Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Good idea or not? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461818)

hohaas 11-08-2012 01:14 PM

Good idea or not?

I currently have a great supply and make enough to be able to donate 600-800 oz a month on top of feeding my DD. My question is I'd love to be able to produce even more to be able to donate more milk to babies in need. If I make enough milk already will domperidone increase my supply even more? I already eat oatmeal every morning, fenugreek/blessed thistle doesn't work for me, and I hate tea so that is out of the question to bump up my supply.

edgbar 11-10-2012 09:47 PM

Re: Good idea or not?

I'm not entirely sure, but I will say that I took domperidone and I think it did increase my supply. While it was sufficient for my son, I would not categorize myself as having oversupply. Maybe give it a trial for a time and see if it does anything?

vmomma 11-10-2012 09:54 PM

It may, but probably not by enough to make it worth buying and taking 3 times/day. I would also caution that it has the potential to cause weight gain, so if your ok with that risk, go for it!

Connor 11-10-2012 11:04 PM

Yes, it definitely could. Just wanted to say, My goodness you make a ton of milk!!!

Vegan Princess 11-11-2012 03:27 AM

You are so amazing to already donate that much and want to do even more!! As someone who takes Dom and uses donor milk, I have to say I don't think I'd take it if I were you. But likely would have a strong effect. I don't find many side effects but there is a bit of risk to it that I don't think would br worth taking if not entirely necessary. I also get a nice boost from goats rue tincture. Perhaps you could try that?

Great job mama!

Cindy

HeatherlovesCDs 11-11-2012 10:08 AM

What an awesome thing you are doing. :D I've donated in the past and it was a really good feeling knowing you are helping other babies. It may up your supply. It helped mine. But, I probably would not do it. I didn't have any side affects and the risks are low. However, it does go through to your milk. I wouldn't want to have it getting to my child if I was already producing enough. Also, you may find donors would prefer milk that doesn't have traces amounts of that in it. But, you could talk to your recipients and see how they feel and if you don't mind having it get to your baby then go for it. :thumbsup:

However, can I ask you a couple of questions: When I donated, it wasn't nearly as much...maybe 500oz total. But this time around, I'm struggling to find the time to pump. I want to have a very large freezer stash because I've also struggled with low supply as my babies get over 7-9 months. Right now my baby is 4wks and I hardly have any extra in the freezer. :( So, if you don't mind, I have a few questions for you. 1. How old is your baby? 2. When do you pump? 3. If you do it between feedings, how often does your baby nurse? 4. Do you worry about your baby wanting to nurse right after you pump? I'm always worried that I will pump and he will suddenly want to nurse right after, but then I'm empty. It also seems like I make and have a lot more before about 2pm. (This has always been true, for all my kids.) If I pump what I have, then I feel like I'm playing catch up for the rest of the day and there isn't enough. It's like my body stops producing around noon every day. LOL.

hohaas 11-12-2012 07:21 AM

Thanks for all the input ladies! Gonna hold off on it and just keep at what I'm doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
However, can I ask you a couple of questions: When I donated, it wasn't nearly as much...maybe 500oz total. But this time around, I'm struggling to find the time to pump. I want to have a very large freezer stash because I've also struggled with low supply as my babies get over 7-9 months. Right now my baby is 4wks and I hardly have any extra in the freezer. :( So, if you don't mind, I have a few questions for you. 1. How old is your baby? 2. When do you pump? 3. If you do it between feedings, how often does your baby nurse? 4. Do you worry about your baby wanting to nurse right after you pump? I'm always worried that I will pump and he will suddenly want to nurse right after, but then I'm empty. It also seems like I make and have a lot more before about 2pm. (This has always been true, for all my kids.) If I pump what I have, then I feel like I'm playing catch up for the rest of the day and there isn't enough. It's like my body stops producing around noon every day. LOL.

1) My DD is almost 5 mos.
2) I get up and pump at 345 am. I pump at work around 730ish & 1030ish. If I can I will throw in an extra session. At home I will pump 3-4 times b/f I go to bed.
3) My DD nurses every 3ish hrs. I will nurse on one side and pump the other.
4) sometimes I will pump both sides and then she gets hungry. I still will nurse her as I know the pump doesn't express all the milk that's in there and most of the time she is still satisfied. If not, I'll give her some expressed milk.

I think there are times of the day when your body produces more. Seems like it's morning for me. When did you start pumping? I start almost right away.

Pumping isn't convenient that's for sure. Life revolves around nursing and pumping for us and I take my pump with me to places if we are going to be gone long enough for me to need it. I make sure both myself and my kids have things to entertain us with when I pump. At work I have my phone or a book and at home I also have the tv. Makes the time go by quicker.

I also drink LOTS of water. I mean really A LOT. Partly b/c I'm always thirsty but I also know I need to keep the fluids in.

Kätzchen 11-12-2012 09:46 AM

I used to make 100oz per day OVER what my daughter took, I pumped every two hours around the clock and donated to many mamas. At one point I decided to try increasing my supply further (absolutely crazy idea), and ended up with a bad case of mastitis. I loved being able to donate an continued with my first for four years. I am now nursing my second and only pump for my oldest on occasion. I would not take domperidone if I were in your situation

Connor 11-16-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen
I used to make 100oz per day OVER what my daughter took, I pumped every two hours around the clock and donated to many mamas. At one point I decided to try increasing my supply further (absolutely crazy idea), and ended up with a bad case of mastitis. I loved being able to donate an continued with my first for four years. I am now nursing my second and only pump for my oldest on occasion. I would not take domperidone if I were in your situation

100 extra ozs a DAY!?! Wowza! :jawdrop:

jnd2992 11-18-2012 10:37 AM

sorry no help