Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   push position (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461687)

redlichen 11-08-2012 06:37 AM

push position

Question for moms who delivered without an epidural: What position did you use for pushing?

songbird516 11-08-2012 06:42 AM

Re: push position

side-lying with my homebirth (in the tub). With my first birth I started pushing at home squatting on the toilet, but was forced to finish up on my back when we got to the hospital. Not happy about that!!

Kiliki 11-08-2012 09:21 AM

first birth, started pushing reclined in the tub, but was forced to move onto my back on the hospital bed. :yuck:

second birth, on knees, then hands and knees.

third birth, sitting flat on my bum. OUCH. Won't do that again! My tailbone hurt for like 3 days.

This time I hope to be up on my knees, or sitting in a squat.

weesej 11-08-2012 10:01 AM

Lots of them! I will list those without pain meds:

#2 Squatting on the bed
#3 Squatting in birth tub - With an extended leg...actually got and have a recurring pain stemming form this birth
#4 Flat on back in bed
#5 Semi-Reclining
#6 Squatting on bathroom floor
#7 Semi-Reclining

EmilyA874 11-08-2012 01:37 PM

Hands and knees was my preferred position with DD and I think it will be the same this time too.

KaleidoscopeEyes 11-08-2012 01:41 PM

i was on my knees when i pushed with both DD's (homebirth) while i labored i found also that even laying on my back in the water was more painful then leaning over the side of the birth tub

bigmamakelsey 11-08-2012 01:43 PM

I had DS1 semi sitting and it was great, about 10-15 mins of pushing and he was out. I had DS2 on a birthing stool completely upright and it was almost too much - my water was artificially ruptured at 10cm and he came out in like 20 seconds flat. It was the most intense thing ever! I felt like I was tearing really badly because I couldn't control my body to stop the pushing, but luckily I only had a few skid marks that didn't need stitches. I'd say just do whatever feels good in the moment. I learned that if you plan in labor where you want to be and in what position, it'll most likely be the opposite :giggle:

knodceo 11-08-2012 01:46 PM

Squatted both times. No other position felt comfortable for me

NappyChappy 11-08-2012 03:36 PM

Squatting on a birthstool in my bathroom. Was definitely the most comfortable. I am going to try all fours for this baby and kneeling on one knee so I can grab my LO.

EmilytheStrange 11-08-2012 03:41 PM

My doula asked for my preference and I have no clue so I said 'whatever feels instinctual'. It's good to know that woman have different instincts about these things :)