Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   push position (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461688)

redlichen 11-08-2012 06:37 AM

push position

Question for moms who delivered without an epidural: What position did you use for pushing?

kushie tushie 11-08-2012 06:44 AM

With DS I was in a semi reclined sitting position for delivery but I pushed in every position.
DD I was laying on my side.
Both kids presented facing my left leg with a hand on their face. So needless to say the didnt present in the best positions.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

abunchoflemons 11-08-2012 06:48 AM

Re: push position

I had epi but heard squatting, on hands & knees/side pushing.

Nerissa 11-08-2012 07:09 AM

Reclined sitting position for all three. I only pushed about 3 or 4 times with each one . If it had taken more effort or longer pushing it might have made a difference. No epi or drugs, Pitocin with the first and third, nothing with the 2nd.

keen1981 11-08-2012 07:22 AM

My ds#1 was with ep. He ruined me. Lol.

Ds#2 was in water, I was 'sitting' but my bum was elevated off the floor of the tub.

pharmgirl13 11-08-2012 07:23 AM

Reclined sitting position in a birth pool.

mommaagain 11-08-2012 07:43 AM

On my left side. If felt right at the time.

steph410 11-08-2012 07:48 AM

I'm curious about this as well. I've personally had two natural births (without epidurals). This is how they went:

The first one I was standing up, but leaning over the bed with my hands supporting me. My body sort of started to push on its own. At the very end I got in a semi-reclined position in the bed and the pushing stage went super quick.

The second one I think I was not quite ready to start pushing yet- my doctor checked me and said I was 9cm with a lip and I could push a little if I wanted to.
I was so tired of contractions, etc that I got in a semi-reclined position in the bed, but pushing didn't go as well. It took longer and my baby was even stuck at the shoulders momentarily. I really wish I would have remained standing or some other upright position for longer instead up getting up on the bed.

this next time around I want to be more patient and not get in the semi-reclined position unless necessary.

cynhilly 11-08-2012 07:50 AM

I pushed reclined seated I guess. I had heard so much about how squatting is so much and gravity helps, and you should definitely do it. But then when I tried to push that way, it was way harder than leaning back, holding my thighs, and pushing that way. Good luck!

keen1981 11-08-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph410
I'm curious about this as well. I've personally had two natural births (without epidurals). This is how they went:

The first one I was standing up, but leaning over the bed with my hands supporting me. My body sort of started to push on its own. At the very end I got in a semi-reclined position in the bed and the pushing stage went super quick.

The second one I think I was not quite ready to start pushing yet- my doctor checked me and said I was 9cm with a lip and I could push a little if I wanted to.
I was so tired of contractions, etc that I got in a semi-reclined position in the bed, but pushing didn't go as well. It took longer and my baby was even stuck at the shoulders momentarily. I really wish I would have remained standing or some other upright position for longer instead up getting up on the bed.

this next time around I want to be more patient and not get in the semi-reclined position unless necessary.

And next time wait for that urge instead of the dr telling u to push. I found that urge unmistakable. It's really when my body is completely ready.