Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Flowering Baby vs. Instant Curriculum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461914)

TypeAMom 11-08-2012 05:57 PM

Flowering Baby vs. Instant Curriculum

Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between these two books? I've heard of Flowering Baby, but "The Instant Curriculum: Over 750 Developmentally Appropriate Learning Activities for Busy Teachers of Young Children" (long title, eh?) is new to me. I haven't tried either, but was going to ask for Flowering Baby for X-Mas, but I now have access to borrow the latter from the library. Should I just try Instant Curriculum and then Flowering Baby if it doesn't meet my needs? Anyone tried both?

AVeryHappyMama 11-08-2012 08:20 PM

Re: Flowering Baby vs. Instant Curriculum

I haven't seen the book to compare it. It is at our library so I'll take a look. We do use the age 3 Flowering Baby. Initially from reading the reviews I expect them to be a bit different, mainly in that the FB CDs contain daily ideas and include many different areas like books to read each day, music to listen to, etc. But we'll see when I get hold of it. But yes, even if you do ask for FB, go ahead and check it out. I've used some activities from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready alongside Flowering Baby!

AVeryHappyMama 11-09-2012 02:53 PM

They are pretty different in what they cover and how. In Instant Curriculum, it's up to you to decide what you are teaching and when. It is simply hundreds of activities for preschoolers that teach certain concepts. It's a good selection and they are well written. Has a definite "classroom" feel for the activities, though looks pretty adaptable for at-home use. You would have to decide what your child is ready for at a certain age and plan out your own schedule. It's a resource guide for the teacher. I could easily see it combined with "Peak With Books".

Flowering Baby has done the work for you. The activities are divided into five levels, one CD a level, from infancy through the fifth birthday (that aspect is sort of like Slow & Steady). There are activities for each weekday of the month, 12 months of the year (we do 4 days a week here). Your resources for each month are listed for you to make it easy, and you are given a list of suggestions what to cover each day.

So it really depends on whether you want to sit down and plan everything out, when your child is ready for each activity, or if you want most of that work done for you.

TypeAMom 11-10-2012 09:33 AM

Thanks for your help!! I got The Instant Curriculum yesterday from the library, but it's the old version (has 500 activities). The old version has a section in the back that breaks down what activities you should do each month of the year, but it doesn't seem very cohesive. It sounds like Flowering Baby is more like unit study which I like b/c I think it reinforces the material. Thanks again. Keeping Flowering Baby on my wish list. Wonder if it can be purchased used, b/c that's how I usually purchase books.

AVeryHappyMama 11-11-2012 02:04 PM

It will be hard because Flowering Baby isn't the most well-known. I have seen them from time to time. Try ISOing on here, maybe searching homeschool classifieds, and also I've seen a few use it on The Well Trained Mind forums (they have a FSOT there too).