Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   push position (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461686)

redlichen 11-08-2012 07:36 AM

push position

Question for moms who delivered without an epidural: What position did you use for pushing?

ecocentric 11-08-2012 05:35 PM

Re: push position

I'd thought I would have wanted to squat, but lying on my side is what my body wanted.

Nickel+3 11-08-2012 06:29 PM

Well in all of labor I never laid down once! I pushed while kind of squatting/sitting on my feet in the tub.

Eta I pushed thru 2 contractions, but I'm a notoriously good pusher, natural birth or not.

stevensmom 11-08-2012 06:31 PM

with ds I was on my back (pushed for almost 1.5 hours)

with dd I was on my side and then the dr had me move to my back to help dd come out easier (which actually ended up being easier)...of course with her I only pushed 3 times

lissa~K 11-08-2012 07:05 PM

My last birth was on all fours and I felt the most in control. I've done a modified sit/lay/squat but I can imagine that a true squat position would be best.

JennTheMomma 11-08-2012 08:07 PM

Standing

crazyeyesmcgee 11-08-2012 08:22 PM

DD1- squatting but leaning back against side of tub, almost standing at one point.

DD2-On my knees, leaning forward with arms hanging over the side of the tub.

Palooka 11-08-2012 08:30 PM

lol I love the variety of answers on here. My body desperately wanted to be squatting or on all fours, but babe had a pinched cord and I had to be on my back for his safety. Thankfully my midwives helped me grip my knees and curl my back, which ended up being pretty effective.

It's good to plan and practice, but it's also important to have people on your team who can help position and coach you if (heaven forbid) things conspire to keep you on your back.

IzzysMomma90 11-24-2012 10:16 AM

3 hours of pushing I seemed to try it all but the one I know didn't work for me was on my back. I will never understand why that is the position most hospitals put moms in.

infojunqie 12-03-2012 08:11 PM

Personally, I was semi-reclining in the bath tub--not the best position, but it worked in the situation. I will probably opt for knees and arms over edge of birthing pool this time.

Professionally as a Doula--I have seen the worst tears from a squatting position. It is harder for the provider to give perineal support, compresses, etc when mom is in that position. Just a thought...however, when it is time for baby to come, you end up doing whatever feels best in the moment anyways!

Good luck!