to help lessen adhesions! Just short walks, frequently, will even help. walk, walk, walk

Van1300 11-08-2012 05:09 AM

Just wanted to say you have gotten a lot of great advice already! I had a c-section with DD after a long stalled labor and it was fine. I am having a scheduled c-section for repeat with DS tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes!

kileysmama 11-08-2012 06:04 PM

Oh my, thank you so much this is awesome information. I'm sure I'll still be anxious about it, but I'll feel sooo much better if I'm to some extent prepared!! Thank you again!

Prayers to you on your c/s tomorrow!!!!

BeccaSueCongdon 11-08-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van1300
Just wanted to say you have gotten a lot of great advice already! I had a c-section with DD after a long stalled labor and it was fine. I am having a scheduled c-section for repeat with DS tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes!

Looking forward to an update, too! :-)