Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Latch Issue (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461828)

Liadan23 11-08-2012 12:40 PM

Latch Issue

so, i have some concerns about my dd's latch. i'm not really sure what i'm looking for here, but maybe just some ideas for what i can do to try and correct it? both of my kids have had a preference for the left boob. i don't know why, but same one, both of them. getting them to figure out correct latching was always harder on the right side, i always had more nipple damage on that side when we were first starting out. it's also my largest producer. which means, since they don't prefer it, and don't latch as well, it's also the side i always get my reoccurring mastitis in in the early weeks. i got mastitis repeatedly up until about 6-8 weeks with both kids. then it stops, and never came back with ds, and so far hasn't come back again with dd (she's 5 months).

well, anyways, the nipple pain has gone away, things are better now. i still sometimes have a hard time getting her to latch correctly on that side, but usually i can de-latch her and try again, and after a few tries we have something that we can both live with. until this week. she's cutting her first tooth. and i can FEEL it. it scrapes up and down my nipple the whole time she's sucking. only on the right side, the left side, we're all good. but no matter how many times i take her off and put her back on, i can still feel it on the right. eventually, i just live with it, but there's going to start being some damage soon! i'm working full time now, so i pump regularly and removing milk. i don't think i'll get mastitis. but, OUCH! WHY!?! ds had gotten over his preference thing by this age, and had his latch all worked out. i never had any problems when he started teething. he was also several months older though, so maybe that makes a difference? i nursed him for 11 months, i'm not an expert, but not necessarily inexperienced.

anyways, any suggestions? LLL meets on weekday mornings around here. and i work full time. so that's unhelpful. also, i've contacted my local group a couple times early on in my nursing relationship with dd, and they pretty much never responded. or emailed saying they would respond when they got the chance, and then never got back to me. so they're fairly useless to me. i can't afford to hire a LC for this. my ped. is bf'ing friendly, but we were just in there on monday, and it only started to bother me yesterday. it'll be awhile before we go back and i need to figure something out. my family doesn't bf, of all the people i know, i've bf'd the longest. i'm the one OTHER people in my circle of friends/family come to for bf advice. so i really have no one irl to ask.

i know how to get a deep latch. everyone i've ever consulted in person (midwives, and LCs) just does the "shove the baby's face onto my nipple as hard/far as possible" thing. i get it. i know how it works (this was always the solution i was offered for my extreme nipple pain when starting to breastfeed my babies). somehow, i STILL feel it. i dunno, i've always felt like i'm missing something vital here......help!

abunchoflemons 11-08-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Latch Issue

U rug lansinoh? Nipple sim to make smaller b4 latching?my 2nd had probs with my left cuz its bigger. As she grew it was better top or bottom teeth? Top should just rest & it takes some time to get used to it. Know. My baby got teeth at 6 month & ended bfing at 14 because my supply decreased tons. U look into wic group to help with it? Here bth lll & wic/mica meet at nights (second week of month).

Liadan23 11-12-2012 03:46 PM

not a huge fan of lasinoh. it generally makes the pain worse. it's her bottom teeth. if it were top, it wouldn't matter. but the bottom are moving up and down and scraping me!

it was getting better for a few days, but it's bad again now. so i'm bumping for more ideas :( i don't know why we have such an issue latching on this side!

HeatherlovesCDs 11-12-2012 04:10 PM

This is probably a silly question, but are her teeth actually poking through the gums? I only ask because I'm wondering if it is truly her teeth that are bothering you. I find it so hard to pinpoint what the problem is and find myself trying to figure out what is actually going on inside there once they latch on. I wish their cheeks were clear sometimes. :laugh: But, my point is, I'm wondering if it could be something other than her teeth...like yeast. I've had that only one side and then it spread to the other eventually.

If it is definitely teeth, are you trying different holds/positions? If you always use the same hold, then the same spot is being irritated over and over. If you vary the position, at least it will be different for each feed. So, I'd try to alternate between like cradle/cross cradle, football, side-lying, and even sitting straight up if she can do that. I'd get creative with the position to vary the point of irritation and try to prevent an actual sore.

One other thought: I don't like them and don't think I've ever suggested one before, but how about a nipple shield to protect it? If I couldn't fix the problem, I'd probably just try to protect my nip from damage and an open sore which are SOOOOO painful.

I definitely understand how you feel with the one side struggle. My left is like that. I have 6 kids including 2 sets of twins. It was very clear right from my first son that my left was slightly different. In my case, for some reason the nipple was flatter than the other and just hard to latch them onto. It has always been much more prone to being sore and painful. It's always been a big frustration for both me and my children. All of my kids preferred the right...till now. I'm on my 6th baby. He's 4wks old. I realized about a week ago, that my nipple on that side has changed. It isn't nearly as flat as it was when I started out with the first (or with the other kids either). Over time and lots of nursing, it's come out. It still isn't as comfortable as the right side, but I don't have any trouble latching this baby to that breast and he doesn't have the preference that the previous babies all did. So, there is hope that it will change if you keep having kids.

Hang in there. I hope you find some relief. :hugs:

Liadan23 11-13-2012 05:12 PM

thanks for the response :) it's most definitely her tooth. i can feel it with my finger. and if she latches on wrong on the preferred side, it hurts, but then i can take her off and re-latch and we're generally good. i'm trying to change up positions so as to keep from having an open sore, and so far that's been successful. but it still hurts no matter what position i use. i've always wondered if that side, because it's a bigger producer, is either bigger/fuller and therefore harder to latch (i do have to express some on that side if i get really engorged when they're newbies cause they can't latch) or if i maybe have a really strong let-down or something and it bothers them? i dunno. it doesn't seem particularly flat, at least not after the first latch. but maybe it is in a way that is not noticeable to me, but is noticeable to my babies? who knows. anyways, good to know i'm not alone.

i don't really want to have to start using a nipple shield. i've never used one, and it seems unnecessarily fussy to me when i'm so used to the ease of "pull out boob, pop on baby" you know? but i mean, you're right, it's certainly a better option than having to continue until i have open sores on my nipple. we'll see. now that we're into the work week, i only get to nurse her twice a day anyways, and i pump the rest of the time. so that is giving me a bit of a break. i'm hoping that maybe with a few more weeks' practice, she'll figure it out.

kocho 11-14-2012 08:02 PM

Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing as far as the latch. I'm sure you're waiting for the wide open mouth and allowing her head to fall back as if taking a bite of a big sandwhich.

I would definately keep changing up the positions to find something less painful. If you are having a powerful letdown, the position laying on your back with the baby up and down on your tummy helps slow the flow.

Using a gel pad (frozen) before and/or after nursing may help with the pain. If you think the baby is using you for a teether . . . my solution was to stop nursing, put the baby down and leave her to get upset. Before long she realized that biting down was stopping her lunch!!

Hope some of this helps.

Xanders 11-15-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liadan23
so, i have some concerns about my dd's latch. i'm not really sure what i'm looking for here, but maybe just some ideas for what i can do to try and correct it? both of my kids have had a preference for the left boob. i don't know why, but same one, both of them. getting them to figure out correct latching was always harder on the right side, i always had more nipple damage on that side when we were first starting out. it's also my largest producer. which means, since they don't prefer it, and don't latch as well, it's also the side i always get my reoccurring mastitis in in the early weeks. i got mastitis repeatedly up until about 6-8 weeks with both kids. then it stops, and never came back with ds, and so far hasn't come back again with dd (she's 5 months).

well, anyways, the nipple pain has gone away, things are better now. i still sometimes have a hard time getting her to latch correctly on that side, but usually i can de-latch her and try again, and after a few tries we have something that we can both live with. until this week. she's cutting her first tooth. and i can FEEL it. it scrapes up and down my nipple the whole time she's sucking. only on the right side, the left side, we're all good. but no matter how many times i take her off and put her back on, i can still feel it on the right. eventually, i just live with it, but there's going to start being some damage soon! i'm working full time now, so i pump regularly and removing milk. i don't think i'll get mastitis. but, OUCH! WHY!?! ds had gotten over his preference thing by this age, and had his latch all worked out. i never had any problems when he started teething. he was also several months older though, so maybe that makes a difference? i nursed him for 11 months, i'm not an expert, but not necessarily inexperienced.

anyways, any suggestions? LLL meets on weekday mornings around here. and i work full time. so that's unhelpful. also, i've contacted my local group a couple times early on in my nursing relationship with dd, and they pretty much never responded. or emailed saying they would respond when they got the chance, and then never got back to me. so they're fairly useless to me. i can't afford to hire a LC for this. my ped. is bf'ing friendly, but we were just in there on monday, and it only started to bother me yesterday. it'll be awhile before we go back and i need to figure something out. my family doesn't bf, of all the people i know, i've bf'd the longest. i'm the one OTHER people in my circle of friends/family come to for bf advice. so i really have no one irl to ask.

i know how to get a deep latch. everyone i've ever consulted in person (midwives, and LCs) just does the "shove the baby's face onto my nipple as hard/far as possible" thing. i get it. i know how it works (this was always the solution i was offered for my extreme nipple pain when starting to breastfeed my babies). somehow, i STILL feel it. i dunno, i've always felt like i'm missing something vital here......help!

Look for "When Latching" from Dr Jack Newman. Also try the football hold on the side they don't like. DS sometimes would get bad latches at first & I just took him off until it was right.

solobluedancer 11-15-2012 06:51 PM

I used to have a baby (he's almost three now) that loved the left and hated the right. I hated the right too, it was hard to nurse him. Here's what I did, I hope you can picture it.

Hold her in the same position as you would the left. Use a boopy or pillows but have her body hanging off your body. So she is nursing in the same position as the left. I also had good success with the football hold.

I hope things get better for you.

abunchoflemons 11-17-2012 10:27 AM

My lll leader said she will look. I found odd urs aren't replying well. Help is in the works.

abunchoflemons 12-11-2012 10:40 PM

Ok all I got tonight as I may have missed stuff being as I had to pee is are you sure its sorry for spelling but it sounded like bleth. Try olive oil, or vinegar maybe in cotton ball. Every other time I could try to get to meeting we had meltdowns. you could try putting her in position like solobluedancer suggested (left position on right breast). Try to make sure that tongue is is there to help protect breast.