Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Detailed and thorough kindergarten curriculum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461738)

nursenmom 11-08-2012 10:31 AM

Detailed and thorough kindergarten curriculum

My husband and I have decided to homeschool my daughter for Kindergarten starting next fall and see how it goes. I really would like something for the first to year that tells me what to do each day. I also would like something that is going to cover all of the basic subjects thoroughly (math, phonics, handwriting, reading) because there is a possibility that we may attend a school the next year and I want to make sure we are on track.

foggierbard9 11-08-2012 11:11 AM

Re: Detailed and thorough kindergarten curriculum

Are you wanting a religious based curriculum or a secular based curriculum?

We use My Father's World Kindergarten and it covers everything and tells you what to do each day. It really works for us and we really like that it was/is all inclusive.

3 ladybugs 11-08-2012 11:57 AM

I am using Calvert K with my son right now and it fits the bill for what your asking for. It also has a lot more. I have a referral code for you to get 10% if you would like to have it. http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/...m/kindergarten There is the link to what you get. If you have any questions please just ask. I am on lesson 30 today.

AVeryHappyMama 11-08-2012 01:42 PM

I agree with Jennifer. Calvert K sounds like what you are wanting!

nursenmom 11-08-2012 03:02 PM

I've not heard of the Calvert K so I'll definitely be checking into that, thank you! Ideally I would prefer a religious based curriculum but I'm open to others. I've heard good thing about MFW as well but I had also thought I heard that it was lacking in some areas. What areas though, or if this is even true, I can't remember

HeatherlovesCDs 11-08-2012 03:51 PM

I am a MFW user and we enjoy it. It works well for our family. HOWEVER, if I knew I was definitely putting my child in school the following year, I wouldn't choose it. When they are finished with K, the child can read basic CVC words. Phonically, it doesn't take children as far in reading as many other programs do. Comparing with my friends children who were in school were reading on a higher level than my son and not just because my son doesn't like reading. ;) When you use it with their program for 1st, it is fine for reading because they teach everything else in 1st very quickly. But, if I knew I was going to send my child to school, I would want a more advanced phonics program because I feel this is more basic.

Also, the math is hands-on. There isn't a clearly laid out math program. Many people don't find that to be a problem. K math is easy to teach in a hands on way as long as you know what they need to know. Others don't like that. I felt that I needed more hand holding to know what to teach and when. So, we got Singapore math.

All of that said though....I still really do love the MFW K program. I like the gentle intro to schooling. It was perfect for us and for my son. I don't have any issues with going slowly in the early years and actually prefer it. I think they move too fast in schools, personally. But, I wanted you to know that it is a more basic program.

7mom7 11-08-2012 03:56 PM

I liked Heart of Dakota b/c it spells out the daily assignments spelled out in a simple way. We tried their preschool and I liked it but my DS is advanced in some areas and not in others so I found piecing stuff together worked better for us now that he's doing K. If I was looking for a full curriculum I'd go back to HOD in a flash.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-08-2012 04:11 PM

I wanted to add...if I was in your situation, I would almost definitely go with A Beka. They have a very good and advanced program. Their program is used in MANY, maybe even most, Christian schools. It's been used for years. It's tried and true so to speak. In fact, I'm thinking of switching to them for our phonics for 2nd grade and beyond and possibly even using it for my soon to be K'ers next year instead of the MFW K phonics. But, that is just me. :)

Sugar&SpiceX3 11-08-2012 04:19 PM

I loved A Beka as well for K. It was easy to teach and easy for her to pick up.

*KaiMom* 11-08-2012 10:09 PM

I agree with others, A Beka is the way to go. They layout everything and cover every subject.